Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

Who made Polaris lenses???

Just wondering if someone knows who manufactured Polaris lenses...

They were made in Japan so I was thinking Komine or Cosina but cant find anything on the net from searching google.

I just picked up a 135mm f1.8 (M42) made by Polaris and was curious. I think it is a 82mm filter size but am also unsure of that as well. I was planning on waiting until it arrived to buy a UV filter and screw in metal lens hood.

Thanks if anyone happens to know.

06-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photobizzz Quote
Just wondering if someone knows who manufactured Polaris lenses...

They were made in Japan so I was thinking Komine or Cosina but cant find anything on the net from searching google.

I just picked up a 135mm f1.8 (M42) made by Polaris and was curious. I think it is a 82mm filter size but am also unsure of that as well. I was planning on waiting until it arrived to buy a UV filter and screw in metal lens hood.

Thanks if anyone happens to know.
Got any pictures?
06-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Polaris 135mm f1.8 (M42 Mount)
Attached Images

06-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photobizzz Quote
J
These 135/1.8 lenses were sold under quite a few brands (Soligor springs to my mind, but also Spiratone). This is the old version, there is a newer one, which was also sold by Porst. The newer ones might (? - but this is not 100 % certain) have been made bei Tomioka. There are some reports to confirm this. I correspnded about that topic with Zeiss, who bought Tomioka and the Zeiss representative tried to inquire about the origins of this lens. Facts are sparse, but Tomioka seems to have produced a 135/1.8 and ceratinly did not market it under its own brand. BUT all the Tomioka archives have been binned (literally), when Zeiss took it over. There is no written/printed robust proof, that the newer 135/1.8 lenses where really made by Tomioka, just some verbal evidence.

Some people report the 135/1.8 to be made by Sigma. This might be the case, too. And as those simple retail brands as Spiratone, Porst or Polaris sourced their lenses from diffferent suppliers, according to best price or availability, it might just be, that some of the 135/1.8 were made by Tomioka, others by Sigma and even more by another manufacturer.

Ben

06-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply ben, that explains why info is so scarece on the net about these lenses.
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
DSG
Inactive Account

There are at least four different optical schemes used in the old 135mm f1.8 lenses. The Polaris has 6 elements in 4 groups and is optically identical to the Spiratone (the normal version), Rayonx Polaris, Carena, Beroflex and Samigon:

Last edited by DSG; 03-16-2013 at 03:47 AM.