Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* No More Fear…. Of Scratches….

FA* No More Fear…. Of Scratches….
I did my own Lenscovers to protect my FA* lenses. They are not intended to work as a rain cover; they shall only protect my lenses from scratches, mild bumps and reduce the visibility of the shiny lenses.

Things I used:
  • Copy paper (A4)
  • Paper Cutter
  • Neoprene piece, Black, 3mm, rubber side and textile side, closed cell, 130 x 40 cm
  • White Pencil
  • Black Pen
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine (Bernina)
  • Black Thread
  • Tape
  • Velcro
  • Sharp knife
  • Time…
Covers made for:
  • FA* 250-600 F5.6
  • FA* 80-200 F2.8
  • FA* 28-70 F2.8
  • FA* 85 F1.4
  • FA* 24 F2
Bought the Lenscoat for the FA* 400 F5.6 a while ago.

How:
  • Measure the width of the lens section to cover.
  • Cut the paper to the width (Pen, Paper cutter) needed.
  • The length of the paper should be around 1-4 cm less than the circumference of the lens section. Dependent on the form of the lens section if there is things like buttons or curvature you want to make it shorter = tighter fit. Plus it is for sure very dependent on the Neoprene type you’ll get.
  • Shorten (scissor) or extend (tape) the length of the paper section.
  • Use the paper piece as a mask for the neoprene. Lay the paper flat on the neoprene. I used the rubbery side (so no marks will be visible on the outside). Use the white pencil to mark the shape of the mask (I used water to soften the pencils tip (water soluble pencil, Caran d’Ache)).
  • Cut the neoprene to the marked size.
  • Sew the ends together (zigzag, 5mm, reduced thread tension to minimum, had the rubber side up) lift the foot to reduce the compression of the neoprene as needed, you will experience it…
  • Cut off the thread ends.
  • Put the section on lens and check if the fit is right. If not cut the sewed part off and sew again…
  • If there is a window— like the AF or Zoom range — turn the section mounted on the lens around, so you see the rubber side. Move it just above the window and mark the width and height of the window on the neoprene section. The height & width (sometimes you need to make the width smaller / bigger as you don’t stretch it the same way) should be exactly as the window. Take the section off the lens. Fold the section in half, the way that the marked window is in half use very sharp scissors to cut the window.
  • For the 250-600mm
    • “Sliding Section” for when the hood is extended, I sewed a Velcro on the neoprene (makes it easy to mount when needed, fits over the hood for storage).
    • Lens collar section, I cut holes where needed and sewed a Velcro on the end.
    • Tripod foot, I measured the dimensions and sewed a cover together (4 pieces in total)… with side pieces, an opening on top and the whole bottom was left open.
    • For the strap anchors I just made a slit in the right length where needed
  • For the 24mm
    • I rolled the hood over a piece of paper and marked the dimensions

I just had planned to do it for the 250-600 but had some neoprene left, it became very easy so I did it for all my silver lenses…
I had ordered some samples of different neoprene before I ordered a bigger piece, I ended up using. I liked the rubbery side + textile side samples as this rubber side shows quite high friction and thus will stay in place… not like the double sided textile neoprene stuff.
I’m pretty happy with the covers I produced, might not be the nicest but they will work. Honestly I never sewed before “luckily” my GF inherited a sewing machine a while ago. I had to play around with different settings but I found a way to do it. The first cover (250-600) took me an afternoon as I had to repeat many things with all sorts of settings to find out what works best. The other ones e.g. 80-200mm 30min, 28-70mm 10 min.

I got inspired by:

I have tried the Camo form Tape and its working but it’s moving easily, sticks to itself, it’s not a bump protection, cannot be taken off that fast, but has a nice feel/haptic
https://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19550
I have also tried the cheaper tapes offered on amazon but those are not in the same league as the camo form stuff. They are slightly glossy, look cheap, do not stick as well to itself and don't stay in place at all… It does not feel as nice as the camo form. So if you want to use tape use the camo form…

Pictures:

Last edited by max_pyne; 09-27-2015 at 11:43 PM.
09-23-2015, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
pictures...

---------- Post added 23-09-15 at 19:53 ----------

had some problems with the upload, here we go
Attached Images

Last edited by max_pyne; 09-23-2015 at 10:54 AM.
09-23-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice work!
09-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

wow, great Job,,!

I Would love it to my 80-200 and F*300 in camouflage.

09-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a fantastic job; very professional! I may try to do this for mine; thanks so much for your complete instructions!
09-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very elegant!
09-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I may try to do this for mine; thanks so much for your complete instructions!
if you have questions let me know!
09-28-2015, 06:19 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate your kindness!