Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's impossible to answer this before testing the lens. It will probably be very good, but to what extend?
The Tamron has been tested, as have the Limited primes, i bet we could infer some.
For example, I bet the the zoom will have much less purple fringing than the limiteds, especially wide open.

09-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The Tamron has been tested, as have the Limited primes, i bet we could infer some.
For example, I bet the the zoom will have much less purple fringing than the limiteds, especially wide open.
Thank you! This is the kind of information I would like discussed here.
09-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's impossible to answer this before testing the lens.
Canon and Nikon users like it apparently, and it'll have Pentax coatings.
09-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I prefer primes and so I will probably use my FA 31/DA *55/FA 77/DFA 100 macro WR in a lot of situations
What? You are the King of the DA*16-50 zoom. Have you been shooting primes behind our backs?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
As for tests, I don't get paid for this, I don't do it when people ask me to do it, I do it when it amuses me.
Norm, your answers amuse me. (In a good way). My gut hurts from laughing so hard

---------- Post added 09-25-15 at 05:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Zooms are convenient but for myself I would want something with a bit more at the telephoto end, like the classic 28-105mm range or beyond
If that lens IQ comes in better than the DA 18-135 I can see myself using it as a quick vacation lens I throw in the bag when I don't have time to change my primes.

09-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

So why this Tamron/Pentax lens and not just allow Tamron to release it with Pentax mount at a lower price?

TAMRON | SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD [Model A007] Specifications
09-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
So why this Tamron/Pentax lens and not just allow Tamron to release it with Pentax mount at a lower price?

Keeping their friends close and their enemy closer. This collaboration stops Tamron from undercutting them. One less competitor.
09-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I'm sure that any profit lost due to the lower (?) margin of the Pentax version will be made up by the increased volume.

So how fast does this lens focus compared to the FA Limiteds? I guess that might be a screw drive vs. SDM question. But, the lens focusing mechanism has a gear ratio of some sort, I think.

09-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

so how much lower than $1,299 is $1,299?
09-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me put it this way: this lens has a snowballs chance in hell of replacing the FA31.
09-26-2015, 03:50 AM   #25
zan

Ok.
What about the pixie dust and size?
09-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Zooms are handy, no question. Primes are amazing. You have to exercise more shooting discipline if you leave home with a stack of pancakes instead of a zoom. That being said, 95% of the time I shoot anything it's with the HD DA21, HD DA40 or HD DA 70 Limited's. I hardly ever take a zoom unless it's for distance. Heck the 70 is awesome for American Football from the sidelines!

I suspect the original FA Limited's will receive an update with the new HD coatings soon. When they do - the rebadged Tamron although convenient will be hard pressed to deliver mythical pixie dust like the FA 31.

Once you get used to the shooting discipline, compact size, beautiful handling and sharpness of a Limited Prime; everything else seems almost pedestrian (with the exceptions being DA* lenses of course).
09-26-2015, 05:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Let me put it this way: this lens has a snowballs chance in hell of replacing the FA31.
Was it ever supposed to?
09-26-2015, 05:40 AM   #28
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...nor the two others.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Was it ever supposed to?
No, but it's still sort of what Boris asked in the OP
09-26-2015, 05:41 AM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Another zoom vs. prime thread.

GO here, pick your favourite lens, see what you picked.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302815-35mm-find-prime.html

If the prime isn't your favourite image, get a zoom. Nearly 80% of forum participants did not prefer the prime.
I picked the prime.. the rendering was unmistakeable yet subtle. That said, I don't mind the rendering of the 18-250 either.. even at 1:1. Although I'm shocked ANYONE picked the Tamron as it is so far out focus in that test.

That aside, I'm thinking the primes are a bit.. hyped in the minds of their owners. Modern zoom lenses are soooo much better than ones even 10 years ago.. that I think the differences are quite subtle when the lens is focusing correctly. That is the hard part since Pentax only supports one adjustment, one has to adjust either for one side or the other with a zoom.

However, with primes, the only place where I see significant improvement over quality zooms are in Macro primes.. less distortion and they tend to be sharp from their fastest ap onwards.
09-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #30
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That aside, I'm thinking the primes are a bit.. hyped in the minds of their owners. Modern zoom lenses are soooo much better than ones even 10 years ago.. that I think the differences are quite subtle when the lens is focusing correctly. That is the hard part since Pentax only supports one adjustment, one has to adjust either for one side or the other with a zoom.

However, with primes, the only place where I see significant improvement over quality zooms are in Macro primes.. less distortion and they tend to be sharp from their fastest ap onwards.
The reason I prefer primes isn't that they are "better" than zooms. It's because they are (usually) smaller and lighter, and often faster.

Sometimes I prefer zooms, though. At those times convenience makes them "better" than any prime can ever be, no matter its qualities.