Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #166

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
Hi all, not to revive a dead thread, but I have seen on here were people have mentioned being able to purchase the tube and baffle assembly for $25.00. Can anyone tell me where they saw this at, or where the bought it from? I am thinking about this as well and would like to perform the mod on spare parts that way should something go wrong or I sell the lens, I have the ability to revert back to stock with no damage....
I bought it from my often used firm:
Kameraservice Kungsör AB
Box 135
736 23 Kungsör
+46 (0)227 12740

info@kameraservice.se
Or their site Startsida - Kamera service i Kungsör AB
For me they have always been great. Best camera workshop in Sweden - inkl Hasselblad.

They also told me the trick how to get the tube-assembly out the easy way without springs all over the place - and also showed interest in the mod telling me that in their opinion it would not have any negative effects on FF.

I did see that someone had problems with focusing above - do not forget to glue back the tube to the baffel-part - otherwise that one its lose and moves by itself. Three tiny dots glue with a small glue-gun, that's it.

BTW - What a lens on the K1!!!
Also often use it with Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 and sometimes with Pentax 1.7x AF adapter - both FF, when needed - mostly without.
I'm not technically ashamed of the quality of my large prints made by that very lens.

A clear barging - let me say carefully, at least, "a recommended star lens" for a Pentaxian!

Want some help with contacts with the camera workshop - PM me! But I can not promise anything - I'm taking great care of having good relation with them.

04-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote

I did see that someone had problems with focusing above - do not forget to glue back the tube to the baffel-part - otherwise that one its lose and moves by itself. Three tiny dots glue with a small glue-gun, that's it.
That was me but I don't think it had anything to do with the mod since it worked for 6 months or so after doing it. I think my SDM just failed eventually.
04-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #168
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to have my lens modded for the K-1, but really do not trust myself to do this. I do not have tools and have never used a Dremel tool for other purposes. Does anyone know someone who is making this modification, or is anyone here willing to take it on now, for a fee, of course...? I really like this lens and have used it on the K-3.
David
04-30-2017, 03:44 PM - 2 Likes   #169

Perhaps this might work

I have modded another lens for a participant here. However sending 60-250mm lenses around the world is NOT CHEAP - and to that comes package and handling and insurances and uncertain however post works as it should.

However - this is just a thought:
1/I take my unmodded tube without the SDM-part to a workshop and ask them for the cost of let's say to mod 15 pieces. If OK to a reasonable price THEN
2/ try to buy 15 pieces unmodded baffel-kits from my camera workshop mentioned above
3/ Loosen the baffel-tubes give them to the presumed workshop and have them fixed.
4/ Then fetch them, inspect, paint and glue the parts - ready to delivery after postage and handling..
5/ Customer (you that is) get it and change the parts having your original as a spare.

I or preferably someone else in with this idea?
Let's put it this way - I want to enjoy summer and all else so there is resistance in me....
You know my motorhome - fly-fishing - photographing - hiking - enjoy my kids and grandchildren etc etc.
Sweden and Norway has short summers - like northern Canada - and North it will go!!

BTW:
(PH vs JIS - PH has a tiny longer tip - sand the PH tip just a bit and it fits just as good as a JIS - I did learn that long ago when I worried about that by an old fine-mechanican in my veteran-car-club.
Just make sure You have total grip and fit using the screw-driver - You feel when you have total fit yourself. Anyway - it's only the upper part that effectively torque the screw - so you want to "bottom it" in the X )

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 04-30-2017 at 04:20 PM.
05-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #170
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That makes sense having the original to revert back. I would order one.
05-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #171

You don't have to separate the glued parts (tube and baffle) and you don't have to remove more than the corners. Probably you don't even have to remove the two screws holding the SDM-contacts, at least not while taking the things apart since it's lifted off together with the other black parts anyway. Time spent – 30 minutes including washing and drying the parts.
Mine looks like this after modification, works fine although my naughty dremel chuck chew away a piece of the aperture lever protection in the process.
Attached Images

05-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #172

Holy Moses!
That looks really brute! At least unaesthetic!
Did You do that in the sauna with Koskenkorva vodka in the other hand?

