Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Well, I was lead astray...the Pentax 150-450 IS in stock at the distributor, so ordered quick smart.
Looking forward to using it...and hoping I have made a good choice.

Cheers,
Terry
Somehow I think you Will be very happy.

09-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Well, I was lead astray...the Pentax 150-450 IS in stock at the distributor, so ordered quick smart.

Cheers,
Terry
You did the best choice! I have both the DFA 150-450 and the Bigma 50-500 OS and though I love my Bigma and I kept it as a back up zoom, the DFA is better in every aspect except the less zoom range it covers. The DFA is a really wonderful lens and once you get it you gonna enjoy it. It surely worth the extra money!
09-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #18

Let us know how you like it. Did you get the 1.4 as well ?

I'm leaning towards the pentax as well. Curious how the 1.4 works with the lens.

Also wondering....what is the difference between the 2 in IQ at the long end...and can the difference be made up with post processing.
09-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

From what I've seen, you won't be disappointed. I haven't heard of anyone sending theirs back because the IQ wasn't there.

09-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kentster Quote
Let us know how you like it. Did you get the 1.4 as well ?
I'm leaning towards the pentax as well. Curious how the 1.4 works with the lens.
I will report back when I have used it a bit.
No, I didn't get the 1.4. I'll see how the 450mm works for me, and then ponder on the 1.4.

Cheers,
Terry
09-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't think you will be sorry, it appears to be a great lens from what I've seen. As a long term investment it should pay off nicely too for your long shooting needs.

I was still teetering on the Pentax when that Bigma 50-500 came along on the Marketplace, almost brand new, pristine condition, and for only $1K......had to grab it! As a long time Bigma shooter, I pretty much knew what to expect, and it hasn't disappointed.

The main thing for me is do squirrels like it? Well, not as well as they like peanuts, but it does seem acceptable to them!

All at 500mm...all heavy crops....the Bigma does well enough for me at 500mm. I've heard some say at 500mm it is not so good, but I have never found that to be the case.

I don't know if you are a long lens shooter with experience or not....it will make a difference. If you are then you already know what to expect...if not you can easily become disappointed with either long lens. You have to "learn their ways" and do the adjusting, in how you shoot and in what settings you use with your camera...and lens.

For new long lens shooters, these lenses are big an bulky...some never adjust to that, in particular if hand holding. I do 100% of my shots hand-held, so I adjusted long ago. They are also slow, these are not fast lenses to focus in low light, you just have to learn their limitations and adjust to them. In good light, my new Bigma is very fast...in low light it hunts like a bird dog.You have to adjust and know how to handle that or it will drive you crazy.

You won't get every shot.....but in time you can get most of them if you know the limitations, and the joy is well worth the time spent in "learning the ways" of your new lens. Frustration can kill your experience, and that shouldn't happen with either the Sigma or the Pentax. Either one can bring you great joy and results you will appreciate.

Best of luck and congratulations, long lens shooting is fun and rewarding, I hope you enjoy as much as I do!

Best Regards!
Rupert

....had to stop in the middle of typing this to take a snap and answer Otis' question?. He was asking if I had more of these big peanuts? Otis loves his big nuts!
Got his handsome face in good focus...and for Otis that is what counts most! Damn he's good lookin"!

One other thing.....to get some speed, don't be afraid to push up the ISO. I get lots of plenty good enough shots at ISO 3200 and 6400. If the light is not there, don't miss a shot trying to be a "purist" with low ISO shots. Most anyone can shoot in great light, don't let low light stop your joy!
09-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You have to "learn their ways" and do the adjusting, in how you shoot and in what settings you use with your camera...and lens.

What did you find you had to adjust with how you shot (settings) for the bigma? I'm leaning towards the pentax, newer technology, continued Pentax support, excellent IQ. I would prefer the price of the bigma but...it's limited at 500mmm apparently no compatibility with a T/C. And...ive see some less than desirable image sharpness examples at the long range. Really want crazy sharp images for birds and furry critters.

09-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

What did you find you had to adjust with how you shot (settings) for the bigma?
Lots of things, but that most likely applies to any big long lens that is not super fast...and few are unless you want to spend a ton of cash. Low light shooting is a task, hunting occurs and you have to maintain some speed too...so you have to adjust the ISO. I find that shooting in M and lowering the ISO and increasing the speed, then processing to lighten works best for me. Also, focusing on something in the same plane that will lock focus fast and then recomposing for your subject is a needed tool with the Bigma in low light. In decent light the Bigma HSM is fast and accurate. Not a problem in any way. The OS is excellent, but I don't think any better than the Pentax SR...I turned it off in favor of SR.

I don't do "crazy sharp" Some of my shots are already sharper than I desire and getting too crazy appears unnatural to me....If it is sharper than my near perfect eyes, it probably is too sharp to be natural. I guess that all depends on your taste and what you expect from your final outcome? If that is your main objective, you should probably go with the Pentax.

I only paid $1K for my absolutely like new Bigma, so it was a no brainer when the deal came along. I have enjoyed my old one for many years and it satisfies my needs, but if the Pentax came my way at that price, I'd grab it too! Mrs Rupert willing, of course, and she usually is!

