Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Panic in River City

So I went to change lenses on the K20 a few moments ago, switching from the FA77LTD to the DA* 300, and NO FOCUS! I switched back to the DA*200 and that worked fine, so it seems there is an SDM problem with the 300. Anyone else encounter this?

Also, anyone have any advice on how to get repairs on lenses from PTX?

I've never had a problem like this and the lens is new (I was never quite comforatble with IQ v. the 200 though) and still under waranty.........

Thanks, JK

06-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
So I went to change lenses on the K20 a few moments ago, switching from the FA77LTD to the DA* 300, and NO FOCUS! I switched back to the DA*200 and that worked fine, so it seems there is an SDM problem with the 300. Anyone else encounter this?

Also, anyone have any advice on how to get repairs on lenses from PTX?

I've never had a problem like this and the lens is new (I was never quite comforatble with IQ v. the 200 though) and still under waranty.........

Thanks, JK
Does it focus with the SDM turned off? They have both SDM and the good ol screw focus no? Also, just to be sure, fully charge the batteries and clean the battery contacts in the camera and on the battery.
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Checked that the AF switches (camera AND lens) were on Autofocus?
06-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, Zew. here's what happened. I tried a new battery and that didn't work, but given your
comment I put the 300 on my K100 and it functioned (non-SDM). I then switched it back to the K20 and now it works! I have no idea what happened, but will call PTX tomorrow and see if they have any ideas............

Thanks, JK

06-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Could it be that you took it of when it was powered on and that the USM did not reset? And when you put it on the K100 it magically reset to its starting position?
06-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that may be what happened; I was in a hurry to take a pic. When pressing the shutter button I could hear a faint click as if the clutch (?) was trying to engage but nothing happened........

Thanks again for the hint............
06-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
I think that may be what happened; I was in a hurry to take a pic. When pressing the shutter button I could hear a faint click as if the clutch (?) was trying to engage but nothing happened........

Thanks again for the hint............
Just for clarification, did you try to focus it fully back and forth manually? Maybe that would have been enough, if not, if it happens again, try it .