Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my Bigma used on the forums here for $800. I have the newer HSM OS model. If I were buying something new I would get the Pentax 150-450. At the prices these are the difference isn't that much. The Pentax is newer technology, from what I've seen better built, and sharper at the long end. Shooting with these long lenses takes time, patience, and pratice. I am still learning with mine. In the future I would definitely like to get a 150-450 or even a DA*300 to use with my 1.4 TC. The nice thing about the newer lenses, is being able to shoot at lower shutter speeds.
500mm 1/160s f9 K3

Being able to shoot at higher ISO's helps a lot. ISO1600 500mm f9 1/100s OS2 hand held. I have found the Bigma's OS is fairly effective.

Like Noel I have found a monopod helps when I am out for long periods of time. After a couple of hours I get too tired to hand hold the Bigma steady.
500mm f10 1/160 on a monopod, using OS1 on the Bigma

At first when I started using the Bigma I was disappointed. My results were not very good. I asked a lot of questions here and read alot of articles. The fun thing is just being able to get out and shoot. I have enjoyed shooting with these longer lenses more than I ever did back with film. The options are only limited to your own imagination.
500mm f10 1/400s ISO640 hand held

Unlike Rupert I have not had decent results shooting wide open. I normally shoot between f8-f10.
I am sure you will enjoy your new lens. I always look forward to seeing new images, especially from that 150-450.

Last edited by Scorpio71GR; 12-02-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Fix typos.