Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #1

Pentax 60-250 Zoom Ring Not Smooth

I just received my Pentax DA* 60-250 today from Adorama- The lens is very tight when i zoom and not smooth at all - In fact I have ti turn the lens very forcefully at some points to get it to zoom, I am concerned that such a tight lens will make me miss shots while I am using the zoom function - Is this common for this lens or is it possible that i have received a faulty lens?

09-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds normal, it has a tight zone zooming out around 135mm , pretty smooth other way around, something to do with the weather seals and zoom extension.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 09-11-2015 at 07:35 PM.
09-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Sounds normal, it has a tight zone zooming out around 135mm , pretty smooth other way around, something to do with the weather seals and zoom extension.
Mine is very similar to this. I can also clarify that for me at least the slower I turn the less resistance there is. Only when I turn really fast do I even notice the resistance. It is the highest right around 135 as mentioned above. Also as mentioned it is mainly noticed zooming out - zooming back down towards 60 there is less resistance. Also I can confirm that opening some of the rubber ports on my K3 I feel air rush in and out and the zooming gets a little easier.

Now - all that being said, I never noticed this until you talked about it and I wouldn't characterize it as tight or hard to zoom - I can do it with two fingers modestly gripping my lens. My copy was purchased used and may have been broken in some before I got it.
09-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It could just be more resistance than you're used to. After all, it's a pretty long lens and zooming is not internal. Also, the weather seals add additional pressure.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As this is about a lens and not a camera, I've moved it to the lens discussion forum.
09-12-2015, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
it gets better with time. If you zoom out with lens pointing downwards, there's no resistance. Same if you point up and zoom back. Stick with it. Minor issue for such a great lens.
09-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the large zoom, all the elements , and the weather sealing make for a engineering marvel. All zooms suck.... air that is. Its probably Stiff because of the seals and the beautiful glass being moved back and forth. I wouldnt worry about it. Just enjoy and keep shooting!

09-12-2015, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
This is why I love this forum - All of you gave me such good reassurances and I went out to the Dallas Zoo with it and absolutely love the lens - tack sharp and the IQ and color rendition is absolutely spectacular. Thanks for all of your opinions - This lens is truly a jewel within the Pentax lineup