Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Will Pentax ever give is a 24-70 F2.8?

I really like that zoom range for indoor studio shoots, I have the 16-50 and 50-135 but sometimes one is a little short and the other is a little long. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Sigma or Tamron copy but I really like the Pentax glass.

Anyone????

Title was meant to say give "us".. not give "is".. I'm still half asleep

Last edited by alcstudios; 09-13-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Title
09-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. A D FA* is on the roadmap.
09-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be launched alongside the full frame...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's very likely. The upcoming FF camera will need a companion 24-70/2.8 or 24-100/4 "normal" lens, maybe both. One of those has to be released with the FF in order to be competitive.

09-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It will be interesting to see the feature set and the price of this new zoom. Meanwhile, you can find some nicely priced FA* 28-70mm f2.8 zooms in the Marketplace. No, they are not weathersealed and do not have the latest motor or coatings, but they are excellent lenses. Just a thought....
09-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I really like that zoom range for indoor studio shoots, I have the 16-50 and 50-135 but sometimes one is a little short and the other is a little long. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Sigma or Tamron copy but I really like the Pentax glass.
The first lens I bought with my K10 in 2007 was a Tamron 28-75/2.8. Later, Used it for awhile on a MZ-S. 8 years later, after planes , trains, automobiles, State Fairs, Concerts, dance studios, Santa Claus, portrait sessions and walkabouts, its still working well. Since I started my business, its been a workhorse lens.

Especially in studio. From a budget standpoint, I'd much rather have a kit of Alien Bees or Einsteins and the Tamron vs any Mfr.'s 24-70. In studio, lighting is the most important thing.

Lighting is always the most important thing.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 09-13-2015 at 06:09 PM.
09-13-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I really like my Sigma 24-70 HSM, but the upcoming Pentax offering will likely be weather sealed.

09-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Or you can get the 28-70 f/4 pretty cheap. It actually performs quite nicely. And it fits in a pocket. I use it when I don't want to haul my tamron 28-75 around or when I want pentax colors. It spends a lot of time on my k5 body since it's lightweight enough for my wife to use without aggravating her carpal tunnel.
09-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I really like my Sigma 24-70 HSM, but the upcoming Pentax offering will likely be weather sealed.
Which fortunately for the OP and me, is a very rare requirement in studio
09-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Which fortunately for the OP and me, is a very rare requirement in studio
Yes, and the Sigma is good enough to be considered a bargain compared to what the Pentax is likely to retail for.

I actually prefer the 24-70 range for aps-c.
09-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

For APS-C, the zoom range is just about perfect for indoor studio work. You would rarely need to go wider in a studio, since you will risk overshooting your scene and/or your lighting, and the extra zoom range beyond the traditional 85mm portrait focal length is nice for when you want to have a narrow angle of view for photographing small items or getting close-ups.

For studio shooting I use my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 close to 99% of the time, but occasionally I will switch to my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for a more narrow angle of view to capture as little background as possible. As a bonus, the Tamron 28-75mm focuses very closely, so it works as a quasi-macro lens for photographing small items or details of larger items. I don't have any experience with the Sigma, so I don't know if it also has this capability.

Fortunately Sigma and Tamron already have this range well-covered for the studio photographer, but I suppose if somebody really wanted an over-priced version with a much shorter warranty and a lousy service network, then a Pentax version would be the answer.
09-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 24-70 is the equivalent of 36-105mm not exactly long but a little inconvenient. It would be nice on an FF though.
09-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
A 24-70 is the equivalent of 36-105mm not exactly long but a little inconvenient. It would be nice on an FF though.
For an out-and-about lens it could be a bit long at times, but in the context of a studio lens, which is what this thread is about, it's a supremely useful range.
09-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
For APS-C, the zoom range is just about perfect for indoor studio work. You would rarely need to go wider in a studio, since you will risk overshooting your scene and/or your lighting, and the extra zoom range beyond the traditional 85mm portrait focal length is nice for when you want to have a narrow angle of view for photographing small items or getting close-ups.

For studio shooting I use my Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 close to 99% of the time, but occasionally I will switch to my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for a more narrow angle of view to capture as little background as possible. As a bonus, the Tamron 28-75mm focuses very closely, so it works as a quasi-macro lens for photographing small items or details of larger items. I don't have any experience with the Sigma, so I don't know if it also has this capability.

Fortunately Sigma and Tamron already have this range well-covered for the studio photographer, but I suppose if somebody really wanted an over-priced version with a much shorter warranty and a lousy service network, then a Pentax version would be the answer.
You don't seem to think much of Pentax, Tamron and Sigma seem so awesome to you... maybe you should invest in one of these DSLR Cameras | Sigma Corporation of America.

I know Sigma and Tamron have the focal length covered as you could tell by my opening post but I was asking for Pentax glass. One cannot expect Pentax to give us what we want if we won't purchase it.

It's just a matter of taste, and I do own the Sigma 70-200 and the 50-500 which are both great lenses but I want Pentax glass on my Pentax camera.
09-15-2015, 05:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
You don't seem to think much of Pentax, Tamron and Sigma seem so awesome to you... maybe you should invest in one of these DSLR Cameras | Sigma Corporation of America.
I like Pentax cameras because I think they give you the most bang for the buck. But as a lens company, I think they're kinda crappy. I wasn't impressed with the SDM debacle, and how they just left (and continue to leave) so many of their loyal customers holding the bag when the lens dies prematurely due to a bad design. Why would you want to support such business practices?

Yeah, they have some great optical formulas (some of which are actually licensed from other companies, and sold at a premium in "Pentax" version), but their warranty and support are terrible compared to Tamron and Sigma. This is worth paying a premium for?

Time after time I hear horror stories on here of Pentax lenses and cameras being held for months on end awaiting service, with little or no communication, and sometimes with questionable repair results in the end.

Should I pretend the situation is otherwise? They simply haven't earned my respect with how they treat their customers.

And what's the big deal about having the brand name on your camera match the brand name on the lens? I feel a company like Sigma should be rewarded for how it's continued to support K-mount over the years. In many ways, it has been more responsive to customers' lens demands than Pentax has.

Witness great Sigma lenses like the 8-16mm, 18-35mm 1.8, 18-300mm, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 300mm 2.8, 500mm 4.5, and the various 500mm zoom lenses, etc. Shouldn't a company like that, which has done so much to keep the K-mount viable, and takes great care of their customers, also be recognized and rewarded?

To me, Sigma is to lenses what Pentax is to camera bodies...the industry value leader.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 09-15-2015 at 05:53 AM.