Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 04:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried to ask my insurers (Johnson, in Canada) for a specific policy for my gear while away and they said no, it's already covered under a subclause.

09-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a personal articles policy with State Farm for camera equipment/jewelry. So far I haven't made a camera claim, but a stone fell out of a ring three months after I took out the policy and they gave me a check as soon as I brought in a repair estimate from the jeweler. I have to bring in any cameras purchased, with receipts, and they need the serial numbers. I have film cameras covered for my purchase price, even. The jewelry is considered to appreciate, and the gear is not, based on the statements I get every six months. No deductible, and I am covered even if just do something stupid while out--unlike the homeowner's. My homeowner's limits camera equipment (and also jewelry) to $1500, subject to deductible, and loss while out isn't covered, which is why I have the PA policy instead.

Last edited by RubyT; 09-15-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: eta: terms
09-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It would be nice to hear from someone who has experience filling a claim on lenses...whether they were damaged inside the house, or out.
Many years ago, in Australia, I drove over my camera bag and crushed the ME Super.
The insurance company advised me to go to the local Pentax dealer. They authorized the dealer to provide the current model nearest equivalent camera body which was the Pentax P30t.
I was not allowed to pay extra to get the MZ-5.

The P30t failed twice in warranty, and again just out of warranty so I abandoned it.
09-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I read somewhere this is not a good way. Once you file a claim, they will sky rocket your home insurance.

A separate insurance just for the camera equipment is a better way. I have yet to look into this in detail though.

I would like to hear from someone who actually make a claim, how did it goes, and what happen to the insurance premium afterwards...

09-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Rather not say what those items may be.
Firearms, jewelry worth more than $500-1000 or so, and antiques are pretty common exclusions.
09-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Interestingly, this did not apply to all types of items that I asked about, just camera gear. Some other types of items would need to be specifically scheduled and would cost extra. Rather not say what those items may be. This is Farmer's Insurance company.
I think I know what he's talking about. This subject also came up in another recent thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/302307-photograph...ml#post3351238
09-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I think I know what he's talking about. This subject also came up in another recent thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/302307-photograph...ml#post3351238
Ha ha, yes, you're on to me.