Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,305
Tamron 15-30 keeps up with Nikkor 14-24

DxO just release a comparison of the Tamron 15-30mm vs Nikkor 14-24mm on a Nikon D810
I'm posting here just to say that if the Pentax FF is similar in quality to the D810 (and it will likely be better) AND if the Tamron 15-30mm becomes available for the Pentax K mount, that would be a compelling combination to encourage me to add Pentax FF to my existing Pentax K-3. Things are starting to look good for Pentax.

Michael

10-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,873
If Pentax sells a Tamron that is more expensive than the same lens on Nikon, it... is not a compelling reason to choose Pentax over Nikon.

Better than no Tamron (or Pentax) lens at all, of course, but still not a net plus.
10-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,991
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If Pentax sells a Tamron that is more expensive than the same lens on Nikon, it... is not a compelling reason to choose Pentax over Nikon.
But isn't the 24-70 priced not much different than the Tamron badged one? I think something like $1,299 if I remember right. If they do the same with the 15-30.......... Which looks like about $1,199 even $1,299 on the Pentax badge would not be too bad.
10-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,228
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
if the Tamron 15-30mm becomes available for the Pentax K mount
Kenneth Sporheim has made a few comments raving about this lens, if the new Pentax 24-70 is any indication, this might be another tweaked rebadge. I believe his experience with the Tamron is on Nikon bodies.

10-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 38
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If Pentax sells a Tamron that is more expensive than the same lens on Nikon, it... is not a compelling reason to choose Pentax over Nikon.

Better than no Tamron (or Pentax) lens at all, of course, but still not a net plus.
The Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is $2000, the Tamron is $1200 (nikon version).
10-06-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mwilky55's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southeastern Connecticut
Photos: Albums
Posts: 816
QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
The Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is $2000, the Tamron is $1200 (nikon version).
We'll have to wait and see, but I have noticed that Tamron for Pentax tends to sell at a discount to the Canikon versions, at least I believe that's true for the 70-200 on the B&H site. A 15-30 for full frame would be pretty tempting.
10-07-2015, 02:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member
redcat's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Paris
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,939
I believe Pentax will adopt the Tamron 15-30 ^^ it will strengthen the FF system !

10-07-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
ddamski's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fribourg , Switzerland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 163
this lens would be my first choice for the FF, perfect for landscape! .. i wonder how it would compete with the FA 31mm :-)
10-07-2015, 04:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,381
QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
i wonder how it would compete with the FA 31mm :-)
It's a bit like asking how a P-51 Mustang would compete with a Spitfire - the P-51 has the longer range, the higher top speed, a not-unsatisfactory armament and a proven battle record, yet the fighting reputation of the Spitfire (an older design by five years, at a time where that mattered a lot) is justifiably legendary. Each has its place in the pantheon of air enthusiasts' favourite fighters, and no enemy aircraft particularly wanted either on its tail.

The Tammy, FWIW, leaves off where the FA31 picks up (30 vs 31mm, which is a trifling distance) but is a bit over a stop slower. This makes a difference both in low-light performance and in the fact that at any f-stop the two have in common, the FA31 will be slightly further stopped down and therefore possibly at an advantage (at least until diffraction effects start setting in).
10-07-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 59
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
DxO just release a comparison of the Tamron 15-30mm vs Nikkor 14-24mm on a Nikon D810
I'm posting here just to say that if the Pentax FF is similar in quality to the D810 (and it will likely be better) AND if the Tamron 15-30mm becomes available for the Pentax K mount, that would be a compelling combination to encourage me to add Pentax FF to my existing Pentax K-3. Things are starting to look good for Pentax.

Michael
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
10-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,873
QuoteOriginally posted by sefesoft Quote
The Nikkor 14-24 2.8 is $2000, the Tamron is $1200 (nikon version).
Sincere and friendly question - why do you (seem to) compare the Pentax/Tamron lens to the Nikon lens, rather than the Tamron lens in Nikon mount?
10-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,451
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It's a bit like asking how a P-51 Mustang would compete with a Spitfire - the P-51 has the longer range, the higher top speed, a not-unsatisfactory armament and a proven battle record, yet the fighting reputation of the Spitfire (an older design by five years, at a time where that mattered a lot) is justifiably legendary. Each has its place in the pantheon of air enthusiasts' favourite fighters, and no enemy aircraft particularly wanted either on its tail.

The Tammy, FWIW, leaves off where the FA31 picks up (30 vs 31mm, which is a trifling distance) but is a bit over a stop slower. This makes a difference both in low-light performance and in the fact that at any f-stop the two have in common, the FA31 will be slightly further stopped down and therefore possibly at an advantage (at least until diffraction effects start setting in).
Exactly, without this lens, I'm not sure I even want the Pentax FF. it will be a landscape camera for me, and the lens will replace my Sigma 8-16. No replace meant for the 8-16, no buy. Simple as that for me.
10-07-2015, 10:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 27,652
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Sincere and friendly question - why do you (seem to) compare the Pentax/Tamron lens to the Nikon lens, rather than the Tamron lens in Nikon mount?
I think the question is how much difference there is between the Tamron version and the Pentax version of the lens. With the 14-70, it sounds like it is supposed to use Pentax coatings and may have some adjustment of optics.

Either way, this lens fills a gap in the line up for a reasonable price and I doubt the Tamron will be released, at least in initially in a K mount. If you are buying a k mount camera rather than an f mount camera, you probably will have the option of this lens and maybe a Sigma ultra wide (assuming they make one in the k mount).

I, personally, am interested in k mount cameras specifically because I can use lenses like my DA 40 limited and FA limiteds without an adapter. I still will need a wide-ish angle lens and having options that won't break the bank will be nice (I am not really in the market for a Nikon 14-24 f2.8, as stellar as it might be).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15-30mm, af-s, d810, ff, k-mount, nikkor, nikon, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron, usd, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unscientific Comparison HD DA 15 Ltd vs Tamron 10-24 ramseybuckeye Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 01-02-2015 09:05 AM
DA 12-24 vs DA 15 vs Samyang 14? someguy42 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 31 12-10-2013 04:50 AM
Choosing the DA 14 instead of DA 15 or DA 12-24 - am I crazy? sTi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 01-22-2013 08:55 AM
12-24 vs 21 ltd vs sigma 15-30 gokenin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-22-2008 05:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top