That's for sure NOT Swedish quality!

To others here - dismantle the baffle-set the way described before and put the lens in another room while carefully anti-baffeling the star(*)-lens.

I call that "Pentax Star-Wars".

05-08-2017, 11:21 PM - 2 Likes   #173

QuoteOriginally posted by Gutta Perka Quote
Holy Moses!
That looks really brute! At least unaesthetic!
Did You do that in the sauna with Koskenkorva vodka in the other hand?

That's for sure NOT Swedish quality!
And thats for sure not Swedish discourse. Did you have a gulp of punsch before you wrote it?

To the point: It's not necessary to grind away more than the corners. And if there's a lesson to be learned from the (harmless) esthetic misfiguration above it would be not to use a machine tool at all but a simple hand file, with which it's easy to work inside the tube. The metal is in not exceptionally tough.
05-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #174

Are You happy with it - it's OK with me.

It was just the shock...never mind!

Let's call it an "installation". Art that is!

It's important to show WG (Wide Gamut) in relation with ones neighbours.

Last edited by Gutta Perka; 05-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.
05-11-2017, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #175

60-250 lens mod for FF (K-1)

I completed this modification today. See photos showing the tube/baffle piece removed from the lens, pics taken just after completion of enlarging the 'flange' area opening.

Now this metalwork is not going to be winning any awards from the tool and die makers in the audience, but it works for me. I used flat and small rounded metal hand files for the work and cradled the tube in the partially open jaws of my bench-mounted vice, holding the tube down on the open jaws with one hand while I filed away using the other hand. This tube is 0.030" thick aluminum, it's pretty soft material in my book; the prior comments in this thread about the material being 'quite hard' seem a bit odd to me.

I used some painters tape to protect the inside of the tube/baffle from the metal filings/particles; cleanup was pretty easy with some compressed air and an old toothbrush. Now all I need to do is blackout the exposed aluminum surface, reassemble and shoot some test pics.

Any questions, let me know.

Thanks/Bill
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
05-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks neat. I did not think of using files. Good idea more control over the task than a dremel.

I am so torn between doing this mod and selling this for a decent price in like new condition.

Last edited by shardulm; 05-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.
05-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #177

Well, I'm not convinced this 'mod' works and yields 100%, or even 90% on K-1. I haven't shot any test pics but when I look thru the viewfinder on my newly acquired K-1 I see vignetting in FF mode. I disassembled the lens and REMOVED the baffle completely, reassembled and still vignetting. I'm feeling this lens was designed for APS-C bodies only. Either that or I am going nuts, ugh!
Bill
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wgosma Quote
Well, I'm not convinced this 'mod' works and yields 100%, or even 90% on K-1. I haven't shot any test pics but when I look thru the viewfinder on my newly acquired K-1 I see vignetting in FF mode. I disassembled the lens and REMOVED the baffle completely, reassembled and still vignetting. I'm feeling this lens was designed for APS-C bodies only. Either that or I am going nuts, ugh!
Bill
I assume your filed edges are correctly oriented after the assembly.
05-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #179

I do believe so; see above re-work pics', tho granted they are not super photos of the work but you can get a good idea of how much material was removed.

I did NOT separate the barrel from the 'flange' when I did the work with the file to remove material, so there was no issue re: orientation on re-installation....it had to go back on the lens in same orientation as when it was removed.

What got me really stumped was when I completely removed the 'baffle' and saw no apparent change in vignetting in the viewfinder. I'll re-look at the setup tomorrow and post add'l info I discover.
Thanks/Bill
05-12-2017, 01:21 AM   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I did NOT separate the barrel from the 'flange' when I did the work with the file to remove material, so there was no issue re: orientation on re-installation....it had to go back on the lens in same orientation as when it was removed.

What got me really stumped was when I completely removed the 'baffle' and saw no apparent change in vignetting in the viewfinder. I'll re-look at the setup tomorrow and post add'l info I discover.
Thanks/Bill
Oh yeah. . You mentioned removing the thing altogether. .. hmmm interesting. So i am now wondering if the images are OK but the viewfinder is not from the samples i have seen so far on the forum.