Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ugh - Bill you are one of a small minority but I hate that for you. The DA* 60-250 doesn't seem to have sdm failure often but when it does the conversion process isn't an option. I wish I could convert it for you but we've never figured out the magic reason that lens won't convert.
I know, nice lens too. Interesting short story on this lens, I purchased used from private seller in NYC - about 4 months after I had the lens the motor failed, the seller in NY was kind enough to pay half the cost for me to get the thing repaired, pretty amazing. But then the SDM motor quit again, unit was past repair service warranty by few months so I lived w/o AF. I don't use the lens much, but it works pretty well with my K-1; guess I keep it - don't think I can get anything near the quality for a 'reasonable' price.
Thanks/Bill

01-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #287
Veteran Member
joergens.mi's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
I know, nice lens too. Interesting short story on this lens, I purchased used from private seller in NYC - about 4 months after I had the lens the motor failed, the seller in NY was kind enough to pay half the cost for me to get the thing repaired, pretty amazing. But then the SDM motor quit again, unit was past repair service warranty by few months so I lived w/o AF. I don't use the lens much, but it works pretty well with my K-1; guess I keep it - don't think I can get anything near the quality for a 'reasonable' price.
Thanks/Bill
Configure it to the mechanical drive and it will work fine again without the sdm.
01-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Configure it to the mechanical drive and it will work fine again without the sdm.
Can you provide some details about that? I am not familiar with the term ‘configure to Mech drive’.
Thanks/Bill
01-31-2019, 04:29 AM   #289
Veteran Member
joergens.mi's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 381
I'll hope this will help

How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com

01-31-2019, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #290
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 450
QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
I know, nice lens too. Interesting short story on this lens, I purchased used from private seller in NYC - about 4 months after I had the lens the motor failed, the seller in NY was kind enough to pay half the cost for me to get the thing repaired, pretty amazing. But then the SDM motor quit again, unit was past repair service warranty by few months so I lived w/o AF. I don't use the lens much, but it works pretty well with my K-1; guess I keep it - don't think I can get anything near the quality for a 'reasonable' price.
Thanks/Bill
Try this: with a screwdriver gently turn the AF screw on the back of the lens, in one direction and then in the other and finally put the focus distance scale to almost the center. Now attach the lens to your K-1 and try to focus.
01-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 127
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Try this: with a screwdriver gently turn the AF screw on the back of the lens, in one direction and then in the other and finally put the focus distance scale to almost the center. Now attach the lens to your K-1 and try to focus.
Thanks; I did this procedure to turn the len's AF screw by hand but no luck - still no AF function. I think the SDM motor is dead.

---------- Post added 01-31-2019 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Thanks, after doing a bit more reading (on web) about this conversion it seems the consensus of opinion based from several people who have attempted it is that for the 60-250 lens it cannot be achieved.
01-31-2019, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,193
QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Sorry but the DA* 60-250 is the one lens of the 5 DA* lenses that have both ScrewDrive and SDM that cannot be converted by any known method. We know of ONE that appears to be working converted in Russia but details of that conversion have never been fully shared and it is presumed some direct manipulation of the internal workings was done or something outside of the LENSROM.LNS was modified since using the exact LENSROM from that lens doesn't work on any other lens either.

I've been chasing a solution for a long time - I'd love to offer conversions of the DA* 60-250 and as I own one it would be great future insurance. So far no dice.
02-01-2019, 05:04 AM   #293
Pentaxian
Andrea K's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 450
QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Thanks; I did this procedure to turn the len's AF screw by hand but no luck - still no AF function. I think the SDM motor is dead.
.
... I used this procedure to restart my DA* 60-250 focus after a try with my z1p that has a very powerful internal motor. The focus went stuck on a side, maybe infinity, and the SDM did not have the force to move the focus group

02-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #294
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,043
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
... I used this procedure to restart my DA* 60-250 focus after a try with my z1p that has a very powerful internal motor. The focus went stuck on a side, maybe infinity, and the SDM did not have the force to move the focus group
I suspect every few years having the focus group cleaned and lubricated will reduce SDM problems.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, contact, control, corners, da*, da* 60-250 mod, ff, glue, jis, k-mount, lengths, lens, mine, mod, monitor, mount, paint, pentax, pentax lens, ph, price, screw, slr lens, spray, springs, tube, vignette
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AS plate for the DA*60-250/300 lens foot interested_observer Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 21 03-04-2018 03:56 PM
DA* 60-250 owners: How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready? apisto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 12-30-2017 01:49 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA* 60-250, RRS L bracket for K-5 prices reduced again djc737 Sold Items 7 06-27-2015 05:08 AM
Backpack for DA*60-250 and 16-50 gastch Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 18 01-23-2015 11:46 AM
DA*60-250/4 - FF, sharp and fast. ogl Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-01-2008 04:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top