Best Regards!
09-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a DFA 150-450 from the Australian distributor two weeks ago....arrived two days later. (they got a new shipment in that week) Bought a monopod afew days later. Easy lens to walk around and shoot with (I use a Black rapid curve strap)
09-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would prefer the price of the bigma but...it's limited at 500mmm apparently no compatibility with a T/C. And...ive see some less than desirable image sharpness examples at the long range. Really want crazy sharp images for birds and furry critters.
There are no free lunches in these focal lengths - you get what you pay for. The Sigma zooms are very good but not as good as the Pentax and if you want better/longer then Canikon do some nice ones if you don't mind selling your house to pay for them
09-26-2015, 09:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
There are no free lunches in these focal lengths - you get what you pay for.
Isn't that the truth! Reminds me of the reply old Norm gave some time ago regarding Pentax focusing abilities. He reminded that you can get the best and fastest...for a price.

Same with lenses and most everything else in life. Sometimes we get a bargain, but bargains seldom outperform the best available. The Sigma is not the best available...neither is the Pentax. Selling my house is not a good option for me to shoot with the best lens available!

Not wanting to step on any toes here, but there are so many factors involved in a long lens that are often as, or more, important than the lens IQ itself. Looking at the Pentax 150-450 thread, it is pretty easy to spot the experienced long lens shooters among the inexperienced. Knowing your lens, its limitations, and your own, will determine the outcome more often than not.
It takes time to "learn the ways" of any lens, but long zooms in particular take time and patience. Over the years I've seen many Bigma shooters give up in frustration......too big, too heavy, can't get the shots they desire etc. This will hold true for the Pentax too, they are not easy to master, but if you take the time and have the patience, they will reward you handsomely.

I am no Bigma expert, and break the rules with almost every shot, but keep on learning and do learn from most of my mistakes. Long lens shooting is both a skill and an art, regardless of the lens used.

Due to my shooting location (at my desk and through my windows) and the low light in the surrounding Woods of Otis, few of my shots can utilize good light. This results in most being at high ISO values and slow shutter speeds. Note that the best long lens shots in the 150-450 thread are fast speeds and low ISO values......this holds true for the Sigma lenses too. I realize that if I wasn't so damn lazy, got outside in good light, and utilized the best features of both my K5IIs and my Bigma, my shots would greatly improve. I do think about it...but it's just so damn comfortable in here with my coffee or iced tea, my comfy chair, and birds and other animals that come to me on that cedar fence and in the woods outside, that I don't think about it too long!

Best Regards!

Here I was ale to get the ISO down to 400...but still had to push it in processing a couple of stops. 1/125 is pretty slow for handheld.....so imagine if I could have shot it at 1/800 ISO 200? Wouldn't it be nice if we could get every shot at optimal settings!
09-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I bought a DFA 150-450 from the Australian distributor two weeks ago....arrived two days later. (they got a new shipment in that week) Bought a monopod afew days later. Easy lens to walk around and shoot with (I use a Black rapid curve strap)
I use the Black Rapid curve strap as well, quite good.
I haven't tried using a monopod as yet. My tripod converts into one and I will try it soon.
I'm still getting the feel for the 150-450.
The zoom ring rotates in the opposite direction to my Sigma lenses, something that I have yet to get used to.
Also keeping track of little birds, which tend to move about pretty quick, can be quite difficult at 450mm.

Cheers,
Terry
12-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
You did the best choice! I have both the DFA 150-450 and the Bigma 50-500 OS and though I love my Bigma and I kept it as a back up zoom, the DFA is better in every aspect except the less zoom range it covers. The DFA is a really wonderful lens and once you get it you gonna enjoy it. It surely worth the extra money!
I also have the Bigma.... and in some cases very happy with it. In others....not very happy at all with it.

Really pondering selling it and going for the pentad 150-450.

Did you immediatley notice huge improvements over the Bigma ?
12-02-2015, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Did you immediatley notice huge improvements over the Bigma ?
Huge is a huge word! You definitely see the improvement in IQ from the first shots. If I could say in a a few words my notions about those 2 zooms that would be: The Bigma is easy to use and gives more keepers that vary from good to really good pictures, and has nice bokeh. The DFA 150-450 is a better zoom overall (I mean starting from the built quality), more tricky to use as the K-5IIs SR doesn't prove to be as effective as the Sigma in lens OS and gives less keepers (haven't tried it on the K-3 but those who have, they say that there is big improvement in many aspects). The bad pics from the DFA can be really bad! BUT: It is quite faster (more than just 33% brighter that the F numbers indicate) gives images with greater colours, contrast and resolution than the Bigma and the really good pics from the DFA 150-450 are superb, far better than the Bigma can provide... They approach the prime quality.

I haven't made an extensive review yet at the lens database but I will. If you need any other specific information I'll be happy to help.

I will upload some aviation pics also sometime soon.
12-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I'm thinking you'll be pretty happy with it. But be sure and keep us informed. We always look forward to receiving new information and images.