Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That lens is pining for the fjords.
No, it's just resting.

09-13-2015, 04:36 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Sounds to me like just reshape the aperture lever and re-thread with the next size screws.
Can't imagine the repair costing too much. (if you're lucky).

And then put it on e-bay as mint condition......

09-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
How much was your repair bill, and who'd you have do the work?
I will see if I still have the bill somewhere. It came to about 150$ I think. The work was done by whoever was the official US repair service before the current one
09-13-2015, 07:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would definitely check with your home insurance. I had my camera gear specifically added to my policy for about $50 year, but maybe they will still be willing to help you out even if you haven't done that.

Here's a thread I just created with more information about my policy, in case it's of any use to anyone else:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/303777-get-...ml#post3370068

09-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a race to the bottom with product quality. They just don't make them like they used to. Low cost has priority over build quality. The bad economy isn't helping here—consumers can't afford it.

—DragonLord
09-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Yeah, the internal build quality of this lens is a disappointment.
The metal bayonet looks solid from the outside, but the next internal level reveals 4 screws in plastic, not what you expect from a '*' grade lens.
Yeah, exactly!!!!!! I heard the impact and didn't want to look. When I did, and seen the lens lying on the ground separated from the camera, my first thought was the camera broke. When I picked all the pieces up,I too was very disappointed in that a solid metal bayonet mount on a $1000 lens is screwed into a plastic support.
09-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by nms_photog Quote
Yeah, exactly!!!!!! I heard the impact and didn't want to look. When I did, and seen the lens lying on the ground separated from the camera, my first thought was the camera broke. When I picked all the pieces up,I too was very disappointed in that a solid metal bayonet mount on a $1000 lens is screwed into a plastic support.
I imagine the lens is designed to break there to minimize damage elsewhere, kind of like crumple zones in modern cars.

It still sucks though, but imagine with a fall like that if it hadn't broken there, it could have destroyed the camera as well as the lens.

09-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
I imagine the lens is designed to break there to minimize damage elsewhere, kind of like crumple zones in modern cars.

It still sucks though, but imagine with a fall like that if it hadn't broken there, it could have destroyed the camera as well as the lens.
That might actually have some truth to it. Luckily for me, I always shoot with the hood on. Or else, at minimum..........the front lens element would have busted into pieces as well. Cause even with a protective U/V filter (which I don't use) the fall was so hard directly on the forward lip of the lens, that wouldn't have saved it.
09-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #24

Original Poster
Talked with the Pentax guru Erick earlier, and he's gonna have a look-see to find out if it can even be fixed.
09-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #25

Original Poster
***UPDATE***

Well, Erick said he's unable to repair it and that Pentax authorized repair is going to be my only option, as a support post that's an actual part of the internal frame of the lens broke and therefore needs a completely new focus/zoom mechanism which the support is a part of. But said that it is at least repairable, and worth fixing if the cost isn't too high. He estimates Precision's charge will be in the neighborhood of $300-$400
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

***UPDATE***

Well, Erick said he's unable to repair it and that Pentax authorized repair is going to be my only option, as a support post that's an actual part of the internal frame of the lens broke and therefore needs a completely new focus/zoom mechanism which the support is a part of. But said that it is at least repairable, and worth fixing if the cost isn't too high. He estimates Precision's charge will be in the neighborhood of $300-$400
Not to rain on your parade but you may want to try to talk to them before you send it. There is another thread around here that describes a 12-24 that was waiting for a part for many months and when it came in and they tried to repair it the focus rail was damaged and that part is no longer available. This may not apply to your lens at all but it might be worth getting clear details from them on parts availability before you send it to them and find out months later that they can't help you.
01-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #27

Original Poster
Final update. After two months in Precision's hands, the lens was finally returned and deemed un-repairable. They waited fir a couple parts from Japan and still couldn't get the lens to work right. Give then credit fir trying, but I figured it was a lost cause anyways so it was worth a try. Only being charged shipping.
01-21-2016, 05:09 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss.
01-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #29

Original Poster
It really really sucks. Saved a long time to buy my first piece of premium glass, and had it less than two weeks before this happened.
01-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It really really sucks. Saved a long time to buy my first piece of premium glass, and had it less than two weeks before this happened.
Any chance of claiming through insurance?