Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, performances are certainly impressive regarding vignetting. Even better than I would have thought.

do you notice any decrease in sharpness for regular shooting? That's my main concern as an optical designer, I worry that the baffle was there for a valid reason.

01-30-2017, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #152
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
do you notice any decrease in sharpness for regular shooting?
Only had time to snap a couple of bird pics in the back yard, and a few around the house, but on first inspection, I am not seeing any increase in abberations, nor any notable bad behavior. My guess is that the baffle just reflects that the FF designed lens was optimized for aps-c since Pentax had no FF at the time it came to market. Next time I have a chance, I'll do some astro-photos with it, which are an 'acid test' of any lens. I'll post the results next time I have an outing with it.
02-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who have contributed to this very helpful thread. I am contemplating this mod. One question though... regarding the three JIS screws that need to be removed, have folks had success using Phillips head screwdrivers or are JIS screwdrivers necessary? I have an assortment of small Phillips head screwdrivers but it seems that I could damage the screws if they are tight and really need JIS tools. And I assume it might be a good idea to mark the baffle before removing it so that it's clear where to cut the corners out in the baffle.
02-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
regarding the three JIS screws that need to be removed, have folks had success using Phillips head screwdrivers or are JIS screwdrivers necessary?
It is certainly possible to remove JIS with a Phillips. But you are also taking a chance on messing up the head. If the screw was on something non-critical. Like maybe a toaster, I would probably go ahead and try the Phillips. On a lens that costs this much, no way. Get the JIS set. It is a risk reward equation. The reward is saving a few dollars. The risk is messing up a screw in a $1,000 lens. A screw you have to get out and then back in securely. With a very difficult job of locating a replacement if you mess it up and have to drill it out. YMMV of course. I bought the JIS set.

02-07-2017, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got these and they worked well.
02-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
Thanks to all who have contributed to this very helpful thread. I am contemplating this mod. One question though... regarding the three JIS screws that need to be removed, have folks had success using Phillips head screwdrivers or are JIS screwdrivers necessary? I have an assortment of small Phillips head screwdrivers but it seems that I could damage the screws if they are tight and really need JIS tools. And I assume it might be a good idea to mark the baffle before removing it so that it's clear where to cut the corners out in the baffle.
Don't do it. Not worth the risk.

M
02-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered the recommended JIS screwdrivers.

02-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Mod Completed

I've joined the club as I completed the mod today. Thanks to the earlier contributors for the information that made this possible. The smallest JIS screwdriver worked perfectly. At first glance the screwdriver looks too big, but it's a perfect fit. BTW, don't order these screwdrivers if you want to do the mod soon as they come directly from China, perhaps by pigeon. I kept the baffle and the flange together at all times and I used the Dremel technique. The grinding was taking a long time so I switched to a rat-tail metal file and it worked much faster. Since the file was pretty coarse I did the finishing with the Dremel. I probably could have taken a little more off the flange, but I didn't want to get too close to the perimeter as all of my work was hand-held. The metal was very shiny after the grinding so I used some satin paint to cover the bare edges, which I did after taking the picture below. I took a couple of test pictures with the modified lens and they looked pretty good, but I didn't compare to any older shots.

04-10-2017, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi all, not to revive a dead thread, but I have seen on here were people have mentioned being able to purchase the tube and baffle assembly for $25.00. Can anyone tell me where they saw this at, or where the bought it from? I am thinking about this as well and would like to perform the mod on spare parts that way should something go wrong or I sell the lens, I have the ability to revert back to stock with no damage....
04-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #160
Site Supporter

I still need to do this mod unless I can get mine sold or traded for a DA* 300 f/4.
04-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My modded 60-250 has AF problems and I haven't quite decided what to do with it. KEH couldn't fix it and they recommended Precision.
Before I send it to them to be gone for who knows how long, tying up my money, I think I'm going to replace it. Maybe with a 70-200/2.8 (probably Tamron for now due to budget constraints).

So if anyone might be interested in it for the modified baffle, or to repair yourself, I may willing to make a deal.
04-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
So if anyone might be interested in it for the modified baffle, or to repair yourself, I may willing to make a deal.
You mean you'd sell the whole lens so someone could Frankenstein the baffle out of it? If you'd consider selling only the baffle, I'd be interested.
04-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You mean you'd sell the whole lens so someone could Frankenstein the baffle out of it? If you'd consider selling only the baffle, I'd be interested.
I'm not ready to part it out myself because if I remove the baffle the rest becomes a lot less valuable!
So I guess I'd want to sell or trade as-is, at least for now. Just thought I'd put this here in case anyone was looking for something like this.
04-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #164
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not to revive the thread but is the baffle material plastic or aluminium? Also I am thinking if I remove only 1 screw the one on the side of the ring and not the ones for the SDM contacts, the ring+baffle should still come out.. right?
I may want to ry this out if so.
04-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #165
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. My method for grinding the baffle was to put a grinding stone with a 1/4" shaft into my drill press. I lowered the quill into the tube and locked it. Then I simply moved the tube around on the table around the stone and let the grinder do the work. It was easy to be fairly precise. I put masking tape inside the tube, and it was easy to see when I got close to the edge. The entire surgery took about an hour, and that included twenty minutes to let the paint dry. I disassembled and reassembled the lens inside a magnetic tray. My thought was if I dropped a screw it wouldn't bounce away. I didn't drop one, but it was nice to have a little insurance. Teeny/tinyist screws I've ever handled.
This forum ROCKS!