Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These were shot at 200mm using the same settings.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-06-2017, 07:06 AM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are all at 2500 using the same settings. If you are shooting into a brightly lit situation like the sky I do recommend stopping down and underexposing a bit especially below f8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For those interested here is a link to the full size images of the above photos.

DA*60-250 Full Frame Mod | Flickr
08-07-2017, 04:31 AM   #244

Photos: Gallery
Glad to hear you're all better now.
Thanks a lot for this comprehensive evaluation and a list with all the files. Pity I couldn't modify my lens before the trip to Norway with your baffle. Now I will feel more urged to do next photo projects after hopefully completing this mod

08-08-2017, 02:28 AM   #245

3d model with baffle

Hi, glad to hear you are getting better. I just had a look at the PDF's of your tube with the baffle and it occurs to me that there probably ought to be some overlap between the wider thin-walled (0.65mm) tube portion and the narrower thicker walled (1mm) section. At the moment there is nothing to connect one with the other and they will presumably just fall apart. I guess that the thicker walled section should extend further down inside the wider part to provide connectivity?

Good work anyway

Justin
08-08-2017, 03:21 AM   #246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jathalls Quote
Hi, glad to hear you are getting better. I just had a look at the PDF's of your tube with the baffle and it occurs to me that there probably ought to be some overlap between the wider thin-walled (0.65mm) tube portion and the narrower thicker walled (1mm) section. At the moment there is nothing to connect one with the other and they will presumably just fall apart. I guess that the thicker walled section should extend further down inside the wider part to provide connectivity?

Good work anyway

Justin
The baffle and mounting ring are held together with glue. After painting my baffle I had to slightly trim it to make it fit in the mounting ring.
11-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Screw for the SDM contact, help needed.

I was happy to remove the baffle and replace it with a cardboard successfully. But, I dropped one screw when I put it back to tighten the SDM contact. The lens performs flawlessly on K-1, but I just like to put that tiny screw back.

Does anybody know the screw size and where to buy its replacement?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

11-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #248

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdog2006 Quote
I was happy to remove the baffle and replace it with a cardboard successfully. But, I dropped one screw when I put it back to tighten the SDM contact. The lens performs flawlessly on K-1, but I just like to put that tiny screw back.

Does anybody know the screw size and where to buy its replacement?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Tough one. You might try contacting a couple of the lens repair shops (KEH, Precision) and who knows, for a 'nominal' fee they might be able to send you a replacement screw - worth a shot if you come up empty here. Maybe there are still 'old school' camera repair shops in the City that you could try also (?).

Good Luck/Bill
11-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Tough one. You might try contacting a couple of the lens repair shops (KEH, Precision) and who knows, for a 'nominal' fee they might be able to send you a replacement screw - worth a shot if you come up empty here. Maybe there are still 'old school' camera repair shops in the City that you could try also (?).

Good Luck/Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. It's not urgent, but I'll feel more comfortable to keep this great lens in integrity.

Thanks again.
11-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #250
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi folks. Over the months I've had a few people PM me about precision modding their lenses / and or doing the machine work on their baffle if they mail it to me. In general I've declined because I'm usually too busy with my hobbies (play in a couple of bands). I occasionally work on the side at a CNC machine shop with the big machines. While I'm still probably too busy to do individual mods for folks, I got to talking to the shop owner about what it would take to set up a production run. I want to gauge interest and get your input and thoughts.

Here's the general idea:
- Manufacture new baffle tubes with a fully rectangular baffle based on my thoroughly tested dimensions. Example proof-of-concept prototype and testing
- These will be machined from high quality stock (possibly t6061) and will then be hard anodized.
- The tolerances will be as good or better than OEM parts. These mills and lathes are capable of extremely high precision. In a nutshell these will exemplify 'Made in USA' quality.

I'm thinking that 8 or more units sold at $45 each would cover the costs for the time it takes to set up a production run.

Please weigh in a let me know what you think and if you are interested in one. Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, John
11-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tentatively interested even with no desire for full frame as of yet. I think it would be cool to have my lens premodified for FF "just in case" or as an added benefit for sale.

The rectangular mod seems harder to fit however with the alignment effort. Is there an index that could be added to make it self aligning?
11-14-2017, 08:09 PM   #252
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Is there an index that could be added to make it self aligning?
Excellent point. I think so. I'll start looking at what index might work best.
11-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #253
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 3D printed baffle is working flawlessly in my 60-250. I know the design works because it was the one used in the Forums Article. Best of all, I can print them for free.
11-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #254
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
My 3D printed baffle is working flawlessly in my 60-250. I know the design works because it was the one used in the Forums Article. Best of all, I can print them for free.
I did a quick search and I'm not sure which article you're referring to. Can you please link?

3d printers are awesome and the work here looks quite usable. Kudo's for your work, and huge kudo's for sharing the design files!! I'm a big believer in open source and it's downright awesome to see this kind of sharing.

The ones I am proposing are aimed at those that are looking for a high precision fit with top grade material. Some folks will be thrilled with a 3-d printed one, others may want a CNC'd, tempered and anodized part that is indistinguishable from OEM quality.
11-15-2017, 07:40 PM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
I did a quick search and I'm not sure which article you're referring to.
The Pentax Forums article is here How to Modify the DA* 60-250mm F4 for Full Frame - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com