Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
In a world where they replace full frame focal lengths with focal lengths that give an equivalent field of view on their crop cameras.
Same reason the 50-135/2.8 is just fine taking the job the 70-200/2.8 did on a film camera.
Same reason the 16-50/2.8 does the same job a 28-70/2.8 on a film camera did.
And so on.

Let me guess, you are being critical/funny again? ;P
No, the original post specifically mentioned lenses in the 85mm range (77/1.8, 70/2.4), and asked specifically for an inexpensive 85/1.8, which led me to believe he was discussing that range of focal lengths, not lenses in the 50-55mm range.

06-23-2008, 07:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Why go new when you can use all the old equipment that a lot of the Nikon and Canon users can't.

I have a very beautiful Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9 and it takes some amazing images ... all metal ... all glass ... lovely construction ... awesome lens ... and affordable too when compared to newer 85mm's
I've tried an SMC-A 50mm f/1.7, M 50mm f/2, and a Takumar 135mm f/2.5. Each of those lenses were fun to play with in their own way, and they were all certainly well made, but they still don't fill the void of modern autofocus primes for me. Luckily it looks like Pentax is working on a 30mm SDM and obviously the 55mm SDM is almost out. Hopefully they'll keep the price down and add an 85mm and a 135mm to go with them and I think that will fill the needs of most people.
06-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do people really understand what they want?

I guess everyone has the same question. They are asking for a revision to the 85mm f1.8 but they are now using a DSLR.

Do people know they are asking for poddible a different lens now than previously? In reading all the posts I am not so sure.

There are two camps those asking for an 85mm (not sure why) and those asking for a protrait lens for DSLRs.

from the FOV point of view, the old 85mm would be replaced today by about 55mm and therefore using a 50mm F1.4 would be pretty close. and some people have answered that way.

Me, I want a fast 85, as it is the right focal length for some things I do, and I am actually looking for the SMC-85mmF1.8. AF is not as important. I have looked a little at the 77, but like others have said, it is just too expensive
06-23-2008, 07:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess everyone has the same question. They are asking for a revision to the 85mm f1.8 but they are now using a DSLR.
Some have said they like to shoot portraits at 135mm, which would be close to 85mm in APS-C land, so that's one camp. Then there are people like me that don't believe for a minute that Pentax will still be using APS-C sensors in their K10/K20 range 5 years from now and just want to buy lenses that will not only be useful to me now, but will also be useful once the inevitable full frame cameras drop. Then I suppose there are those with bad cases of LBA who just want all the primes they can get

06-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Some have said they like to shoot portraits at 135mm, which would be close to 85mm in APS-C land, so that's one camp. Then there are people like me that don't believe for a minute that Pentax will still be using APS-C sensors in their K10/K20 range 5 years from now and just want to buy lenses that will not only be useful to me now, but will also be useful once the inevitable full frame cameras drop. Then I suppose there are those with bad cases of LBA who just want all the primes they can get
Actually I like my old 105mm F2.8 as a portrait lens even on a DSLR with the crop factor. You need a big studio or outdoor, but it gives very nice results.

I also agree that many people believe a pentax full frame is coming at some point, and while I have not bought lenses solely for that reason, of my 14 lenses I currently own, only the sigma 10-20 is not full frame. Just worked out that way.
06-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was in the same boat. What would be nice is something with the same quality and performance and value as the FA 35/2, but at 85mm. I was unable to find older Pentax glass and finally compromised and bought the Russian Jupiter-9 85/2. It is sort of cumbersome to use and has its quirks, but I am pretty happy with the results.

Steve
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I was amazed how the canon 85/1.2 looks.. Wow. I wish pentax had such a lens
There is the A*85mm f/1.4.
Not quite as impressive as the Canon, but it is the better lens....

06-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

While we're waiting for an AF 85mm from Pentax, there's also the relatively
affordable M 85 f/2. It gets a rep as a 'mediocre' Pentax 85mm, but there is nothing
mediocre about this lens. Its one of the best Pentax glass I've ever
shot through.

It does have one drawback - PF (or more accurately, "Blue Fringing",) but it's
exceptionally sharp even wide open and a blast to use. B&H usually has a couple
used ones available, as does Adorama and sometimes KEH.

