Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
DAP

50mm takumar

Congrats on the Takumar! - one of the few pentax bargains left

The Takumars are a bit slower to use - but not that bad when you get used to it. IMHO the takumars are the epitome of Pentax build quality - once you use one all the new AF lenses will feel like crap - no joking. (I have a 77ltd and for all the hub-bub about the "feel" of this lens it gets totally outclassed by even the most pedestrian Takumar offerings - takes great pictures though). As far as the real world difference between the various f1.2, f1.4, and f1.7 offerings - not much - you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if presented with a final print.

Have fun!

02-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JJJPhoto Quote
I've used 50mm f/1.4 lenses from several different manufacturers on several different cameras (film and digital) and I don't think there's a better 50mm f/1.4 lens than the family of Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 lenses. The FA 50mm f/1.4 is my go-to lens for available light work.
Eh? I have used 50/1.4 from several different manufacturers on several different cameras and I fail to find one lens, or one brand, that is better than the other ones in all aspects.
I think everybody agrees about the Pentax and Takumar 50mm lenses being very good. Isn't that enough?
For fast work the FA50/1.4 has the advantage of AF and auto aperture. After that the field is open in my opinion.

regards,

Last edited by Jonas B; 02-08-2007 at 10:46 AM.
02-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
most of my lenses are fully manual. The kit lense and the 28-105 tamron are fully auto, then there are a couple auto aperature ones, but the rest are all manual, the 28mm, the 135mm, the 35-70mm.
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Eh? I have used 50/1.4 from several different manufacturers on several different cameras and I fail to find one lens, or one brand, that is better than the other ones in all aspects.
I think everybody agrees about the Pentax and Takumar 50mm lenses being very good. Isn't that enough?
For fast work the FA50/1.4 has the advantage of AF and auto aperture. After that the field is open in my opinion.

regards,
I am not a brand loyalist or a "fanboy" as the term is commonly used. I can find good things or bad things to say about ALL the equipment from various manufacturers I've used. In fact, in terms of overall operating speed I'd say that Pentax DSLRs are noticeably slower than the Nikon or Canon DSLRs I've used over the past 4-5 years. I can also honestly say that in my experience I have found the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 lenses to be the best performers.

I fail to find why you think it's out of place for me to voice that opinion of the FA 50mm f/1.4 in a thread talking about the 50mm f/1.4.

In any case, my point was if the person who started this thread is trying to decide between a Pentax 50 f/1.4 and a f/1.7 I'd take the f/1.4 in a heartbeat.

02-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I am not a brand loyalist or a "fanboy" as the term is commonly used. I can find good things or bad things to say about ALL the equipment from various manufacturers I've used.
I didn't mention the word fanboy or anything similar. From reading your earlier posts I never got the idea that you should be a brand loyalist. I reacted reading your declaration below:

I've used 50mm f/1.4 lenses from several different manufacturers on several different cameras (film and digital) and I don't think there's a better 50mm f/1.4 lens than the family of Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 lenses.
Maybe I read too much into it. To my understanding you said the Pentax 50/1.4 is the best there is. This is a very general thing to say in my opinion.

No biggie, it's just that I'm kind of allergic to this sort of general statements that contains all and nothing in one single sentence.

I'm sorry if you took it personal as that was far from my intention. I would like to see this forum to be an open minded community and I hope we can avoid the traps, for example getting so content with the Pentax lenses that we suddenly all know there are no others that are "as good".

regards,
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Way to go! Congrats, really!
It's a different way to handle the lens and camera combo making for another way to approach the process of capturing a picture. With some practise it works surprisingly fast.
If you ordered an original Pentax adapter there is a way to permanently attach it to the lens making it possible to switch the lens the same way as you do with the K-mount lenses.

No, the opposite is true. The adaptor has a little widget in it that makes it stay on the camera body and then you can screw lenses on and off without the mount coming loose. To get the adaptor off the body, you need first to remove the lens, flick a little sprung lever with your finger-nail or a small tool, and this will release the adaptor. Not so useful as you might have thought.

Plus, after having auto aperture, stopping down manually for anything other than landscape work on a tripod is a total pain in the round soft place. The SMC Pentax K-mount lenses are mostly every bit as good as the original Takumar SMC lenses. I have used both.
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
No, the opposite is true. The adaptor has a little widget in it that makes it stay on the camera body and then you can screw lenses on and off without the mount coming loose. To get the adaptor off the body, you need first to remove the lens, flick a little sprung lever with your finger-nail or a small tool, and this will release the adaptor. Not so useful as you might have thought.
Yes and no. You are describing the ordinary way to do it. That's how it is supposed to work and probably the way most people do it.

I mentioned an alternative way to handle screwmounts: By removing the latch from the genuine Pentax Asahi adapter and securely attaching the adapter to the lens you can handle it the same way as if it was a K-mount lens. Care should be taken not to mess it up (and get the lens permanently attached to the camera...) but it is fully possible. I have one M42 lens only now, the Jupiter-9, and that's the way I use it. Conveniant in my opinion.

Plus, after having auto aperture, stopping down manually for anything other than landscape work on a tripod is a total pain in the round soft place.
That surely depends on your shooting style. I hope the original poster have considered this. From his posts I get the impression he knows about manual lenses.
For the fastest and most conveniant handling the FA50/1.4 is the way to go as allready mentioned. An even better option in this regard might be to wait and see what the upcoming DA55/xx will be like. I hope it will be a both fast and good lens with all the modern features like in lens focusing motor and full time manual override.

The SMC Pentax K-mount lenses are mostly every bit as good as the original Takumar SMC lenses. I have used both.
I agree. For the 50mm lenses, however, there are some differences and for anyone not minding the stopped down metering/handling the Takumar lenses can be a great option thanks to their rendering. I think Sean [carpents] has a nice gallery at pbase showing examples of this.

regards,

02-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I said, fully manual lenses are not a problem, hence I went with teh m42. Auto is nice and all but I have no preference really. Thanks for the help guys and I'll let you all know when the lens comes in......