Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

M42 to K-Mount

Hey All,

This might be a dumb question, but....

I picked up a cheap M42 no brand piece of glass, and the Pentax Ring mount, but before I start playing is there anything I need to know?

Do I mount the ring to the lens then both to camera?

And I have heard from others that when you remove the lens the ring remains on the camera?

Just do not want to damage anything!

DEVS

06-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes to both questions!
06-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep you got it. I like to mount the ring/adaptor to the lens and then mount it all to the body. I'd like to remove it like that also, but it seems the lens always lets loose before the ring and I'm left with the ring/adaptor on the body. I gave up using the knock off adaptors although a lot of folks use them with no problem. I have 2 of the genuine pentax adaptors and they are easier for me to work with. I can't see what you could do to damage anything, but I do understand asking. Better safe than sorry!
06-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You - Both - Now it is time to play - well in the morning!

DEVS

06-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devs66 Quote
This might be a dumb question, but....
Nope, it is always good to be careful

QuoteQuote:
Do I mount the ring to the lens then both to camera?
If you have the genuine Pentax adapter then it is up to you. I usually put the adapter in the camera. You need to realise that there is a leaf spring that locks the adapter in place, this is important because the M42 lens will not have a hole for the body locking pin so you are relying on tightly screwing the lens into the mount to prevent it coming unstuck. (One of my M42 lenses has a stiff focusing ring so I sometimes unscrew the lens when focusing <g>).

If you have a third party adapter then it is important that you remove the leaf spring. I had a Kood adapter and when I put it into the camera with the leaf spring intact it got stuck in the camera. Since then I have removed the leaf spring and I attach the adapter to the lens to make the lens a pseudo K-mount.

QuoteQuote:
And I have heard from others that when you remove the lens the ring remains on the camera?
If you leave the leaf spring in place, then yes, that is the case. To remove it you have to use something pointy to disengage the leaf spring. Most people use their finger nails, but, umm for those of us who bite their nails that is not an option. However, my Kood adapter came with a removal tool, and I use that with the Pentax adapter.

Basically, if I am going to be M42 exclusively then I use the pentax adapter. If I am going to use K-mount lenses too I cannot be bothered fiddling with the Pentax adapter and so I use the Kood by screwing it on the M42 lens and treating it as a K-mount.

Richard