Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm writing this partly because I'm jealous of C&N pros that enjoy having hyper-sharp fast telephoto primes and incredible AF performance available to them with tracking that works every time, without fail.
Well, if someone shoots action/sports a lot then, yeah, one could be envious of those lenses. But if that were the case why is someone using a system not known for great sports/action. They should have converted over a long time ago.

But I doubt few will be envious of hauling those beasts around. I have a Nikon 70-200/2.8 VRII. I love the results from it but I only use it for action and events. It is not a lens I will carry around for casual shooting. It is just too darn big and heavy. But a monopod works wonders for all-day shooting at an event and, again, a tripod or monopod is probably not what you want to carry around for casualness.

So be careful what you wish for!

Last edited by tuco; 09-16-2015 at 12:20 PM.
09-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The DA* 60-250mm is my sports and wildlife workhorse, and yes, I do carry a monopod to events. It's handholdable, but not for extended periods of time.

—DragonLord
09-16-2015, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #33

Don't forget Sony

Pentax has competition not just from Canikon, but from Sony. I just bought the Sony A6000 mirrorless, with an APS-C sensor, 11 fps and 170 AF points, and two lenses for $800. Sony touts it as the world's fastest AF. I'm really happy with it so far, but I say to myself, why couldn't Pentax have done this? They have all the great legacy lenses, way better ergonomics than the Sony, and weather-sealing to boot. As a photojournalist, all I'm missing from Pentax is great autofocus.

Instead, we get stuff like the K-S1.
09-16-2015, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Pentax has competition not just from Canikon, but from Sony. I just bought the Sony A6000 mirrorless, with an APS-C sensor, 11 fps and 170 AF points, and two lenses for $800. Sony touts it as the world's fastest AF. I'm really happy with it so far, but I say to myself, why couldn't Pentax have done this? They have all the great legacy lenses, way better ergonomics than the Sony, and weather-sealing to boot. As a photojournalist, all I'm missing from Pentax is great autofocus.

2 posts since 2013 and the second is a spam post for Sony. bye bye.

09-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
2 posts since 2013 and the second is a spam post for Sony. bye bye.

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
We also get the k-3II which does have quite good AF. But if you want a mirrorless, well the a6000 is a nice inexpensive camera, I'm sure you will enjoy it.
09-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The camera is an accessory when you're spending $5000+ on a lens. Find the best lenses for what you shoot then add cameras that fit those lenses.
What he said. That is the way it was when I first started photography in the late 1960s and continues to be the case today.

That being said, most of us back then bought our cameras based on cost for body + normal lens with an eye towards the expense of later acquiring the next two pieces for the three lens kit...a 28mm for the wide side and 135mm on the longer side. With careful shopping this could be accomplished for less than $500 (1970 USD) for many mounts. By 1980 the cost had dropped significantly and quality zooms began to occupy the long end bringing the average reach to ~200mm.

With the exception of the often superb 50mm normal lens, the rest of the kit usually offered fairly pedestrian optical performance. That tradition continues to this day, only now the accessible quality is good enough that most user's skills are not up to the challenge of their gear.

In other words, we've got it good.

Steve
09-17-2015, 03:16 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do wish that Pentax would go back and update their DA * zooms with faster motors. Even the DC motors that are in the 18-135 and 16-85 are quite a bit faster than the SDM lenses -- and more reliable, as far as we can tell. I doubt it will happen any time soon. Pentax has its hands full trying to fill out the lens line up for full frame.

More to the OP's point, sports optics are expensive. Fast glass that auto focuses fast is expensive. I certainly wouldn't have a problem if Pentax decided to release an analog to any of the lenses mentioned in this thread, but I don't think I would ever have the cash to buy one. 70-200 f2.8 is probably the upper end of my budget and that's probably stretching a little bit.

09-17-2015, 04:54 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
This is a good point in my opinion...and Thom Hogan writes about this frequently. Canikon has tried to convince their costumers that you need to move FF if you want high quality, and in the process have let their crop lenses languish. In the case of Nikon, they haven't released the D300 follow-up that everyone wanted. In the case of Canon, they finally released the 7D2, which although a great camera, is effin huge and very expensive.
Pentax is in good position to put together a competing APS-C system if they update some of their * offerings, especially the 16-50 and 50-135, which could compete with the 24-70/70-200mm Canikon FF offerings.
An APS-C that would compete in AF(should be priority for Pentax) and IQ with canikon FF?
I sure hope the K-3 successor would fill those shoes, whenever it gets released. Waiting for it, like many others.

Finally have a good long lens(150-450), now waiting for a similar IQ (U)WA for my 5iis. Don't need af speed to chase buildings, only precision (hello Sigma 18-35).
Not the best scenario, but APS-C with FF glass at least has the benefit of avoiding corners (please correct me if I'm wrong). So I only have to stop the 150450 down 1 for contrast.
Of course, if they can give the same IQ/AF with smaller glass, great.
09-17-2015, 05:06 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
So I only have to stop the 150450 down 1 for contrast.
Like to see some examples..... I just got mine yesterday.....haven't really noticed yet a wide open contrast
issue.

It is fast though....... ordered it one day and it was delivered the next.....

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-17-2015 at 03:59 PM.
09-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
To be honest, I've been very impressed by the K-3 II's ability to track fast-moving subjects. It's the lenses that need to perform better.

The AF performance of the DA* 60-250mm lens isn't exactly poor, but I really want to see a refresh of all of the DA* lenses to use HD coatings and high-performance DC motors. Eliminating screwdrive support (KAF3 mount) would be an acceptable compromise for this change.

—DragonLord
09-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Well, I must note that Canon image sensor technology is still inferior to what we Pentaxians have and is still getting outclassed by Nikon, Sony, and Pentax in high ISO performance or dynamic range.

I have no intention to switch to Canon or Nikon. Besides, that pro I saw the other day was using both a 7D (APS-C) and a 5D Mark III (full frame), so it's not really a question of full frame vs. APS-C more than it is a question of autofocus performance (mainly lens AF motor performance) and fast telephoto lenses.

When it comes to AF sensors, the K-3 II is light-years away from my K-5 and probably tracks at least as well as a 7D or 70D would. It's not as good as a 7D Mark II, though, so there's still plenty of room for improvement.

In any case, Ricoh is listening and they're working on faster AF and more long lenses. The D FA 150-450mm lens is supposed to be just as sharp as the Canon EF 100-400L II.

—DragonLord
It seems like you could have written this post first and soothed your own mind before you ever got angry/jealous.