Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Japan Lens Survey

This morning I got an invitation to participate in a fairly extensive survey on K-mount lenses. It covered most of the areas you would expect - buying priorities, type of photography, desired features, etc.

The interesting part was where they asked which of the following lenses I would want. There were separate sections for DA and full frame lenses. Here are the lists translated.

As a DA user, I was heartened to see that there was still an equal focus on crop lenses, with some items in there that I would really be interested in (18mm, 23mm). Anyone else interested in an F1.8 telecom for APS-C?

DA lenses

- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Ultrawide(16mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(18mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(23mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Normal(35mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Short Telephoto(55mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(13mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(16mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(18mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(23mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Normal(35mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short Telephoto(50mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short Telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- (F2.8 class)Telephoto(200mm)Prime Lens
- (F2.8 class)Telephoto(300mm)Prime Lens
- (F4 class)Telephoto(300mm)Prime Lens
- (F2.8 class)Telephoto(400mm)Prime Lens
- (F4 class)Telephoto(400mm)Prime Lens
- (F2.8 class)Normal(50mm)Macro lens
- (F2.8 class)Normal(100mm)Macro lens
- Fisheye prime
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Telephoto zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Telephoto zoom
- (F4 class)Wide zoom
- (F4 class)Normal zoom
- (F4 class)Telephoto zoom
- Fisheye zoom
- (Variable aperture)Wide zoom
- (Variable aperture)Normal zoom
- (Variable aperture)Telephoto zoom
- (Variable aperture)Super telephoto zoom(400mm class)
- (Variable aperture)Superzoom
- Shift lens
- Tilt lens

Full frame lenses

- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Ultrawide(24mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(28mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(35mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Normal(50mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Short telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(20mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(24mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(28mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(35mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Normal(50mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short telephoto(135mm)Prime Lens
- Fisheye prime
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Telephoto zoom
- (F4 class)Wide zoom
- (F4 class)Normal zoom
- Fisheye zoom
- Shift lens
- Tilt lens
- Soft Lens

09-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only now Ricoh start asking themselves what full frame lenses they should do? Waoow!
09-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, thank you so much for sharing this JPT! This is indeed encouraging.

Given their limited resources, I doubt that more than the tiniest fraction of those lens types will actually see the light of day, but as you said, it strikes one as if their premise was still equal weight of the DA and DFA lines. Plus, they seem to be genuinely interested in finding out what Pentaxians' real preferences are, which would be definitely a good thing.
09-19-2015, 12:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Ooooh.... fast primes... I want them. All of them...

09-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

For APS-C I would like to see all current lenses to be updated to HD, DC, WR (especially DA 50 and DA 35, plus DC for the HD DA 55-300 WR), plus an optically better 16-50 f/2.8, a HD DA 12-24 f/2.8 DC WR and a HD DA 24 or 28 f/1.8 DC WR.
09-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of these would be huge sellers if they get produced.
09-19-2015, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Some of these would be huge sellers if they get produced.
Given that some of them have never been made by anyone, I suspect a Nobel Prize for reinventing optics would be order for a couple of them.
09-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
This morning I got an invitation to participate in a fairly extensive survey on K-mount lenses. It covered most of the areas you would expect - buying priorities, type of photography, desired features, etc.

The interesting part was where they asked which of the following lenses I would want. There were separate sections for DA and full frame lenses. Here are the lists translated.

As a DA user, I was heartened to see that there was still an equal focus on crop lenses, with some items in there that I would really be interested in (18mm, 23mm). Anyone else interested in an F1.8 telecom for APS-C?

DA lenses

- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Ultrawide(16mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(18mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(23mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Normal(35mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Short Telephoto(55mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(13mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(16mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(18mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(23mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Normal(35mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short Telephoto(50mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short Telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- Fisheye prime
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F1.8 class)Telephoto zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8 class)Telephoto zoom
- (F4 class)Wide zoom
- (F4 class)Normal zoom
- Fisheye zoom
- Shift lens
- Tilt lens

Full frame lenses

- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Ultrawide(24mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(28mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Wide(35mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Normal(50mm)Prime Lens
- Large aperture (F1.4 class)Short telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(20mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Ultrawide(24mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(28mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Wide(35mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Normal(50mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short telephoto(85mm)Prime Lens
- (F1.8 class)Short telephoto(135mm)Prime Lens
- Fisheye prime
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Wide zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Normal zoom
- Large aperture(F2.8クラス)Telephoto zoom
- (F4 class)Wide zoom
- (F4 class)Normal zoom
- Fisheye zoom
- Shift lens
- Tilt lens
- Soft Lens
Thank you for sharing. They already have some of the lenses in each group. I guess plugging in the gaps would be a good start.

