Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #1

70-200mm F2.8 Sigma/Tamron discontinued ??

I've had a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 ll APO EX DG macro since Jan-2008. Got it to shoot dirtbike racing with my K20D. Has been great lens. But last week while shooting birds in the back yard, mounted on my K3-ll, the auto focus just stoped working. Had a panic. moved the auto/manual switch a few times, tried it on the K20D, nothing. Dead as. Tried all my other lenses on both cameras, all worked fine on auto focus. Not the cameras

Has to be a dead auto focus on the Sigma 70-200 I guess 7 years service is good. Now what to do ? Send it in to be checked/fixed, obvious choice. But I thought, i've been seeing the Tamron SP 70-200 for under $1000AU, and the newer Sigma 70-200 OS HSM for $1100.AU. I'll get a new one and send this one in to see if it can be fixed also.

What a big suprise i got over the last few days searching for a new Tamron SP or Sigma OS HSM 70-200 F2.8 Pentax mount. Nobody had one, and I was being told by all I asked, they are both discontinued you can't get one.

So what's Pentax doing. Paying Tamron and Sigma to stop making the Pentax mount lenses ?? Or, Tamron and Sigma don't sell enough Pentax mount lenses to justify making new ones ?? But they must be selling them, because every shop online I've searched doesn't have any, and can't get them from supplier/importer.

Ended up finding a dealer who had a few left imported direct from Japan @ $760Au one year warranty return back to them. So I ordered one. Will keep the Sigma as a manual only lens.

Yes, I know that Pentax has one coming out soon, and I'd love to wait and get it. But $2400AU is just a bit rich for me. If your reading this Pentax. You could give me one....

Last edited by Craig66; 09-19-2015 at 05:51 PM.
09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma 70-200mm was discontinued last year in the K mount, which is a bummer but apparently it didn't sell.

The old Tamron 70-200mm with screwdrive should still be available (and at an attractive price), but Tamron has basically abandoned the K mount as far as new advancements go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
Ended up finding a dealer who had a few left imported direct from Japan @ $760Au
Was that a screw drive Tamron, or a newer Sigma OS HSM? Either way, $760 is a great deal. Which store?

Meanwhile, I'd send the old lens along to CRK for a check and repair quote. Could be something simple wrong with it.

But yes, it does seem as if the new Sigma 70-200 EX DG APO OS HSM isn't available in Pentax anymore. So now Pentax will have a monopoly on the 70-200 focal length, once it releases it's lens.
09-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
I've had a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 ll APO EX DG macro since Jan-2008. Got it to shoot dirtbike racing with my K20D. Has been great lens. But last week while shooting birds in the back yard, mounted on my K3-ll, the auto focus just stoped working. Had a panic. moved the auto/manual switch a few times, tried it on the K20D, nothing. Dead as. Tried all my other lenses on both cameras, all worked fine on auto focus. Not the cameras

Has to be a dead auto focus on the Sigma 70-200 I guess 7 years service is good. Now what to do ? Send it in to be checked/fixed, obvious choice. But I thought, i've been seeing the Tamron SP 70-200 for under $1000AU, and the newer Sigma 70-200 OS HSM for $1100.AU. I'll get a new one and send this one in to see if it can be fixed also.

What a big suprise i got over the last few days searching for a new Tamron SP or Sigma OS HSM 70-200 F2.8 Pentax mount. Nobody had one, and I was being told by all I asked, they are both discontinued you can't get one.

So what's Pentax doing. Paying Tamron and Sigma to stop making the Pentax mount lenses ?? Or, Tamron and Sigma don't sell enough Pentax mount lenses to justify making new ones ?? But they must be selling them, because every shop online I've searched doesn't have any, and can't get them from supplier/importer.

Ended up finding a dealer who had a few left imported direct from Japan @ $760Au one year warranty return back to them. So I ordered one. Will keep the Sigma as a manual only lens.

Yes, I know that Pentax has one coming out soon, and I'd love to wait and get it. But $2400AU is just a bit rich for me. If your reading this Pentax. You could give me one....
For my money, if the repair is around $200, it is worth the money. From my Canon days, I owned many Sigma lenses. One of them was a 15mm F2.8 lens which started focusing really slow. I knew something was wrong so I sent it to Sigma for an estimate. They said that is was a belt inside causing the problem. Price to fix including shipping back to me was $80 dollars (US). I went ahead with the repair. The lens came back working like day one. What was interesting, was a letter I got with the lens saying that this is the last time the lens can be repaired as they no longer make parts for it. My lens was about ten years old. So remember that in repairing your lens, they may not support it in say another 4 or 5 years.

09-20-2015, 05:36 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Tamron 70-200 and it's my favorite, however, you should be aware that auto focus is this lens weak point. It is quite noisy and sometimes searches, although I can easily live with that. The images it produces are truly spectacular. While not a true macro lens, I absolutely love the close up shots I can get with it. In fact, I believe I get more great images with it than any other lens I have. I think for the price its' one of the great lens deals out there. In addition, if you buy a new one the Tamron warranty is really great.
09-20-2015, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Was that a screw drive Tamron, or a newer Sigma OS HSM? Either way, $760 is a great deal. Which store?
EDIT; 23/9/15. LINK REMOVED. SITE MISS LEADING AND NOT TRUSTWORTHY.

When i ordered one on Saturday it was listed at $758.00AU Now at $894.00.... ORDER CANCELLED..

Last edited by Craig66; 09-22-2015 at 11:59 PM.