Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Good macros in the 90-150mm range?

I've seen astonishing photos from the Pentax 100/f2.8 macro lens and everyone sings its praises IF you can find one. Are there decent comparable lenses from other manufacturers in a focal length close to it that anyone has and can recommend, such as Sigma or Tamron? This appears to be the only way I'll manage to "grab" one since the Pentax supply has dried up for the moment! Links to photos would be appreciated. If this has been covered here and I missed it, I apologize in advance!
Thanks,
Rob W

02-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had the Sigma 105mm EX and it was a very good lens. I also owned the new Pentax D-FA 100mm Macro. Also a very good lens. Right now I have the older 100mm FA Macro and it is great, and also a few older Vivitar 105mm/Kiron 105mm Manual Focus macros.
There aren't any bad Macro lenses. They are all super sharp and have good contrast. macro lenses are probably the finest prime lenses out there.

If you need to buy a NEW one with AF and DI and all that stuff, and cannot find the Pentax, go for the Tamron 90mm. Some say it is the sharpest Macro out there right now.
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Even those are in short supply at Sigma4less.com right now! (They seem to have the best prices on Tamron and Sigma lenses and their reputation is solid.) I've seen some great shots with the Tamron on pixelpeepers.com and have had some of their lenses, but never any Sigmas. I've read mixed reviews on Sigma's quality—some saying a particular lens is great, while others give the same lens a bad drubbing, so it appears Sigmas are hit n' miss!
I see you're in my favorite state! What part?
Rob W
02-07-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm in Phoenix.

02-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #5

Tamron SP AF DI 90mm f/2.8 Macro is very good (I just bought one myself).
Here are some random pictures on PBase:
Tamron SP AF DI 90mm f/2.8 Macro Lens Sample Photos and Specifications
02-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Went thru the macro shortage last season in the US. They are probably getting ready to switch their equipment over to make another batch. The DFA 100 is worth waiting for. It is my most used lens. It even beats out the 31L and 77L.
thanks
barondla
02-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rob,

Try looking at Photozone.de. There you will see fairly nice reviewing techniques on C&N and Sigma and Tamron and Tokina lenses including their respective macros. I happen to have recently bought the Sigma 180. I was originally looking for the Sigma 150. I think I made the right choice in the 180. I have two Pentax macros, a 50 and 100. But I prefer the working distance of the Sigma and the sharpness can be simply stunning.

I don't know if my hosting site is listed on the bottom of this thread but you can get and idea of the Sigma's ability by viewing one of the macro galleries at pbase.com/scgushue.

Hope this helps a little.

Stephen

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
I've seen astonishing photos from the Pentax 100/f2.8 macro lens and everyone sings its praises IF you can find one. Are there decent comparable lenses from other manufacturers in a focal length close to it that anyone has and can recommend, such as Sigma or Tamron? This appears to be the only way I'll manage to "grab" one since the Pentax supply has dried up for the moment! Links to photos would be appreciated. If this has been covered here and I missed it, I apologize in advance!
Thanks,
Rob W
02-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
Thanks,
Rob W
I don't think you can go wrong with macros in that range. I have tried a number of them, especially the older ones, and I don't think there is a 100-ish macro that is not at least very good. (Even the "el cheapo" rebadged 100/3.5 Macro is quite good, once you get past the build quality.)

My favorite macros are older gems: Pentax A 100/2.8 Macro, Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 Macro, Tokina AT-X 90/2.5 Macro, and Vivitar Series 1 90-180/4.5 Flat Field Zoom.

02-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Folks! I'm still looking, but have sent a "notify when in" request to sigma4less.com for the Sigma 180 macro and to B & H for the Pentax 100mm/f2.8 macro. I've seen enough good photos from both to want them both!
Stay tuned; when I get one or both, I'll start posting some photos for you all to laugh at! ;o)
Rob W
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

SCG, if pentax doesn't bring out a new 200 macro, and can't find a used one, I will probably buy the Sigma 180. Is there anything you like/dislike about it? Anything that surprised you?
thanks
barondla
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #11

The Kiron 105/2.8 is a really superb lens. It's manual focus only but i can't see that it would be much of a problem. It's razor sharp and has been mooted as one of the best macro's around for any system for many years.

I got mine just before christmas and paid $250 for. Probably a bit over the top but a newbie bidder on eBay pushed the price up with 32 bids in the last few minutes
03-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #12

I have the possibility to buy a Kiron 105mm 2.8., but I hesitate as I am not sure if it is the Pentax mount.
Can you please tell me if the lens from the pictures below is Pentax mount. I see that the lens in marked P/K near the mount.

One more question, would be how much should I pay for it. The seller asks quite a price to my opinion...

03-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

That is a Pentax mount, but less convenient because it has no "A" position on the aperture ring. That means many less automatic camera features will work. The PK/A version with "A" position goes for $350 or $400. This PK version often sells for quite a high price anyway. I don't know whether buyers are willing and knowingly giving up "A" convenience or just making a mistake.