Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2019, 02:59 PM   #286
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Ugh - Bill you are one of a small minority but I hate that for you. The DA* 60-250 doesn't seem to have sdm failure often but when it does the conversion process isn't an option. I wish I could convert it for you but we've never figured out the magic reason that lens won't convert.
I know, nice lens too. Interesting short story on this lens, I purchased used from private seller in NYC - about 4 months after I had the lens the motor failed, the seller in NY was kind enough to pay half the cost for me to get the thing repaired, pretty amazing. But then the SDM motor quit again, unit was past repair service warranty by few months so I lived w/o AF. I don't use the lens much, but it works pretty well with my K-1; guess I keep it - don't think I can get anything near the quality for a 'reasonable' price.
Thanks/Bill

01-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
I know, nice lens too. Interesting short story on this lens, I purchased used from private seller in NYC - about 4 months after I had the lens the motor failed, the seller in NY was kind enough to pay half the cost for me to get the thing repaired, pretty amazing. But then the SDM motor quit again, unit was past repair service warranty by few months so I lived w/o AF. I don't use the lens much, but it works pretty well with my K-1; guess I keep it - don't think I can get anything near the quality for a 'reasonable' price.
Thanks/Bill
Configure it to the mechanical drive and it will work fine again without the sdm.
01-30-2019, 10:34 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
Configure it to the mechanical drive and it will work fine again without the sdm.
Can you provide some details about that? I am not familiar with the term ‘configure to Mech drive’.
Thanks/Bill
01-31-2019, 04:29 AM   #289
Veteran Member

I'll hope this will help

How To: Convert SDM to ScrewDrive + Video - PentaxForums.com

01-31-2019, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #290
Pentaxian

Thanks/Bill
Try this: with a screwdriver gently turn the AF screw on the back of the lens, in one direction and then in the other and finally put the focus distance scale to almost the center. Now attach the lens to your K-1 and try to focus.
01-31-2019, 03:07 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Try this: with a screwdriver gently turn the AF screw on the back of the lens, in one direction and then in the other and finally put the focus distance scale to almost the center. Now attach the lens to your K-1 and try to focus.
Thanks; I did this procedure to turn the len's AF screw by hand but no luck - still no AF function. I think the SDM motor is dead.

---------- Post added 01-31-2019 at 02:11 PM ----------

Thanks, after doing a bit more reading (on web) about this conversion it seems the consensus of opinion based from several people who have attempted it is that for the 60-250 lens it cannot be achieved.
01-31-2019, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry but the DA* 60-250 is the one lens of the 5 DA* lenses that have both ScrewDrive and SDM that cannot be converted by any known method. We know of ONE that appears to be working converted in Russia but details of that conversion have never been fully shared and it is presumed some direct manipulation of the internal workings was done or something outside of the LENSROM.LNS was modified since using the exact LENSROM from that lens doesn't work on any other lens either.

I've been chasing a solution for a long time - I'd love to offer conversions of the DA* 60-250 and as I own one it would be great future insurance. So far no dice.
02-01-2019, 05:04 AM   #293
Pentaxian

Thanks; I did this procedure to turn the len's AF screw by hand but no luck - still no AF function. I think the SDM motor is dead.
... I used this procedure to restart my DA* 60-250 focus after a try with my z1p that has a very powerful internal motor. The focus went stuck on a side, maybe infinity, and the SDM did not have the force to move the focus group

02-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #294
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
... I used this procedure to restart my DA* 60-250 focus after a try with my z1p that has a very powerful internal motor. The focus went stuck on a side, maybe infinity, and the SDM did not have the force to move the focus group
I suspect every few years having the focus group cleaned and lubricated will reduce SDM problems.