Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K,M,A,F, FA lens VS 30+mp FF Camera

Hi folks,

I always have a concern in mind, whether if Pentax launches a FF camera with above 30 mega pixels, does any of these lenses stand upto the mark of delivering to the best of the FF? If not immediate, sometime in future, definitely I will go in FF route, is it right thing to stack up any of the existing old glass for FF? Sure, their new DFA lenses will burn my pockets. Thanks!!

09-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ntrao Quote
Hi folks,

I always have a concern in mind, whether if Pentax launches a FF camera with above 30 mega pixels, does any of these lenses stand upto the mark of delivering to the best of the FF? If not immediate, sometime in future, definitely I will go in FF route, is it right thing to stack up any of the existing old glass for FF? Sure, their new DFA lenses will burn my pockets. Thanks!!
yes there are guys on here that use K glass on 32mp sony a7r with fantastic results. So FF Pentax will be great FF..my hope is that the sony sensor they will use has very thin filter..the sony a7 is a little thick which makes very edge of 17mm or wider muddy
09-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
High-quality glass from many years ago will still perform well.

Remember that a FF at 30 MP will have larger pixels (less demanding) than a K-3 at 24 MP. If the resolution is much higher, then this doesn't stand true anymore of course.
09-11-2015, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 24MP Pentax K3 has a pixel pitch of 3.88 microns (Pentax K-3 Sensor Info & Specifications)
The 50MP Canon 5DS has a pixel pitch of 4.13 microns (Canon EOS 5DS Sensor Info & Specifications)
The 16MP Pentax K50 has a pixel pitch of 4.78 microns (Pentax K-50 Sensor Info & Specifications)
The 36MP Nikon D810 has a pixel pitch of 4.87 microns (Nikon D810 Sensor Info & Specifications)
The 10MP Pentax K10D has a pixel pitch of 6.07 microns (Pentax K10D Sensor Info & Specifications)

What that means to me is that if a lens performs well on the K50, it is already doing so on smaller pixels than all but the Canon 5DS in this list. The lens on a K3 is doing so on even smaller Pixels than the 5DS uses. To my way of thinking this means that if a lens resolves well on even the K50 it will resolve as well on the D810 sensor at least in the center of the frame. The border performance on full frame is not as well known but film shooters and Sony shooters seem to get good edge performance from the majority of the lenses which makes me think these will do fine on the FF digital as well.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-11-2015 at 12:24 PM.
09-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The border performance on full frame is not as well known but film shooters and Sony shooters seem to get good edge performance from the majority of the lenses which makes me think these will do fine on the FF digital as well.
Vignetting will be the main source of problems. Corner sharpness will come second. Both should be at least decent with good lenses.

Thanks for supporting my post with numbers
09-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Thanks for supporting my post with numbers
Ironically when I started my post you hadn't posted yet. Great minds think alike... it just took a while to get my sources and details while doing other tasks.
09-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

+1 on the Sony A7.
Since this is now a FF post in the lens forum section , lets go even further ! Just WHEN....is FF supposed to rear its ugly little invisible head and actually be released so we don't have to make any more educated guesses and speculation in our wildest Dreams about.....well....Just about Everything ???
09-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think if you look back at the K10D vs. K50 you can see how overall resolution might have been lower using the K10 than the K50. In the same way some lenses might show a drop in fine detail moving from the K3 to the new FF - but I doubt it since I doubt any lens/sensor combination is operating right on the edge right now.

09-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah, it definitely depends on the specific lens. Primes and the better zoom lenses should be okay. They will be no worse than on a K-3. Keep in mind that even if they don't out resolve the sensor, they will still look better than on a sensor that has lower MP, as long as you are looking at the whole photo. Only in 100% closeup crops can this become a problem. But some lenses from back in the day were bad even on film, and these will not get significantly better on digital.

And one other thing is that image quality is more than just resolution. Some lenses have a good enough resolution, but they have low contrast, poor flare resistance, high CA..
09-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But some lenses from back in the day were bad even on film, and these will not get significantly better on digital.

And one other thing is that image quality is more than just resolution. Some lenses have a good enough resolution, but they have low contrast, poor flare resistance, high CA..
All too true!
09-11-2015, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And one other thing is that image quality is more than just resolution. Some lenses have a good enough resolution, but they have low contrast, poor flare resistance, high CA.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Vignetting will be the main source of problems. Corner sharpness will come second. Both should be at least decent with good lenses.
You two nailed it. I've been using numerous prime K,M,A,F, FA on a Canon 6D for some time now, and these comments are spot on.

I've been compiling some test numbers specific to full frame for a while now. Since we're getting close to the FF announcement date, I'll try to post the results to the forum within a few days.