Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Now I see the light...

Ive never owned a prime lens until today. Ive always been a fan of zoom lenses due to the versatility and never really had a desire for prime lenses until recently. With all the buzz in the forums about the FA 50mm f/1.4, I had to give it a shot. For just $200, you almost cant go wrong.

While the following represents nothing spectacular, technically speaking, I was simply amazed at the sharpness of this lens, even WIDE open! (Note the reflections in the eye). The colors are rendered beautifully, the bokeh is pleasing.

Im a believer now! I just have to get used to zooming with my feet

06-21-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You've seen the light both literally and metaphorically. That f/1.4 really helps in dim lighting conditions. Glad to see you're enjoying the lens.
06-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #3
Inactive Account

PentaxScott,

I am the same as you, I only just received my first 50mm f1.7 prime last week and it leaves the zoom lenses for dead !!!
06-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No argument from me...

The FA 50/1.4 is a great lens, but add the versatile DA 40/2.8 Limited at (say) $275 will change your 'prime' position from 'convert' to 'fan-boy disciple' (you gotta have confidence in your stuff, or you'll never push it or yourself, to the max).

The pair are awesome arrows to have in your quiver!

Enjoy the season...

06-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Go one step further and get the DA35LTD with Macro and you can get even more creative. But like you I am a zoomer. The 35mm is my walk around lens however, my other three primes have specific purposes.
06-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO if you only get one prime lens, this has to be it. But once you do, other primes will follow.

There's not much the FA50/1.4 or the F/FA 50/1.7 can't do and do very well. Plus to add to it, you can put a good 2 x TC or a cheap set of extension tubes on the lens and it makes a great 1:1 macro lens with better DOF characteristics than almost any lens on the market.