"The Sneeze", a "portrait" (taken wide open)

06-23-2008, 01:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Gotta love the old quality glass ... if I am after an AF in this range ... I actually use my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro ... OKay not as fast as the others ... but it does produce nice results though ... even though it did cost in the vicinity of $600US (too much really) ... it was worth every penny for what it does.

But for now ... I am finding 85mm on APS-C a very nice focal length indeed.

I have my fast 50 though for indoor work where I do need wider though.
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Really? I'd like to know in why.
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
"The Sneeze", a "portrait" (taken wide open)
Hilarious shot, J., worthy of The Moment title HCB would have bestowed upon it, I'm sure.

Have you received your Jupiter-9 yet? If you started a thread, please point me there as I've missed it.
06-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Of course, its been hashed out a lot in here over time, but while the cropped sensor only captures the equivalent FoV of an 85mm lens at 58mm, it still doesn't give the equivalent magnification. If you don't care about that, get a 50. If you actually want the depth of field you'll get from the 85 (and its inherent subject/background seperation sweet spot) you still need an 85.

I ordered the Zeiss ZK T*85/1.4. In fact, I'm very impatiently awaiting the phone to ring any day here. At todays used prices for 85's, this Zeiss is actually competitively priced. And to derail the inevitable "it scored lower than the A*85/1.4 in an MTF chart, wide open at close range" - I know, I read that too. After I saw the Nokton 'suffer' similarly (I love the dreamy effect at this aperture with the Nokton), I was compelled to buy the Zeiss 85 because of this feature

Anyway, to tie this in, its not a Pentax, its not 'cheap' nor auto-focus, but it is competitvely priced for an available 85 of the highest quality (with full 'A' functionality).
06-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Really? I'd like to know in why.
It fits onto Pentax cameras, and a buddy if mine eschewed the Canon 85/1.2 in favour of the A*85/1.4, which he modified for his EOS1DMKII (or whatever the hell he is using). Apparently, as good as the Canon lens is, the Pentax one is better.
06-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Of course, its been hashed out a lot in here over time, but while the cropped sensor only captures the equivalent FoV of an 85mm lens at 58mm, it still doesn't give the equivalent magnification. If you don't care about that, get a 50. If you actually want the depth of field you'll get from the 85 (and its inherent subject/background seperation sweet spot) you still need an 85.
I'm not so sure that this isn't jibberish. Depth of field is tied to image magnification (on the sensor/film) and aperture. Focal length plays no part in it, other that deciding camera to subject difference.
A 58mm lens on the DSLR gives pretty much exactly the same field of view as an 85mm lens does on the 35mm film format, and gives very similar DOF at equivalent apertures, if the subject magnification is maintained.
This is why lazy thinkers can get away with their mind bending equivalencies where they say that a 50mm lens is a 75mm lens on the DSLR, when the fact is, it is still a 50mm lens.
What will change, and will change very dynamically, is subject to background relationships if you change focal length (but not format) and maintain the same magnification of the subject. Even then, depth of field will not alter, presuming identical apertures are used.
06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

No, the original post specifically mentioned lenses in the 85mm range (77/1.8, 70/2.4), and asked specifically for an inexpensive 85/1.8, which led me to believe he was discussing that range of focal lengths, not lenses in the 50-55mm range.
Well, i give you that a 85 makes a nice 135 equiv lens. (ok, on Pentax crop just under 90 would be that mark), if that is what the OP is after, then yes a 55 won't excite him very much, i'm mostly pointing out how Pentax seems to create DA lenses that match some "classic" 35mm equiv. FoV.
I think Pentax just needs some time and it will be all good.

The Canon 85/1.8 being a full frame lens would be matched by a DA*55 to serve the same purpose, for APS-C owners it makes a nice cheap alternative to 135/2 on full frame (not to say film).

Let them churn out the DA* 55/1.4, a nice fast normal DA* prime, and i'd hope a DA* 88/1.8|2 is next.

As always my reply is much longer than i thought it would be when i hit "Quick Reply", but let me add that i wonder what their commitment to DA(*) means with regard to future Full Frame camera plans, and that i feel safe with a APS-C camera because of it