Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
01-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Is anyone offering to do this modification?
I wouldn't mind doing it for others. I haven't done my lens yet, but after reading what others have posted, I don't foresee any problem. I modified a Vivitar series 1 70-210 in the past (the aperture tab protection was too large for DSLRs).

01-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've started my project on this. Made the "Before" shots and am starting to shoot the video of the procedure. While making the "Before" shots, noted the following: Worst vignette case is 250mm at infinity. To my surprise, focusing closely at 250mm lets significantly more light in at the center of the frame than when focused at infinity.

I'll post the video and matched Before/After photos when project is done. It would be a piece of cake to just enlarge the diameter of the opening on my lathe, but I am thinking I want to use the end-mill to mill a rectangular opening because I want the baffle to still function optimally. I'm going to make a template/fixture for the end-mill machining. I've been unusually busy with work so it may take me another week. I'll decide about offering this as a service when done.

Last edited by jbondo; 01-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.
01-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #138
Veteran Member

make the rectangular window a little bit wider, exactly cut tmax 3.2 window seems to vignette.
01-08-2017, 09:25 PM - 5 Likes   #139
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, made prototype jig to do more of these and did the initial mod on mine. I'll have to wait for daylight clear skies to see if got the geometry right or if it will need refinement.
(I purposefully did it without separating the SDM contact ring from the tube. - if I got it right, I'll use the SDM contact ring to create a key on the jig, so all future ones will be identical.)

Edit: I removed photo with incorrect alignment so as not to confuse anyone. See my later post with the correct alignment.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by jbondo; 02-05-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Removed photo of innacurate alignment.
01-08-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
OK, made prototype jig to do more of these and did the initial mod on mine. I'll have to wait for daylight clear skies to see if got the geometry right or if it will need refinement.
(I purposefully did it without separating the SDM contact ring from the tube. - if I got it right, I'll use the SDM contact ring to create a key on the jig, so all future ones will be identical.)
That looks great. I wanted to do that initially but just took an easier route. I don't have precise enough tools.
01-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #141
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks fantastic!
01-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #142
Veteran Member

That looks excellent, mine is nearly the same after the refinement.

01-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #143
Forum Member

I've started my project on this. Made the "Before" shots and am starting to shoot the video of the procedure. While making the "Before" shots, noted the following: Worst vignette case is 250mm at infinity. To my surprise, focusing closely at 250mm lets significantly more light in at the center of the frame than when focused at infinity.

I'll post the video and matched Before/After photos when project is done. It would be a piece of cake to just enlarge the diameter of the opening on my lathe, but I am thinking I want to use the end-mill to mill a rectangular opening because I want the baffle to still function optimally. I'm going to make a template/fixture for the end-mill machining. I've been unusually busy with work so it may take me another week. I'll decide about offering this as a service when done.
Where are you based? I would be very interested by your services
01-09-2017, 04:27 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work jbondo... Looking forward to your test!
01-09-2017, 05:47 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
mine is nearly the same after the refinement.
Nearly? Other posters suggest there is no difference.

OK, made prototype jig to do more of these and did the initial mod on mine.
I can't wait to see your comparison, that looks impressive!
01-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Nearly? Other posters suggest there is no difference.
First I made a cut to the maximum 2:3 rectangle possible, it was much better than before , but there was a heavy vignetting, then I expanded the field a little bit to all four sides and it improved heavily.
01-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #147
Pentaxian

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. I will likely be attempting a hack-job version.
01-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #148
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

ok, folks, don't use my previous photo as a reference for the rotation angle to cut yours. I had the wrong rotation. The good news is that I only have to re-glue the tube to the SDM contact ring at the correct angle and it should be good.
I'm still busy with work and the band so it may be a few more days before I post. Thanks for your patience.
01-13-2017, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #149
Veteran Member

this one works and is correctly aligned.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-29-2017, 07:03 PM - 3 Likes   #150
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for your patience. Been busy with work and the bands. Re-aligning the barrel ended up being trivial compared to cutting it. Used an old film body to confirm exact alignment. (Now I can key the fixture.)

Here are the before and after shots under very carefully controlled conditions.
60-250 mod - Vignette before and after shots.