Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trip to the Tropics: Fungus concern??

Hello PF Community!

My Fiance and I are getting married in St. John, USVI in June, 2016.
I'm definitely bringing my gear, but I'm worried about potential issues regarding fungus... Maybe you all can help ease my worries and provide sound advice in helping prevent growth.

We will be there for 10 days total.
The first 4 nights will be in a beach front room with AC.
The last 5 nights will be in the hills, no AC and only ceiling fans.
I've been told by multiple accounts that it will be incredibly humid. But it is also following the rainy season of May, so the wildlife and wild flowers are in full effect.
I'll likely be bringing Rokinon 16mm f2, 50mm f1.7, 18-135wr, K-30 (Unless I buy a K-3ii by then )...

Is 10 days not enough time for fungus to grow?
Is that plenty of time?
Should I be worried about not having AC the last half of our stay?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Last edited by UserAccessDenied; 09-08-2015 at 09:29 AM.
09-08-2015, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bring powder for your feet, and wear sandals to keep your toes aired out--or go barefoot as much as possible? ;-P
09-08-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you could always rent gear and not have to worry about it, especially since you have plenty of time to plan ahead......
09-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
Yos
Veteran Member

I've been travelling to a lot of humid places in Asia for longer period of times and so far I have not got fungus on any of my photo equipment.
I would recommend to bring some extra silica pads and place in your camera and lens bag. And make sure your gear is stored where there is some ventilation.
The ceiling fans should be enough as you will not be there for a long period of time.

09-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest issue I've experienced in humid climates is condensation with the transition from and AC cooled room or building to outside, which creates a lot of condensation. I've read that placing your equipment in a large ziploc bag before going out (and letting it transition before removing from the bag) helps as the condensation will build on the exterior of the bag instead of on and inside your camera gear. I read this after my experience, which I had to wait a bit for my lens to clear up from the haze of condensation in the lens. However, no fungus with the lens after I returned despite the condensation build up I experienced.
09-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
The biggest issue I've experienced in humid climates is condensation with the transition from and AC cooled room or building to outside
This is the real issue, and even that is pretty short-lived. I wouldn't worry about it. Have a towel to pat-dry gear that actually gets wet; understand that when you go from AC to outside your lens will fog up, but it will clear; air things out when you get home; and enjoy the trip.
09-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most likely your gear will dry up in the dry air of the aircraft cabin during your return trip (assuming you carry them).

Seb
09-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
This is the real issue, and even that is pretty short-lived. I wouldn't worry about it. Have a towel to pat-dry gear that actually gets wet; understand that when you go from AC to outside your lens will fog up, but it will clear; air things out when you get home; and enjoy the trip.
thanks!
So no worries about not having AC for the second half of the trip?
Just keep a fan on my gear when it's inside?

09-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've not been on that island, but I visited St. Thomas.
Well, it is the island, which means breeze even when it's hot and sometimes humid. I would not worry at all. Just try not to bring your cold gear from very cold air conditioned room out into muggy condition (if it will be muggy there).
Anyway, I live in humid climate, I had the situation when camera and lenses were foggy, but no fungus. Don't worry, it will be just fine, and enjoy your trip.
09-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have traveled extensively in Costa Rica and tropical Northern Australia. I haven't had fungus issues, but I have had condensation issues, especially my 400mm f5.6 Sigma and 55-300 DA Pentax. For the later lens I wish I had the sealed version. However everything cleared up eventually.
09-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
placing your equipment in a large ziploc bag before going out
Definitely, condensation is a bigger hazard with sudden temp changes. Desiccant packs are helpful tool.