Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
39mm thread lens mount

I bought a STEINHEIL MUNCHEN TELE-QUINAR 135mm 1:3.5 today, a bit worn and dirty but the aperture stops down (manual only) and the focus seems to be quite smooth. No lens cap thought there is a no brand metal mount cap. I thought it might be nice to try on my DSLR. However, looking on the net, it seems to be quite a rare or obscure lens with little information available.
Can someone tell me what 39mm to M42 adapter I need? Is it a Leica thread or something a bit obscure. What I have read leads me to believe this might have fitted a Braun camera With a slightly different mount) rather than a Leica mount but I'm rather ignorant of what adapter I should be looking for as well as ignorant about this make of lens.
The aperture range is from 3.5-22, no tripod mount, serial number 1809022
There is nothing on the lens to give me a clue apart from Germany engraved near the mount on the opposite side to the DOF scale.

09-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

If you have an M42 adapter you just need to buy a 39mm to M42 adapter ring - M42 threads on the outside - m39 on the inside. It just screws into the M42 adapter. Fotodiox and many otehrs sell these. Note if you have the Philippines made Pentax adapter the Fotodiox ring may not thread into it. The Fotodiox threads fine into my Japan made adapters and Asahi Auto Bellows. The tolerances of the Philippines made adapter are slightly different even though my Takumar lenses thread perfectly.
09-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you have an M42 adapter you just need to buy a 39mm to M42 adapter ring - M42 threads on the outside - m39 on the inside. It just screws into the M42 adapter. Fotodiox and many otehrs sell these. Note if you have the Philippines made Pentax adapter the Fotodiox ring may not thread into it. The Fotodiox threads fine into my Japan made adapters and Asahi Auto Bellows. The tolerances of the Philippines made adapter are slightly different even though my Takumar lenses thread perfectly.
Thank you for the quick reply.
I have seen the adapter you suggest but am worried that the fit, due to the tpi (threads per inch) might cause problems and that the distance from the film plane (for focussing) might be affected by the particular 39mm mount this has. The information I have read on the net does not indicate which 39mm mount this lens has.
09-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can check out this list:

Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

As long as the lens mounts you will get some sort of decent focussing range, as long as its not designed eg for some sort of rangefinder camera with a really short reg distance.

09-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know for certain, but I doubt this is a Leica 39 thread. If you have the lens, you can actually count the TpI. The problem that a wrong TPI might cause, is preventing the lens from getting screwed on, or worse, getting the whole thing stuck together. The register distance is the other problem, since the rangefinder lenses have a different one from the "Soviet" m39 and m42 (and also Pentax K)
09-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
You can check out this list:

Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

As long as the lens mounts you will get some sort of decent focussing range, as long as its not designed eg for some sort of rangefinder camera with a really short reg distance.
Thank you, this list confirms that there are at least 3 types of 39mm mount. I shall have to buy an adapter and not worry about cross threading my lens. I have both the Pentax 42mm adapter and a M42 flanged adapter so I might get infinity focussing with one of them.
09-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
From what I've heard, this is from a Braun Paxette, which has a 44mm registration distance, compared to the 45.46 of the Pentax m42s. As a result, you should be able to get a reasonable amount of focusing depth, although you won't get all the way to infinity. Leica m39 rangefinder lenses are only 28.8mm, so they are pretty much unusable on Pentax K.

The standard m39 thread is used on both mounts.

Braun Paxette series - Camerapedia
Thanks, a standard m39 thread then.

---------- Post added 09-23-15 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't know for certain, but I doubt this is a Leica 39 thread. If you have the lens, you can actually count the TpI. The problem that a wrong TPI might cause, is preventing the lens from getting screwed on, or worse, getting the whole thing stuck together. The register distance is the other problem, since the rangefinder lenses have a different one from the "Soviet" m39 and m42 (and also Pentax K)
Without a gauge but using a ruler, the pitch seems to be about 1mm and just over 1mm of thread on the lens. I've ordered a 2mm wide adaptor so will see how it goes. Now I shall have to look for a lens cap, either 53mm internal or 57mm slip over! pretty weird lens.
10-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on my Steinheil Munchen tele-quinar 135mm with 39mm thread mount....................I bought a Chinese Leica 39-42mm adapter and fitted the lens to my camera. I first tried it with a recessed type adapter (Pentax made) and I found the lens would close focus to about 7 feet and far focus to about 45 feet. I then tried it with a flanged type adapter and found the close focus reduced to a few inches less and the far focus reduced to a few feet less than previously. The lens markings getting on for about 60-80 degrees short of being centralised to the top of the lens. The 39-42mm adapter is just under 4mm thick so a reduction of a couple of millimetres might help to re-align the focussing distances to near what the lens would have produced. Thinking the mount might be adjustable, I removed the three screws holding it to the body but was unable to detect any movement available. I didn't use much force so it might be adjustable but sticking.

Any thoughts anyone?

Looking at the images, apertures outside the f5.6-f11 sweet spot show a deterioration in the quality of the images....but the 10 blade bokeh seems nice... to me anyway.

Thank you to all who posted replies to my initial enquiry.

10-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #9

On the genuine Pentax adapter there is nothing to stop the M39 adapter from threading completely through so it can be set at any depth. If this allows you to set the lens deeper into the M42 adapter that might work.

Otherwise you would probably have to mill down rear of the lens to make it shorter.

You may be able to adjust the infinity focus from the lens helical thread.

With a 28.8 vs 45.46 mm flange register I doubt there is much you can do without a corrective lens.
10-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can we see a picture of the back of the lens?
10-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Pictures of lens mount. I think I might give this lens a go as a portrait lens or pass it on to someone who will appreciate it better and know how to fix/use it. Than you for the posts I have received.
10-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 10-03-15 at 09:54 AM ----------

BE CAREFUL if you attempt to seat the lens farther back. There's always a chance it well get deep enough that the mirror will strike it on the upswing. BTW: I remember the Tele-Quinar's from my earliest days in photography. They did not have a very good reputation for IQ, the 135mm preset Takumar being hands down better. I note that there's a 135mm close-focus Tamron adaptall 2 in the Marketplace for only $85. That looks like a great experimenter's lens at a bargain price. It would have both correct registration and auto-diaphragm.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 10-03-2015 at 06:55 AM.
10-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #13

It doesn't look like you have many options. Unless those are grub screws holding the rear mount on even if there are shims you have to re-tap screw holes for the mount. Getting somebody with a lathe to mill down the rear mount is still a possibility.

Adjusting the infinity focus might be a chore. Although it look like the screws holding the focus ring to the helicoid barrel are easily accessible. Getting to the focus barrel to adjust it may require more disassembly - it appears that the iris/diaphragm mechanism needs to be removed too.
10-03-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you again to all of you who posted suggestions. I will endeavour to clean up the lens a bit and if I use it between the focussing distances available and am happy with the results I might keep it. Having an ancient lens or two in my collection is fine. I have other 135mm's but am looking forward to getting a Pentax/Takumar (or some other with good IQ) 135mm at some time in the future, having an "A" Pentax Adaptall 2 means a Tamron is a possibility but not at 85 bucks I'm afraid. LBA is all very well but only where these lenses only cost a few pounds. Though I did buy a Tamron SP 60-300mm model 23A for 29 and a SMC Pentax-F 70-210mm for 25 and am very happy with those purchases so occasionally I do splash out.
I shall delete this thread in a few days.
10-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #15
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I shall delete this thread in a few days.
Please don't. Some of the information in here might well be of use to someone in the future.