Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Will the FA Limiteds be updated for the new Full Frame?

Hey Pentaxians! I'm just debating whether or not to buy an FA 31mm or wait a few months to see if Ricoh may come out with newer "hd" versions or something similar. I know it's a fantastic lens either way, just wanted to know people's thoughts.

Thank u

09-27-2015, 10:10 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been numerous threads on your question. The general discussion follows this outline:

-- Will there be updated FA Limiteds?

-- Why? They are perfect!

-- They are out of date because they were designed for film

-- (long and deep rat hole regarding film, digital sensors, and whether lenses get less good with age)

-- Updated coatings would be nice...

-- (long and deep rat hole regarding what such lenses would be called if they had the updated coatings and what other changes might be made and whether they would still be truly "limiteds")

-- We do not know

There you have it.

Steve
09-27-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There have been numerous threads on your question. The general discussion follows this outline:

-- (long and deep rat hole regarding film, digital sensors, and whether lenses get less good with age)

-- (long and deep rat hole regarding what such lenses would be called if they had the updated coatings and what other changes might be made and whether they would still be truly "limiteds")

-- We do not know

There you have it.

Steve
Mods, please close this thread. Nothing more needs to be said.
09-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Get the 31

Don't wait. The FA 31 is a superb lens. HD, meh. The FA 31's SMC/Ghostless coating is more than good enough.

Get one and use it. If something better gets produced (!?!) decide then, but who knows how long that will be. Is missing out worth the wait? I don't think so.

Last edited by Gray; 10-08-2015 at 10:55 PM.
09-28-2015, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in no hurry to replace my three amigos, but October will be spent evaluating all my lenses in detail on both film and APS-C. If I discover any of them suck I'll let you know.

More important will be developing a handful of primes which aren't currently covered - DFA* primes in the 20/2.8, 24/1.8, 85/1.4 and 135/2.0 ballpark would be a nice place to start.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-28-2015 at 12:09 AM.
09-28-2015, 01:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They will almost certainly be updated. Pentax executives have raised the issue of their FF lenses not being perfectly suited to digital, so I'd be very confident that the update will happen soon. The DA Limiteds were updated with no warning; expect the same.

For the D FA though, I wouldn't be surprised if they are DC or SDM as well.

My guess at least.
09-28-2015, 04:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If they update the FA31, I hope they get it right - that way everyone will be clamouring to buy the new version and the old will go out the door at fire sale prices... at which point I will be waiting with arms and wallet wide open.

If you buy it now, you may be in the happy position that SMC DA 15/4.0 owners were in when the buyers of the HD version reported the old one was better. Everything I've read strongly suggests that it is Pentax's finest lens (certainly the best in current production), which should mean it will be hard to improve on it in any meaningful fashion, except maybe to give it WR (and will that cost it the aperture ring? Deal breaker for me). If you're the sort who likes DC motors, maybe... but remember that you have to find space inside for all the bits, and with metallic construction, that pushes weight, size (diameter especially), complexity (breakability) and price way upwards. It won't be what it used to be, and people will long for the good old days.

09-28-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

if you find one in good condition for not too expensive, do not hesitate, it's already a great lens, it's very very hard to upgrade it (maybe HD coating, but that might change the magic color rendition)
09-28-2015, 05:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Mods, please close this thread. Nothing more needs to be said.
…but no doubt will be. So, anyway…

No-one here knows for certain if the FA Limiteds will be updated, except perhaps for those who have a NDA with Ricoh, but I suspect not in the medium term, because there's more work to be done in filling the gaps in the current FA/D-FA lineup.
09-28-2015, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The only problem I see using my two amigos (43, 77) on digital is the purple fringing. Not there on film at all. Not sure if a larger sensor would eliminate it or if they do it in the lens software etc but not sure how you would improve these lenses other than that.
09-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

-- We do not know

There you have it.

Steve

You forgot that somewhere, the discussion will be interspersed with the dated screw drive, an unreliable SDM, the need for all of them to hit f/1.4 at minimum, Sigma's glasses, and if we're lucky, Sony cameras with their wonderful(!) EVF!

Last edited by drypenn; 09-28-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: More inclusions!
09-28-2015, 06:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't worry about the HD vs. SMC coating update. There are many great image samples of the FA 31 taken on the Sony A7 series bodies and the results are great! Also, people are using lenses with much older coating technology and obtaining great images with then too. If you want the FA 31 and can afford it (used or new) then go for it. Use it, learn it, and love it. If Ricoh updates the coating then so be it. If Ricoh updates the optical formula then so be it again ... but it won't be the FA 31 Limited.
09-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

Quick shift would be the only improvement as they already have the ghost less coating. I guess that when they do update them they will lose the aperture ring and possibly add wr. I doubt they will get an internal focus motor. And I don't see this happening for several years either.
09-28-2015, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote

You forgot that somewhere, a discussion about the dated screw drive, an unreliable SDM, and the need for all of them to hit f/1.4 at minimum will be interspersed!
If they aren't F/0.8 I won't buy them!
09-28-2015, 06:30 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only lens they should have in mind for an updated release should be this:

An AW, Ring type SDM 50mm f/1.2 with current Pentax lens coatings would catch quite a bit of attention.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-28-2015 at 04:49 PM.