Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Rokinon 8mm Compatibility.

I hope this is a simple question to answer, it's my first post so apologies for any faux pas.

I didn't find the answer in the search function either, otherwise I would've let well enough alone!

I just bought a K-5 and it's a very steep learning curve for me coming from shooting on the 35mm K1000 for many years. I chose the K-5 because of it's price point and lens compatibility with all the lenses I already owned for the K1000.

All of my photog/videog friends are Canon enthusiasts and all use the Rokinon 8mm lens for their skateboarding video shooting.

I haven't been able to find if the Rokinon (and all of it's other sister company clones) are a direct fit for our 52mm Pentax bodies.

Will I need an adapter ring or will she snap and clamp right in?

10-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As long as it has the K mount and not a Nikon or Canon, it will be fine.
10-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deafanddiabetic Quote
I haven't been able to find if the Rokinon (and all of it's other sister company clones) are a direct fit for our 52mm Pentax bodies.

52mm? The Rokinon lens I know of (see here) does not use adapter rings. It comes with a lens mount and directly mounts to the camera bayonet mount.
10-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Currently, you will not find as many 3rd party lenses for the K-mount as for Nikon and Canon. I don't know the history of that 8mm Rokinon is but sometimes 3rd-party lenses that once were made in the k-mount are no longer available new (eg Zeiss glass) so you have to wait until a used k-mount shows up.

10-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Samyang 8mm is the same lens and is available in K-mount.
10-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by deafanddiabetic Quote
I hope this is a simple question to answer, it's my first post so apologies for any faux pas.

I didn't find the answer in the search function either, otherwise I would've let well enough alone!

I just bought a K-5 and it's a very steep learning curve for me coming from shooting on the 35mm K1000 for many years. I chose the K-5 because of it's price point and lens compatibility with all the lenses I already owned for the K1000.

All of my photog/videog friends are Canon enthusiasts and all use the Rokinon 8mm lens for their skateboarding video shooting.

Just make sure you are buying the one in the K mount, and it will mount and work in all shooting modes:

Samyang 8mm F3.5 Fisheye CS Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Rokinon 8mm Ultra Wide Angle f/3.5 Fisheye Lens FE8M-P B&H Photo ($239 under the Rokinon brand)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
I appreciate the help everybody.

I think this information will be just what I need, I'll order one tonight!

10-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Rokinon 8mm A lens it fits fine on my K-30. Same mount as all my k-mount lenses.
10-16-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have a Rokinon 8mm A lens it fits fine on my K-30. Same mount as all my k-mount lenses.
photolady, is that the K mount version then, or did you specifically say an "A lens" as in an A-mount?

My only reason for asking is you can buy a Canon or Nikon mount lens for $100 less than a K-Mount Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 8mm.
10-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think photolady means physical K mount with Pentax A series capabilities (control of aperture by camera but manual focus), which is IIRC what all these Rokinon lenses are.
10-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What pathdoc said. K-mount lens with A contacts. No need for green button. Camera reads lens contacts.

So you can buy a Canon or Nikon mount one for $68? I Paid $168 for mine.
10-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The 8mm Rokinon fisheye is made by Samyang, as are Bower, Bell & Howell, Walimex, and other brands. The are all practically exactly the same, in appearance and optics. They come in various mounts - Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. If you get the "For Pentax" version, it will be K-mount bayonet, and it will fit all Pentax K-mount cameras directly (like K-5), without adapter. It has an aperture ring, so you can use it on older film bodies, but it also has A setting on aperture ring. This setting allows the camera to choose the aperture. This is great, because even though the lens is manual focus, you can still use Av and P and other modes regularly. Once you get the lens, turn on your K-5, go to Menu, and check near the back of the menu to Enable aperture ring. Next, on the lens itself, there is a little button on the aperture ring, near the letter A. Press the button, and lock the aperture ring into A instead of one of the numbers. Now you can use this lens with practically full automation, except autofocus. The Samyang lenses do no have autofocus, but on Pentax DSLRs you can use a special feature called Catch in Focus (aka focus trapping), which lets you trigger the shutter when focus is confirmed. This is a great feature for manual lenses, but it might be useless with fisheye, since it has such large depth of field. You won't even have to focus it much, just find hyperfocal and you are done.

Btw, there are many threads about Samyang lenses as well as lens reviews, so feel free to search for those: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/samyang-8mm-f3-5-fisheye-cs.html
Despite the relatively low score, the Samyang 8mm is one of the best and most affordable fisheye lenses you can get in Pentax mount right now. Its pretty popular on these forums. That said, you might also want to look at the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye lens. Its not as wide, but it is still fisheye and has a comfortable zoom range, as well as full automation. Its an interesting lens, but costs a little more

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-16-2015 at 02:50 PM.