Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,681
I'm not sure who's saying that the 10-20mm lacks for sharpness, but my copy was very sharp. Photozone also came to the same conclusions when they tested the Nikon mount, stating:
"The center performance is exceptionally high at all tested focal lengths and aperture settings. At 10mm the border performance is easily on a very good level whereas the extreme corners show some softness at f/4. However, they catch up nicely by f/5.6 (very good). The lens is able to keep up the very good border performance at 14mm and 20mm. Quite impressive all-in-all."
Pictures are so much better than just words in this kind of discussion, so here are a few old pictures from my 10-20mm. The first couple were just test images, but they show good sharpness wide open at the extreme wide end. Please note that all of the pictures were shot handheld, and some of them were at very slow shutter speeds, so it is possible that a tripod would have made things even sharper. The first image, for example, was shot at 1/6 second. Click on any of the images for the full-size uncropped 100% pixel-peeping approved image.

I mostly used mine at 10mm, but I also included a shot at 20mm to show that it also worked well at the long end.















10-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 14,926
Edgar, I love carrying about three zooms - Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-50, Pentax 50-135. Your pics are a reminder why.
10-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member
psychdoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bham
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 949
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Can't decide between these two. I'm looking for a lens primarily for landscapes and streets, but also for occasional portraits.
Not sure how you would use the 10-20 for portraits but I rented this and the pentax 12-24. The 10-20 had terrible distortion between 10-12 and just did not feel good in the hands. The 12-24 is a very nice lens, has some issues with CA but I enjoyed using it and wound up buying it later. [I also have the sigma 17-50 and pentax 50-135 and these three zooms work great]
10-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,681
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Not sure how you would use the 10-20 for portraits but I rented this and the pentax 12-24. The 10-20 had terrible distortion between 10-12 and just did not feel good in the hands. The 12-24 is a very nice lens, has some issues with CA but I enjoyed using it and wound up buying it later.
Yeah, the 12-24 will have no problems with distortions in the 10-12 range!

But when you say it had distortions, what do you mean? Are you saying there was something wrong with your copy, or was it something that was just the nature of the 10-20mm?

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Edgar, I love carrying about three zooms - Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-50, Pentax 50-135. Your pics are a reminder why.
I also favor a three lens kit. When I had the 10-20mm, my three lenses were usually the Sigma 10-20mm, the 30mm 1.4, and the 50-150mm 2.8. More recently, my three lens kit was the Sigma 8-16mm, 30mm 1.4, and 85mm 1.4.

But now that I'm wanting to go lighter, I picked up a Panasonic GX7 and have been carrying around the 20mm 1.7 and 75mm 1.8, with the 9mm fisheye body-cap lens for wide end. All three of those lenses could fit inside my Sigma 85mm!

I'm still trying to decide between the Olympus 9-18mm (smaller/less expensive) and the Panasonic 7-14mm f4 (larger/more expensive/best image quality) for my UWA.


Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 10-07-2015 at 05:23 PM.
10-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #20
Senior Member
Electric Eye's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 238
QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Hi all

Can't decide between these two. I'm looking for a lens primarily for landscapes and streets, but also for occasional portraits.
I've been set on the 10-20 for some time as I'm currently using the 18-55 kit lens on my second camera (k-01) which would also be the main body for this lens.
But then I saw some shots done with the 17-50 by a fellow member here on the board and was impressed by the sharpness which looks better than on the 10-20. Plus it's faster at 2.8.

Considering my current 18-55 kit, am I going to get perceivable improvement in the width with the 17-50? Or should I stick to the 10-20 for dramatic wide panoramas?

Thanx


...I have the original 10-20mm Siggy and I really like it,but I really consider it sort of a special effects lens because of the distortion it produces at close proximity,not horrible for landscapes but it is a bit soft imho,so for the amount of time it sits in the case I would go for the 17-50mm as it can wear many hats and do it in low light to boot.Buy both if you have the cash 💰

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 08:43 AM ----------

...the 10-20mm is definitely not for close up portraits unless your going for the funhouse mirror look!...lol
10-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,681
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
the 10-20mm is definitely not for close up portraits unless your going for the funhouse mirror look!...lol
Yeah, distortion is the inevitable trade off for such a wide angle. On non-human subjects it usually is not a big deal, or can even be desirable, but for people it can be very weird. But if you keep your human subjects near the center of the frame at the extreme wide angle, it can be okay.
10-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 132
Depending on which version of the 10-20 you're talking about you might want to make a decision soon: the older (and slower, but sharper) version is now discontinued and stores are selling off their last stocks of it.

10-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 2,023
We really need to clarify which sigma 10-20mm everyone is posting about. As far as I know, there is now only one: the f3.5. But there may be copies of the old 4-5.6 version still available from some sources, so if you want a new one, you'd need to find one to buy today, not tomorrow.
10-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,681
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
We really need to clarify which sigma 10-20mm everyone is posting about. As far as I know, there is now only one: the f3.5. But there may be copies of the old 4-5.6 version still available from some sources, so if you want a new one, you'd need to find one to buy today, not tomorrow.
Yeah, I had the old version since the newer f/3.5 version seemed to get mixed reviews. And as far as availability, there's always the used market.
10-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma USA
Posts: 2,023
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yeah, I had the old version since the newer f/3.5 version seemed to get mixed reviews. And as far as availability, there's always the used market.
It seems that there have been an above average number of reports of decentering for at least the older version of the 10-20, so it would be important to buy from a source (new or used) that will readily accept returns.
10-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #26
Veteran Member
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,681
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It seems that there have been an above average number of reports of decentering for at least the older version of the 10-20, so it would be important to buy from a source (new or used) that will readily accept returns.
eBay allows buyers to return a used lens even when there's nothing wrong with it.
10-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member
psychdoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bham
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 949
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yeah, the 12-24 will have no problems with distortions in the 10-12 range!

But when you say it had distortions, what do you mean? Are you saying there was something wrong with your copy, or was it something that was just the nature of the 10-20mm?[COLOR="Silver"]
Maybe just the nature of really wide angle. Wider than 12 was not to my liking. There was no point [for me] if I was going to only use it starting at 12. Not sure if wider than 12 from another manufacturer would have made a difference as I have not shot with any other or in full frame.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
10-20mm, 30mm, 85mm, distortions, k-mount, kit, landscapes, lens, lenses, panasonic, pentax, pentax lens, portraits, sigma, slr lens, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: K-5, Sigma 50-150/2.8, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS and extras JohsonChou Sold Items 9 10-28-2014 06:53 PM
weddings sigma 17-50 vs sigma 10-20 + DA35 nicoprod Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 07-07-2012 09:13 PM
Pentax 10-17 or Sigma 10-20 ? kheldour Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 05-11-2011 07:10 AM
Pentax 10-17 or Sigma 10-20? jianshi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 03-27-2008 07:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top