Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 12:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Zeiss lenses for Full Frame body?

hello Pentaxians,

I just wanted to let you know that I contacted Zeiss in Germany as I was considering the Distagon 18mm f/4 as a superwide prime in anticipation of the purchase of the FF body. Here is their answer. It is quite a corporate/vague answer but it means they are not completely closed to the idea I think:

"Dear Cyril,

Thanks for your inquiry.
Depending on the demand for new high-end full frame DSLR lenses with Pentax K-mount, we will consider this for the future.

For further details, please do not hesitate to contact us!

With best regards

Bertram Hönlinger
Kundensupport / Customer Support

Bertram Hönlinger

I am a Pentax owner and will probably invest into the new FF body (being anounced beg of October). I don't think they will anounce any super wide angle lens and I would be extremely interested by your Distagon T* 3,5/18 for Landscape Photography as it can hold front lens filters, it is a prime lense (so very sharp) and suitable for FF bodies. Pentax won't probably be producing such a lens before some time. In the past you used to have Pentax mounts but it seems you have stopped producing them. How likely would it be that with the upcoming FF you might start having K mounts again?
"

09-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cyril_K5 Quote
hello Pentaxians,

I just wanted to let you know that I contacted Zeiss in Germany as I was considering the Distagon 18mm f/4 as a superwide prime in anticipation of the purchase of the FF body. Here is their answer. It is quite a corporate/vague answer but it means they are not completely closed to the idea I think:
I would really like to see their new Milvus lens range available in Pentax K mount.

I like the fact that for Zeiss Milvus they have added WR.

Several of the Zeiss ZK lenses are now extremely hard to locate second hand, so it would be great to see Zeiss lenses available again for Pentax. As Zeiss state - it is going to depend on the take up of the new FF camera.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Ross
09-25-2015, 12:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you do not like to wait you can get classic Zeiss lenses in M42 mount...

Large Image Format Lenses | ZEISS United States
09-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm hanging on to my 35/2, 85/1.4 and 100/2 ZKs to go with the FF whenever that arrives. In the meantime, my K-5 it is... It took me the last 5 years to get these, and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm sure that many people would appreciate it if Zeiss brought back the ZK line and kept them affordable...

09-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #5
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
I'm hanging on to my 35/2, 85/1.4 and 100/2 ZKs to go with the FF whenever that arrives. In the meantime, my K-5 it is... It took me the last 5 years to get these, and I have absolutely no regrets. I'm sure that many people would appreciate it if Zeiss brought back the ZK line and kept them affordable...
What a nice collection. If you ever need the cash I know where there would be an appreciative home for the 100/2 - truly a lovely lens

My 35/2 is basically my favourite, and go to lens for landscapes
09-25-2015, 03:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Noted... But that lens is dutifully employed for now... :-)
09-25-2015, 04:29 AM   #7
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subidoc Quote
Noted... But that lens is dutifully employed for now... :-)
As it should be...I am sure you really enjoy using it

09-25-2015, 04:47 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

If any Zeiss staff are reading, I have LBA, I am pre-occupied with image quality, I am happy with manual focus and I would love 85mm and 135mm Zeiss glass to put on the Pentax FF I can't wait to buy.
09-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Zeiss stopped making K mount lenses several years ago because nobody was buying them. At that time, FF digital cameras weren't mainstream so lack of a Pentax FF probably wasn't a factor in their decision. I think their response was nothing more than a polite way of saying "never say never". If Pentax cameras under Ricoh ownership becomes the strong player in the photography world it once was, then we might see it. Don't hold your breath.
09-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I would really like to see their new Milvus lens range available in Pentax K mount.

I like the fact that for Zeiss Milvus they have added WR.

Several of the Zeiss ZK lenses are now extremely hard to locate second hand, so it would be great to see Zeiss lenses available again for Pentax. As Zeiss state - it is going to depend on the take up of the new FF camera.

Thanks for sharing the information.

Ross
There are always a couple for sale here on the Marketplace but, as always, they also sell for hefty $$$.
09-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
As Zeiss state - it is going to depend on the take up of the new FF camera.
Ross
It is going to take more than that, I feel. I think it is fair to say the Pentax crowed is on the frugal side. Many looking for the best bang-for-the-buck. New Zeiss lenses are expensive. Many manual focus. I think only a small percentage of K-mount owners will be buying them.

But, on the other hand, a new breed of Ricoh owners might have deeper camera budgets. But the catch here is anyone really liking to use Zeiss and other 3rd party glass probably won't be looking at the K-mount in the first place.
09-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It is going to take more than that, I feel. I think it is fair to say the Pentax crowed is on the frugal side. Many looking for the best bang-for-the-buck. New Zeiss lenses are expensive. Many manual focus. I think only a small percentage of K-mount owners will be buying them.

But, on the other hand, a new breed of Ricoh owners might have deeper camera budgets. But the catch here is anyone really liking to use Zeiss and other 3rd party glass probably won't be looking at the K-mount in the first place.
I agree with what you are saying about Pentax owners, and the expense of Zeiss lenses.

I like Zeiss lenses (Leica also - I have a 90/2.8 converted with Leitax, and the Pentax Voigtlanders) and I also like playing around with old Pentax lenses.

Is it wrong to want both as a Pentax user

---------- Post added 26-09-15 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
There are always a couple for sale here on the Marketplace but, as always, they also sell for hefty $$$.
I keep track of the prices of the new Zeiss lenses (for Nikon mount) verses the Marketplace and EBay for mint condition used ZK Zeiss lenses. It would be fair to say they do not lose much value over time from the new price.

Which is as it should be given their quality.

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 09-25-2015 at 02:00 PM.