Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #196

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Ok then; we have essentially the same configuration (I have original aluminum baffle/tube with the 'lip' virtually entirely removed)....let me see if I can snap a few frames and post.

Thanks/Bill
Hey, that's sounds more convincing!
Maybe you will keep it.....

---------- Post added 05-13-17 at 12:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
This was also a KEH repair and when it failed again (8 months or so later) they had me send it in and then said they couldn't fix it. But they did refund my original repair bill which was the right thing to do even if it was disappointing. They offered to send it to Precision and put my refund toward that more expensive repair but I just needed the money or a fixed lens at that point so I took the money.
So besides the repair that didn't last, KEH was great and fair. I'd consider them again in the future for other repairs.

Good luck with yours!
Study this:
SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

After 2012-2013 they did put a new SDM-gear in that 60-250mm - some of the the old ones "clogged" and crashed.
Study your serial number. After that the problems.disappeared. Search the forum and You will find more on this issue - not only the 60-250mm one - also many other SDM-lenses..
Later repaired or manufactured SDM-lenses do not suffer.from this disease!.

There are some of it here in the Pentax forum - search!
If after 2013 - no problems!

Pity that is. Not all but some Pentax SDM-lenses suffered.

My serial number is on the right side.
So if You buy one, new or old, - ask for the serial number..after studying the link above...

/Gutta

05-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. So KEH did you well....as I recall their 'warranty' is 6 months. That's +1 for KEH then. Did KEH know what add'l work was needed beyond just a new SDM motor?

Bill
They didn't elaborate. They just said that they couldn't do it this time.
05-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok then; we have essentially the same configuration (I have original aluminum baffle/tube with the 'lip' virtually entirely removed)....let me see if I can snap a few frames and post.

Thanks/Bill
That's what I did and so far so good

05-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #199

Thanks/Bill
Here are four test pic's taken since I modified the baffle; JPEG's (for expediency) straight from the K-1 which was set to do NO internal image tweaking.

- Crop mode and 'FF' mode.
- 250mm FL
- 2 frames @ f/4 & 2 frames @ f/8
- focus point was the street numbers on the house

Looks pretty darn good...appears I'm now forced to keep this nice lens

Bill

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
That's what I did and so far so good

Excellent work here!

Last edited by wgosma; 05-14-2017 at 07:33 AM.
05-13-2017, 03:09 AM   #201

Here are four test pic's taken since I modified the baffle; JPEG's (for expediency) straight from the K-1 which was set to do NO internal image tweaking.

- Crop mode and 'FF' mode.
- 250mm FL
- 2 frames @ f/4 & 2 frames @ f/8
- focus point was the street numbers on the house

Looks pretty darn good...appears I'm now forced to keep this nice lens

Bill
Forced???

You are hereby a member of TBC - The Baffle Club!
"May the force be with You.!" (Quote by Qui-Gon Jinn in Pentax * Star Wars)

/Gutta
05-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Forced???

You are hereby a member of TBC - The Baffle Club!
"May the force be with You.!" (Quote by Qui-Gon Jinn in Pentax * Star Wars)

/Gutta
You should then generate a new Lens Club Thread for TBC!
Just start a new thread in this thread

Title it accordingly...

Then contact Adam by PM, and ask him to transfer your post in the Lens Club forum...

Then anyone that has the modified Baffle will be able to share photos for that specific mod...
(Not sure if ither pentax lens gets that kind of mod, but if so, you may accept them in that thread... as you whish!)

... just an idea like that...

05-25-2017, 07:21 PM - 2 Likes   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been thinking about this mod for awhile now and finally decided to give it a try. I ordered a set of JIS screwdrivers which arrived yesterday. Today I took the baffle with me to work and drew up a few designs and 3D printed two baffles. I tried both and they fit into the lens quite well. I will have to see how well they work after I get them painted. We ran out of black material which we rarely use. This is a holiday weekend coming up here in the US so I should be able to get some testing done. Wish me luck, I am going to need it with the month I have had.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I've been thinking about this mod for awhile now and finally decided to give it a try. I ordered a set of JIS screwdrivers which arrived yesterday. Today I took the baffle with me to work and drew up a few designs and 3D printed two baffles. I tried both and they fit into the lens quite well. I will have to see how well they work after I get them painted. We ran out of black material which we rarely use. This is a holiday weekend coming up here in the US so I should be able to get some testing done. Wish me luck, I am going to need it with the month I have had.
Wow, those look great. The cutout one is especially slick. Nice!
05-26-2017, 04:26 AM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Wow, those look great. The cutout one is especially slick. Nice!
Thanks Matt, I still have to see if it is going to work. Getting the one with cutout oriented right is going to be tricky. That is way I made one without it just in case.
05-26-2017, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #206
Pentaxian

That is a very clever idea. Based on the reports by others I'm pretty confident that the one without the cutout will work. Regarding the one WITH the cutout, please share your results!

If it works, would you be willing to share the 3D printing file? I have a colleague who owns a printer, maybe he could print one version for me.

Thanks.
05-26-2017, 05:47 AM   #207

Looks just great; based on my experience I bet the piece w/o any internal 'flange' will be the better one - minimal vignetting.

Keep up posted on results.
Bill
05-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That is a very clever idea. Based on the reports by others I'm pretty confident that the one without the cutout will work. Regarding the one WITH the cutout, please share your results!

If it works, would you be willing to share the 3D printing file? I have a colleague who owns a printer, maybe he could print one version for me.

Thanks.
I'd also be interested in that file, even willing to pay for "royalties" :-)
05-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

Thanks.
I have the Solidworks file, which is the software we use. I also have the STL file which is pretty much the standard file used by 3D printers. Let me know what file format their 3D printer uses and I can save it in that format.
05-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks just great; based on my experience I bet the piece w/o any internal 'flange' will be the better one - minimal vignetting.

Keep up posted on results.
Bill
I will be testing it this weekend. I was 100% sure about the one with the cutout, that is why I made the other.