Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
35 Limited mounting question

I picked up a used 35 Limited from Adorama (condition V, but perfect optically, and nearly perfect cosmetically) and when I mount it, it is difficult to turn the last few degrees to lock it in. It seems to function correctly, it just takes more effort to mount than any of my other lenses.

Any thoughts?

10-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brand new lenses are usually a little more difficult to mount, but after a bit of use they "ease up" imo. What I suggest is you make sure both the camera and lens mount are nice and clean, free of damage or obstructions or anything.
But the lens should still click into place as you mount it, and AF should function normally, and the camera should recognize the lens ID (if it does this, you will have things like CA correction, distortion correction available to select in the Info menu)
That's a good lens, so good luck
10-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, this is the third time I've bought it! I just can't quit it.

Everything is clean, I just haven't had this issue with any other lens. I'll put it through its paces and make sure it performs correctly.
10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Yeah, this is the third time I've bought it! I just can't quit it.
THREE times? What's happening here? Two losses/breakages? Is one an upgrade from SMC to HD?

10-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bought twice, sold twice, and reconsidered twice.

Yeah.
10-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You won't be doing that again, will you? Third time's the charm, I should think.
10-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll be buried with this one.

Unless I go FF.

10-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The mounting might go more smoothly if you hold down the lens release button until the lens is fully mounted, then release the button and wiggle the lens ever so slightly to ensure the AF driveshaft gets engaged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-15-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just wanted to follow up on this and give some props to Adorama. The lens really seems to have loosened up and seems to be mounting now about the same as any other lens. I can only conclude that this lens was barely used by its previous owner, and just needed to be mounted/unmounted a few times to wear in a little. This lens was rated V by Adorama's used department (their lowest rating apart from damaged/unusable condition), and priced at only $279. There are only the faintest cosmetic imperfections on the body, and the glass is perfect.

Bottom line is order V-rated lenses with confidence, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
10-15-2015, 07:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
Bottom line is order V-rated lenses with confidence, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for letting us know!

If you've got an eye for it and the pictures supplied are right, lenses which are really badly scratched up externally can be an absolute bargain, whether on E-bay or wherever. Somewhere like Adorama, of course, has a lot more to lose by passing dodgy optics than an anonymous seller online; rating a not-quite-externally-perfect lens lower than it functionally is can be a good way to avoid disappointment/rage/retaliation-by-bad-feedback. Also it can provoke a mindset of "Wow, if this is how good their almost-junk stuff is, imagine how good it must be new. Next time, I'll save my pennies for the best!"