Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Tokina AT-X 50-250 F4-5.6 ?

Hello to all,
I bought the Tokina Zoom.When i Mount it to K-5iis, the Camera asks for input focuse number.What is the right number i will chose ?. 50 or 250.
thank you,
steve

10-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You will have a pick an average middle figure based around the zoom range you expect to use. If you're using the whole zoom range of the lens, then no single figure will do ... You might want to set 200 for shots at the longer half or so, and 100 at the shorter end. These averages should be near enough for good shake reduction.

The lens can't communicate the focal length info to the camera, so it will just fix on the figure you first set. I think this is remembered even when switching off the camera, but you get a chance to change it each time you switch on again .... So when you need a different zoom range then switch off and on again. There may be a custom menu item also to change the focal length figure, if you prefer not to switch off the camera each time.
10-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
You will have a pick an average middle figure based around the zoom range you expect to use. If you're using the whole zoom range of the lens, then no single figure will do ... You might want to set 200 for shots at the longer half or so, and 100 at the shorter end. These averages should be near enough for good shake reduction.

The lens can't communicate the focal length info to the camera, so it will just fix on the figure you first set. I think this is remembered even when switching off the camera, but you get a chance to change it each time you switch on again .... So when you need a different zoom range then switch off and on again. There may be a custom menu item also to change the focal length figure, if you prefer not to switch off the camera each time.
Thanks mcgregni for your help !. now i can understand .
Thanks,
steve
10-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

A couple of things:

1) Either pick a number in the middle, as suggested OR pick a length close to where you think you'll be shooting. If you're photographing birds or sports from the sideline, 200 or 250, but if you're shooting in the 50-80 range, you're better off picking a focal length closer to that. What you pick sets the amount of shake reduction on the sensor. Too much or too little (with a decent margin of error) could cause some issues with your image clarity.

2) Congrats on this lens! I had one and was amazed at the quality of images I got. It's an astonishing bargain. Mine had a little aperture stickiness and I've seen a few for sale that said the same, so that could be an issue, but the image quality and handling for the price is remarkable. The macro is also fantastic, though the operations for it take a little while to get used to. Get a hood for it if you don't have one and enjoy those photos!

10-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
A couple of things:

1) Either pick a number in the middle, as suggested OR pick a length close to where you think you'll be shooting. If you're photographing birds or sports from the sideline, 200 or 250, but if you're shooting in the 50-80 range, you're better off picking a focal length closer to that. What you pick sets the amount of shake reduction on the sensor. Too much or too little (with a decent margin of error) could cause some issues with your image clarity.

2) Congrats on this lens! I had one and was amazed at the quality of images I got. It's an astonishing bargain. Mine had a little aperture stickiness and I've seen a few for sale that said the same, so that could be an issue, but the image quality and handling for the price is remarkable. The macro is also fantastic, though the operations for it take a little while to get used to. Get a hood for it if you don't have one and enjoy those photos!
Thanks troika for your help,
I will try the Tokina len out during this weekend . This is my first Manual Zoom.It may be difficult to focus at long end !!!
steve
10-09-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Learn to use "Catch in Focus". It's magic! It's one of the very special things about Pentax dSLRs compared to the competition. Legacy Pentax primes and some good 3rd party lenses (Tokina AT-X is my personal favorite) can be really good bargains for pro-quality optics. I use them with Catch In Focus a lot and it's making some of my Canon/Nikon friends reconsider their platform.

I take a lot of Catch in Focus pictures, including sports, animals and kids running around and I think it can be as reliable as a good autofocus lens. He's an example. I took this with a 55/1.8 manual focus prime. He wasn't posing for me!

---------- Post added 10-09-15 at 09:50 AM ----------

I took this one on the long end of my Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 lens using Catch In Focus

And this one last weekend from 400ft away at 300mm

Last edited by troika; 10-09-2015 at 09:53 AM.
10-09-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Wow perfect photo !!!.This is new too me, i will have to search how to use the K-5iis for Catch in focus with Manual lens !!.
I will do some reading on how to set up on the camera and how to use it.It is a great for me because i am old and my eyes are not that good !!!
Thank you Troika for all the help !!
steve

10-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yeah, search here or in the manual. There are a few menu toggles and once you have it set up, you never have to do it again, so I don't have to do it again.

But, basically, you mount a manual focus lens, but set the camera body for auto-focus. Hold down the shutter release and focus on your subject. It will fire when it finds focus. Just like AF, but you physically turn the focus ring. Or, like I did with the bike rider, I focused on the top of the hill, then moved pointed the camera above it and pressed and held the shutter release. Because it's not focused what it's pointing at (the trees in the background) nothing happens. I kept holding it and when the guy on the bike flew through the space I was focused on, the camera fired at just the right time.

Not bad for a $40 lens and a hack for a photographer!

It's a great feature and you'll get a lot more use out of this lens.
10-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yeah, search here or in the manual. There are a few menu toggles and once you have it set up, you never have to do it again, so I don't have to do it again.

But, basically, you mount a manual focus lens, but set the camera body for auto-focus. Hold down the shutter release and focus on your subject. It will fire when it finds focus. Just like AF, but you physically turn the focus ring. Or, like I did with the bike rider, I focused on the top of the hill, then moved pointed the camera above it and pressed and held the shutter release. Because it's not focused what it's pointing at (the trees in the background) nothing happens. I kept holding it and when the guy on the bike flew through the space I was focused on, the camera fired at just the right time.

Not bad for a $40 lens and a hack for a photographer!

It's a great feature and you'll get a lot more use out of this lens.
Thanks Troika, that is much help !.Do i need go in manual to set up in the K -5ii before i can use Catch in Focus ?.
thanks,
steve
10-09-2015, 11:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Here you go:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/107864-h...s-feature.html

These instructions are for a K7, but it will be the same or close. Using it is a snap, there's just a little one time setup and I did it so long ago, I'd have to go back to instructions to do it again.
10-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
Here you go:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/107864-h...s-feature.html

These instructions are for a K7, but it will be the same or close. Using it is a snap, there's just a little one time setup and I did it so long ago, I'd have to go back to instructions to do it again.
Thanks Troika,
steve
10-09-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I predict that you will catch yourself giggling at the pictures that you're able to capture with this lens and this feature. Be sure to share some with us!