Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

HD 1.4x Teleconverter may need a repair...

A few weeks ago I dropped my K-3 + HD 1.4x AW Rear Converter + FA* 300mm f/4.5. The lens mount to the body of the camera sheared off and I sent the body off to Precision for repair. Just got it back and everything on the body works just fine. Focus is spot on without any adjustment. I'm happy with the repair.

My issue is that now that I have my body back it is quite clear that the HD 1.4x AW Rear Converter suffered some (hidden) damage. The behavior is: when mounted to the body with any lens attached in front of the converter the camera cannot detect what lens is attached. If however I press the lens DOWN slightly the electrical signals make a connection and the camera+lens behaves properly.

So what's the consensus here: send it in for repair? (if so, to whom? -- bearing in mind that Precision charges $300 minimum) Or should I attempt some surgery myself?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michael

09-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you try pressing the converter tighter to the mount without touching the lenses? If that has the same effect the repair they did may be slightly less tolerant of variances in the mount fit. If that's the case I would send the converter and camera and ask them to fix it since their previous repair only half fixed it.
09-08-2015, 05:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you try pressing the converter tighter to the mount without touching the lenses? If that has the same effect the repair they did may be slightly less tolerant of variances in the mount fit. If that's the case I would send the converter and camera and ask them to fix it since their previous repair only half fixed it.
Well it clearly is just the HD 1.4x Rear Converter in that all my other lenses work properly by themselves with the newly repaired body.
Any other thoughts?

Michael
09-08-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Can you tell if it is the connection between the TC and lens and not the connection between the TC and camera? Either the male or female mount on the TC must be bent a little. This could be very risky, but you might take an old useless lens and useless camera and pry the lens up a little to try to "bend" the mount back. It's probably not going to take much movement.

Of course you could check it more scientifically, if you know anybody that does precision measuring you can probably pinpoint the damaged area. Most likely you could probably do it yourself with some basic calipers.

Maybe some other shop could repair it cheaper.

A three hundred dollar repair puts it close enough to the price of a new one that make a do-it-yourself repair possibly a choice. I would hate to have your decision, good luck in whatever you choose.

09-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

Does the lens feel as snug when you mount the lens on the TC as before? The female mount may be off perpendicular (think the Tower of PIsa). The mount on the camera body uses springs to tension the tabs on the bayonet. Often times a TC will use metal fingers in place of springs. These can get deformed and maybe you just need to spread the fingers on the side of the electrical contacts to provide more tension. A flat jeweler's screwdriver is all that is needed.

You might contact KEH repair for a quote.
09-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm... probably not good news: I have established that the problem is definitely on the side that mounts to the camera body. Additionally, I have taken a micrometer to the converter and identified that there is indeed variation in the measured depth of the converter to the tune of 3/1000th inch delta at different measuring points.

I guess it kinda got "squished" when it fell. Certainly would make for a damn expensive extension tube.

Michael
09-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
hmmm... probably not good news: I have established that the problem is definitely on the side that mounts to the camera body. Additionally, I have taken a micrometer to the converter and identified that there is indeed variation in the measured depth of the converter to the tune of 3/1000th inch delta at different measuring points.

I guess it kinda got "squished" when it fell. Certainly would make for a damn expensive extension tube.

Michael
That actually might be good news. If the problem were on the Lens mount side that would be harder to replace. As it is a cheap broken lens might supply a replacement mount pretty easily. (Or an A series TC - but you'd have to drill out the hold for the screwdrive)