Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anybody know anything about Pentax serial numbers?

So I just bought a 12-24 SMC Pentax new from B&H and the SN is 4374905. It is new and pristine and the box says Ricoh on it so it can't be that old of a stock. Yet the SN database is up to 64xxxxx.

So I guess that Ricoh's SN's are not sequential? Any enlightenment? Thanks.

10-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The numbers do jump around some, also backwards.
10-09-2015, 01:35 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Anybody know anything about Pentax serial numbers?
No one knows anything about Pentax serial numbers. including Pentax. Rumor has it that the numbers are derived from arcane numerology combined with a seeded random number generated from the frequency of radio interference caused by meteorites hitting the atmosphere.
10-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Rumor has it that the numbers are derived from arcane numerology combined with a seeded random number generated from the frequency of radio interference caused by meteorites hitting the atmosphere.
That is what I heard as well, though the seed numbers are only determined for auspicious days.

Steve

10-09-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is what I heard as well, though the seed numbers are only determined for auspicious days.

Steve
I thought they were partly based on the Mayan calendar.
10-10-2015, 12:20 AM   #6

They probably use the lucky numbers you find in fortune cookies.

On my DA 18-55mm the serial number was on a crappy plastic sticker. It started coming off on one end from rubbing around in the lens compartment of a camera bag. I thought it was just some of the protective film that are put on products to keep parts from getting scratched. This film is meant to be removed so I tore it off and tossed it without looking at it. Much to my surprise later that there was no longer a serial number. I guess they can't be bothered to etch or emboss serial numbers on "kit" lenses.
10-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, yeah -- I'd be willing to guarantee the following -- fer sure:

- Lens with sequential 'serial numbers' PROBABLY came off SOMEBODY'S manufacturing line with an identical optical design and MAY even have identical coatings and finish. Maybe!

- That the numbers do not positively indicate the actual NUMBER of lenses produced nor WHEN or WHERE they were manufactured.

- That FUTURE failure rates, modes or longevity CANNOT be deduced from SN's.

- That there is, or was, a dedicated company functionary that knows the 'TRUTH' about each and every lens by serial number (including its gender and actual hair color) but that person is either long retired or deceased and communicated solely in ancient Sanskrit with deaf and blind minions - or both. All anyone remembers about him today was that he possessed the only confirmed unicorn horn known to mankind.

Anything else is liable to be pure speculation or wishful thinking on the part of someone trying to buy or sell a verrry rare, 2nd generation, SMC 50mm F/1:2 lens discovered last weekend at a rural garage sale somewhere in Kansas, USA.

Unfortunately there's never been a comprehensive serial number identification scheme adopted solely for the future convenience of antiquity collectors.

10-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
They probably use the lucky numbers you find in fortune cookies.

On my DA 18-55mm the serial number was on a crappy plastic sticker. It started coming off on one end from rubbing around in the lens compartment of a camera bag. I thought it was just some of the protective film that are put on products to keep parts from getting scratched. This film is meant to be removed so I tore it off and tossed it without looking at it. Much to my surprise later that there was no longer a serial number. I guess they can't be bothered to etch or emboss serial numbers on "kit" lenses.
On my 18-55WR, the serial # looks like it may well be on a stiff plastic strip; however, it's completely recessed into the body, so it cannot catch on anything to remove it. Mine is put in/out of a camera case many, many times; both on/off the body. IThe serial # still looks brand new. I'd certainly check anything I'd remove, before removing it & tossing it!
10-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #9

The serial number sticker was slightly recessed on the DA 18-55mm but it was no thicker than the plastic on a ziplock sandwich bag. The lens is often in a cubbyhole in my camera bag which can be very tight depending on what equipment is stuffed into the other compartments. So the sticker would often rub against the dividers in the bag when taking it in or out. It also slides down into one of these cubbyholes when mounted on the camera. The only stickers on my film era manual focus lenses would be the JCII and I never had a problem of these coming off. These I normally would remove after they got worn out from using the lens. Or when the adhesive dried out and they fell off on there own.

Looking at the sticker it had all the appearance that the serial number was engraved into the body and it was covered by a thin protective film. Again no thicker than sandwich bag plastic, the same sort of film that was on the shiny parts of my Brother label printer. If it is that easy to obscure the serial number why even bother? All my film era manual focus lenses have engraved or stamped serial numbers.
10-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If it is that easy to obscure the serial number why even bother?
Are you presuming that an SN is provided and intended for your service? And that the manufacturer's use for is for any more than inventory, QA auditing and repair service documentation? If you can't prove the SN how is the manufacturer dis-accommodated?

Considering the prevalence of counterfeiting schemes, once the product enters the wholesale distribution chain, an SN becomes an expensive liability for the manufacturer . . . excepting any good will generated by honoring it of course.

Of course, the value and faith you choose to place on it is considerably different.

Engraving one-off, unique stuff like SN's in metal (or engraving or molding it in plastic for that matter) is an expensive manufacturing step today.