I am wondering why they are not asking people on this forum. This forum is one of the most active and useful forums I have every seen. There are so many people with deep knowledge that can help shape a bright future for the brand. I am baffled as to why they do not ask us.

09-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, there are a lot of great lens choices on the list. I personally like the for APS-C the 13 mm F1.8, 18 mm F1.8, the F1.8 wide, normal, and telephoto zooms and the F2.8 versions. And for full Frame the F1.8 primes the 20,24,28,35,50.85,135 and the all the F2.8 zooms and both F2.8 and F4 400 mm lenses. I choose a lot of F1.8 lenses over the F1.4 because they would be smaller and most of the people who want these lenses should be able to buy them. Just sayin.
09-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Ooooh.... fast primes... I want them. All of them...
Can any of us really see these 1.4 wide angle beasts coming to market ever ... ? And is there any valid technical reason for them anymore? Surely the main purpose in the past on film was light gathering, to counteract the limitations of being restricted to ASA 400 really, and the need for faster shutter 'speeds' handholding.

With the ISO performance now taken for granted, and even more that people expect from the FF, is there any reason to pay good money (plus add size and weight) to gain an extra 1/2 stop or so ..... ?
09-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Thank you for sharing. They already have some of the lenses in each group. I guess plugging in the gaps would be a good start.

I am wondering why they are not asking people on this forum. This forum is one of the most active and useful forums I have every seen. There are so many people with deep knowledge that can help shape a bright future for the brand. I am baffled as to why they do not ask us.
They do not recognize that this forum is close to ideal because Pentax Forums has photographers from all around the world and they could get a better sense of what people who have a vested interest in Pentax want. Since Japan is their largest market by far, they are not considering other world markets. They look at this forum as representing mostly the U.S. which only makes up a small percentage of their current sales.
09-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
They do not recognize that this forum is close to ideal because Pentax Forums has photographers from all around the world and they could get a better sense of what people who have a vested interest in Pentax want. Since Japan is their largest market by far, they are not considering other world markets. They look at this forum as representing mostly the U.S. which only makes up a small percentage of their current sales.
I don't think lens desires depend much on culture or marketing. Cameras and styling do, but what people what to take photos of...that's pretty universal.

I'd say it's just easier to reach Japan. Plus, this is probably a feeler survey, "See what the people think" thing. It will be a very small component of any decision and is most likely to lead to a better survey if something looks promising.
09-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vantage-Point Quote
You are right. Although Japan is their main market, PF represents the rest of the world.

I looked up the PF membership numbers just recently. About half are from the US. The other half represent the rest of the world, including Japan. People on PF are active Pentax buying people. If I were Ricoh, I would pay close attention to the people who buy their cameras. A small percentage increase in the total world numbers would be much greater than a modest increase in a niche market (Japan). There are 120 million or so people in Japan. There are over 6 billion people in the rest of the world, 320 million or so just in the US. I would be curious to know what the world market share is for each of the Pentax competitors.
09-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Can any of us really see these 1.4 wide angle beasts coming to market ever ... ? And is there any valid technical reason for them anymore? Surely the main purpose in the past on film was light gathering, to counteract the limitations of being restricted to ASA 400 really, and the need for faster shutter 'speeds' handholding.

With the ISO performance now taken for granted, and even more that people expect from the FF, is there any reason to pay good money (plus add size and weight) to gain an extra 1/2 stop or so ..... ?
For me, personally I notice a difference. It's always good to have the option to open up wide. I moved from the DA Limiteds to the FA Limiteds and that was one of the reasons...to have faster lenses.

It's always nice to have the option... it doesn't mean I always walk around shooting wide open but it's good to have. I personally find that f1.4 is a little much sometimes but f1.8 is a pretty good balance.

Whether or not the lenses get produced or not is a different story. On a FF camera assuming all that comes out as planned with my FA Limiteds everything goes down a notch. My 31mm will then fill the space of the 21mm. The 43 will assume the role of the 31mm and so on...

Aside from all that I think fast primes and having a lot of (modern) lens choices will make Pentax an even more viable option. Even 3 or 4 more FA Limited style and quality lenses will be outstanding.
09-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
...and a HD DA 24 or 28 f/1.8 DC WR.
I identified the lack of any affordable (well, at least more affordable than the 31) fast primes in this range as my biggest gripe with the current Pentax lineup in my response to that survey from a month or two ago. Glad to see I'm not the only one missing lenses like these.

Though I'm sure the K-mount does not make it easy compared to something with a shorter flange focal distance. But if Canon can make a 28/1.8 with 58mm filter thread weighing 310g for $510 (and it even covers FF), then it must be at least possible.