Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
EMERGENCY!!!!!!! How bad is it really? Broken 50-135

Camera took a spill, lens didn't fair to well. nothing internal seems broken or dislodged. All lenses are intact. However, the lens mount literally broke off in my camera as the lens became separated from it's mount. I'm so disgusted, it's heartbreaking. Saved many months to finally own a premium piece of glass, and this...........on just it's second shoot.

Attached Images

Last edited by nms_photog; 09-12-2015 at 04:40 PM.
09-12-2015, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Argh!!!!!!!!!
Yes that needs repair. I have seen lenses dropped that looked unharmed and still worked fr an SDM perspective but lost all focus even manual didn't help.

At a minimum it wil need that part put back and a check of lens alignments.
09-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch! Talk to Precision, but be prepared to wait and have no communication. Yes, I am biased. I have no faith in Precision. Better yet, talk to KEH in Atlanta. Closer to you, and you stand a better chance of conversing to a real person.
09-12-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well, the zoom ring became dislodged, and the aperture lever is bent enough it no longer works within the broken mount. All mount screws torn loose from their respective seats as well. I'll be sending it in for repair estimates, but I'm suresI'd be better off just buying a good used one.

09-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I dropped my 50-135 about 2 years ago.

The mount did not come off but the focus ring and zoom rings would not move and it could not auto focus. And it looked bent a little. I sent it off for repair and got it back after a month.

Still works fine and its still my favorite lens of all time.
09-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Do you see any sheared off screws, or are they all still intact?
Screws are all still intact, as they screw into a plastic interior base.

QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I dropped my 50-135 about 2 years ago.

The mount did not come off but the focus ring and zoom rings would not move and it could not auto focus. And it looked bent a little. I sent it off for repair and got it back after a month.

Still works fine and its still my favorite lens of all time.
How much was your repair bill, and who'd you have do the work?
09-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

I feel for you, I dropped my new to me 60-250 on my first real shoot with it and while it looks physically undamaged, it is no longer sharp. It totally sucks

Try KEH, also check with camerafix.com (I'm researching this company now). Both have flat-rate pricing less expensive than Precision.

KEH said I would need to send mine to Precision, but maybe you will have better luck.

09-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, Man, that's a horrible feeling! Sympathies to ya--I've been there.
09-12-2015, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That lens is pining for the fjords.
09-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, it depends how handy you are, inspection first, where are the screws ? Is it a plastic or metal mount ? Is there any broken plastic elements ? If yes, they can be repaired using epoxy.
IMO you have damaged plastic parts because if it had been 100% metal screw threads, I think your camera body mount would have broken first or anything else...
IDK how much your lens cost, it is surely much cheaper to have it repaired by a pro in the U.S. than in France. If such a thing happened to me, I would have to repair it myself, sell it for parts or keep it for parts because repairing services here would cost more than the lens !

I know this is not very honnest, but can't you use your warranty ? Telling the zoom just drop from the body while you were holding the camera body and walking... this type of production fail can't be tested on sold items, they are only tested on prototypes during product development cycle. If this lens is expensive and brand new, Pentax could do a commercial kindness replacing it. I would try this first
09-12-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any repair person would see that this was caused by impact. Manufacturers warranties only cover manufacturing defects. Some add-on warranties cover everything. I guess this would be a selling point for such warranties. The only camera company that I have ever seen do "commercial kindness" was Minolta, and you see how it helped them ( they decided that the camera business wasn't worth it).
09-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #12

Does your household insurance cover accidental damage? If so then you may have a claim there.
09-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sounds to me like just reshape the aperture lever and re-thread with the next size screws.
Can't imagine the repair costing too much. (if you're lucky).
09-13-2015, 03:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, the internal build quality of this lens is a disappointment.
The metal bayonet looks solid from the outside, but the next internal level reveals 4 screws in plastic, not what you expect from a '*' grade lens.
09-13-2015, 03:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Does your household insurance cover accidental damage? If so then you may have a claim there.
I was just thinking of that, many of these insurances have options to cover these kind of accidents^^

Anyway, I feel sad for you, mainly if you had to save money to buy it. I'm not so materialist but hate these unlucky facts when they occur !
And this post shows that modern design has a much shorter life (MTBF) than old stuff. My old M lenses would break my flat floor if falling^^