Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2015, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Attention 16-85mm owners! (picture request)

I am very close to pulling the trigger and getting a 16-85mm. That said I still have some reservations about it. For the most part I think it will wind up being the best overall choice but to help alleviate my concerns before forking out over $500 bucks on a lens I am hoping to see some specific examples.

If you haven't seen my latest thread it's here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/305653-people-casual-portrait.html

Using that as a baseline I would like to see examples of portraits using the 16-85 and I would like to see them at specific focal lengths and apertures.

1) Right around 28mm or so at f4
2) Right around 50-55mm or so at f4.5
3) Right around 70-85mm somewhere on the long end at f5.6

As you can tell all the shots I am requesting are shot wide open. If you are not right on the focal length don't worry. I am just really looking for portrait type shots a the various focal lengths and related max apertures. (FWIW I shoot only primes and am not at all used to the whole variable aperture thing. I am also not so sure about the 'speed' of the lens...so maybe this little test will help me determine what to do)

Post processing and all that is totally fine just maybe not some wild out there HDR psychedelic interpretation Maybe not super heavy crops either.

I have looked through a bunch of the image samples out there and I guess since the lens is relatively new (less than a year) I can't seem to find what I am looking for. I have seen landscapes out the whazoo but not so much along the lines of what I am looking for. I've seen people shots but many of them don't have the exif information.

Thank you all for your help. If you can put them up on flickr or where ever so I can at least see the full image that will help too.

10-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

Awesome though the 16-85 is, wouldn't you perhaps be better with something like a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (or even a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 if you aren't averse to eBay) if you're so heavily into portrait work?
10-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
Awesome though the 16-85 is, wouldn't you perhaps be better with something like a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 (or even a Sigma 50-150 f2.8 if you aren't averse to eBay) if you're so heavily into portrait work?
I am not 'heavily into' anything.. at least not yet. I am always on the look out for what will be the ultimate lens set up

For a long time already I have been shooting straight primes which of course I am tempted to keep on doing. Odds are pretty slim of me giving up my prime addiction.

That said I am looking for a lens that will be (preferably) WR and that will be a good walk around lens. The focal length of the 16-85 is almost perfect for what I have in mind.

I am going on an extended trip (at least that's the plan) and I want to have a WR zoom in the bag 'just in case'. I want to get one for the different style and ease of using a zoom, which may come in handy on my journey.

I have seriously been torn about whether or not I should get a zoom. I have the Tamron 70-200 now but other than that for everyday kind of shooting I don't use it hardly at all. Just periodically. About 98% of the time I have a prime glued on the camera and it has been like that for at least a couple years. I just outright enjoy prime lenses. That said a zoom will be able to bring something to the party provided I am satisfied with the zoom. The 70-200 is quite good for IQ...

I had the Tamron 17-50 before but it just sat on the shelf for a long time so I sold it. It's not that it was bad at all, I just have been using primes. For this upcoming trip though I want to have a zoom in the bag for those instances where it makes more sense to use a zoom.

I am torn in between getting a Tamron (again), a Sigma, the 16-50, or the 16-85. I am having a huge internal fight over which one I should go with. I will be a lot more pleased with the 16-85 because of it's focal range and WR. I will be more pleased with the others because they are constant aperture.
10-12-2015, 12:42 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote

1) Right around 28mm or so at f4
2) Right around 50-55mm or so at f4.5
3) Right around 70-85mm somewhere on the long end at f5.6

I think that nothing can't be better than Tamron's 28-75 for these focal lenghts (for portraits and $500).

WR? But here is the choise based on very personal preferences.

10-12-2015, 03:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a thread with images taken exclusively with the 16-85. A fair variety of images, although many are landscapes.
10-12-2015, 05:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
I think that nothing can't be better than Tamron's 28-75 for these focal lenghts (for portraits and $500).
It's not only about portraits.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There is a thread with images taken exclusively with the 16-85. A fair variety of images, although many are landscapes.
Yes. I am aware. Hence the more specific request.
10-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here are a couple at the long end @ f5.6

10-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just shot a maternity session with the 16-85. While I don't have the time right now to look through the apertures, here are a few of my favourites with this lens. I really liked the lens, its quick AF and reliability. That being said, I still prefer the DA40 when I can afford to use it.

For the record, since I've had it I have been hard-pressed to find a significant difference between wide open and closed down.

(Sorry for the "proof" labels, this gallery is not final, the client has to go through it and select her favourites).

10-14-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I am not 'heavily into' anything.. at least not yet. I am always on the look out for what will be the ultimate lens set up

For a long time already I have been shooting straight primes which of course I am tempted to keep on doing. Odds are pretty slim of me giving up my prime addiction.

That said I am looking for a lens that will be (preferably) WR and that will be a good walk around lens. The focal length of the 16-85 is almost perfect for what I have in mind.

I am going on an extended trip (at least that's the plan) and I want to have a WR zoom in the bag 'just in case'. I want to get one for the different style and ease of using a zoom, which may come in handy on my journey.

I have seriously been torn about whether or not I should get a zoom. I have the Tamron 70-200 now but other than that for everyday kind of shooting I don't use it hardly at all. Just periodically. About 98% of the time I have a prime glued on the camera and it has been like that for at least a couple years. I just outright enjoy prime lenses. That said a zoom will be able to bring something to the party provided I am satisfied with the zoom. The 70-200 is quite good for IQ...

I had the Tamron 17-50 before but it just sat on the shelf for a long time so I sold it. It's not that it was bad at all, I just have been using primes. For this upcoming trip though I want to have a zoom in the bag for those instances where it makes more sense to use a zoom.

I am torn in between getting a Tamron (again), a Sigma, the 16-50, or the 16-85. I am having a huge internal fight over which one I should go with. I will be a lot more pleased with the 16-85 because of it's focal range and WR. I will be more pleased with the others because they are constant aperture.
Ah, I misunderstood. If it's a walkaround lens you're wanting then definitely the 16-85 - I'm a prime person and it has almost converted me to using zooms!