Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hood Injury

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey all!

I was photographing sports at a school today, and at one point a dodgeball, the small soft foamy kind, hit the front of my HD DA 55-300 pretty hard. I had my lens hood on, so there isn't any problem with the lens, but the hood became skewed at a funny angle, half on and half off. I unjammed it an removed it, and now it does not lock as well or as securely. There is one obviously broken piece in the hood, shown in the attached picture. It isn't worth replacing it, any suggestions on fixing it? Does anyone know the importance of that piece of the hood in the whole scheme of attaching the hood to the lens?

Thanks in advance

09-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's what holds it on. If you can find a glue that will hold you could fix it, but thatt may be difficult.

You can buy a knockoff hood pretty reasonably for the 55-300.
09-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You can buy a knockoff hood pretty reasonably for the 55-300.
It seems a shame to do so, because the hood is perfectly fine, it is just that one crack.
09-11-2015, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The hood did its job- to protect the lens. Time for a replacement IMO!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the plastic is ABS - it could probably be glued with a plastic 'welder' - something like Tenax-7r or Ambroid ProWeld liquid cement.
09-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you have some sort of two-component adhesive, superglue or similar glue at home try it, otherwise I think it might be more favourable buying a new hood.
09-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I think the plastic is ABS - it could probably be glued with a plastic 'welder' - something like Tenax-7r or Ambroid ProWeld liquid cement.
QuoteQuote:
If you have some sort of two-component adhesive, superglue or similar glue at home try it, otherwise I think it might be cheaper buying a new hood.
ok, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Time for a replacement IMO!
Even on Ebay the cheapest legit hoods are about $40, too much for my budget!

09-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

Plus one to this. I worked with plastics in model rocketry for a long time. The only really good bond is a plastic weld.
09-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A long time ago, I fixed my 100f/4 macro hood by knocking the glass out of an appropriately sized filter, and gluing the ring to the hood,
Not sure with the current hoods, but maybe by use of a step down ring (62->58?) you could glue some threads on that hood?
Would lose the quick on and off, but if you could get the parts glued together tightly, it would be a secure connection to the lens
Would need to check for vignetting at 55 as I suspect this might end up pushing the hood out a bit farther.
09-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
Banned

How about this.... http://www.amazon.com/58MM-Lens-Essentials-Kit-Reversible/dp/B005LXNU3U/ref=...tax+lense+hood
09-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That hood is made for a much shorter zoom - likely 17mm minimum or 18mm minimum. Far less effective than the original. The ebay linked hood from earlier was under $5 and is a knock off of the original including the tab for the polarizer.
09-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That hood is made for a much shorter zoom - likely 17mm minimum or 18mm minimum. Far less effective than the original. The ebay linked hood from earlier was under $5 and is a knock off of the original including the tab for the polarizer.

Didn't notice the first link, and judging by the OP's response, neither did he (but that hood would surely be the best option). In any case, though the one I linked to is a tad short (it's mounted on a 50mm BTW), it seems he's more interested in the protection of a hard hood than the shading ability of a longer one (otherwise, a rubber hood would do), and the shorter one would fit the bill without having to wait a month for it to arrive from overseas.
09-12-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yup, i just saw that link. I think i'll probably get that, since it is so inexpensive!
09-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
On an unrelated note, the same day my rear e-dial on my k-30 stopped functioning briefly, until i turned it on and off. Should I be concerned?
09-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
On an unrelated note, the same day my rear e-dial on my k-30 stopped functioning briefly, until i turned it on and off. Should I be concerned?
Only if the problem gets to be a repeat performance.