Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

should i keep it?

Hi, I'm starting to get into photography for a living and not just recreational. I have the k10d, 18-55mm kit lens (which I'm getting sick of and want the zoom 2.8), and I'm considering buying the next lense, however, before I go investing further into this line, I want to make sure I'm making the right investment. I'm getting mixed reviews from other pro's. some worry i won't be able to do the job well with the camera, site the fewer lenses, the shortcomings of the flash system, the unavailabilty of aftermarket and rental equipment, etc. Should I keep the pentax, or should I go to the Nikon lineup? Now, try to be objective (and if anyone could get me to a third party unbiased cite to ask this that would rock.) If I should keep it, why? I am going into portrait/ wedding photography, I want to still be able to do artsy stuff, I do not plan on doing much studio work, but I would like the camera to strongly have that option and access to good flash systems should I need them at some point. tell me about image quality, prices, flash systems, "able to get the job done-ability", color, etc. I would appreciate it. I am at an intermediate skill level but am hitting it hard and want to be professional asap. Will this camera facilitate that? How quickly will I "outgrow" it? Thanks.

Jenna

06-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To answer this, look at Ben's (here member as benjikan, full name Benjamin Kanarek) work. He's shooting Pentax with all it's cons and pros. Have a look at his work and you can make your own judgement...
06-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K10D is an excellent camera. You will never "outgrow" the Pentax Kx0D series when it comes to APS-C sensors.

There are basically two things that might make you want to rethink Pentax;

a) Fullformat, the future of it is uncertain. If you feel a need for it you might want to look at Nikon D3 and Canon 5D. But this is a completly different pricerange and completly different cameras. Although the Canon 5D is getting insanely cheap at the moment. Probably because there are a new model coming out. We will know later this year, once again, probably.

b) Burst rate is still slow on the Pentax Kx0D's. Only 3 frames/second. Hopefully that will improve soon enough.

Here comes the problem though, if you want quicker burst, the Canon 5D is out, since that one also only have 3 frames/second. So then only Nikon D3 or one of the Canon 1D's.

Anyways, that covers the two reasons I see that you should switch system. Pentax might or might not come out with a fullformat and might or might not add framerate to the Kx0D's series.

Lets see what Pentax have in the bag for you.

1) You like the camera.

2) Prices on lenses are low (Reference)

3) Even some Canon 5D users envy the colours of K10D (Reference)

4) Weather seals, no matter what people tell you about the usability of an unrated sealsystem. Logic states, that more rubber is better then less. I have used my K10D on a tripod and taken landscapeshots in massive rain without cover, without any trouble.

5) Compability. If you are going to be a professional wedding photographer, you will most likely be using all sorts of tricks. Using old lenses and old cameras is one. For example Pentax 645 or something equally cool. Would it not be nice to be able to use the same lenses on all cameras? (Canon can do this too, Nikon not so good).

6) On Pentax even the lenses that are 50 years old got shake reduction, which is very important on wedding shoots, if you come to like older lenses this is a great plus. Some old glass has a charm newer lenses dont have. And being in a dark church, on the move, you want shake reduction. This also apply on third party lenses, such as Carl Zeiss.

My conclusion without any deeper thought is, that with a camera such as Pentax K10D or K20D, you will most likely be the biggest obstacle. All cameramakers makes excellent cameras in this class. I think everyone of them have their place. I myself will be using Pentax Kx0D until the day I can afford, if ever, a medium format DSRL . You will not be able to buy a Nikon D3 or Canon 5D and automagically be a "more" professional photographer. If you are going to shoot mainly sports professionally, I'd say, get a Canon 5D and a Canon 40D with two of their überzooms. If you are going to shoot weddings, landscape, arty stuff or portraits, keep the K10D and get some good glass. I recommend you to get some fast primes. And a second house with a 50-135 on it.

I myself are considering to get a Canon 5D as a second house. Not because it makes me more professional or better at photography, but because it is getting cheap enough to justify buying it. But then on the other hand, all my lenses fit both Canon and Pentax. So I would not have to spend gazillions on new lenses.
06-23-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

By the way, I recommend you to get hold of a DVD called "Masters of wedding photography II" and watch it. There is not a single shot in that movie (except for the medium formats obviously) that you couldn't have shot with a Pentax K10D. Not a single one. And many of them photos are better then most people can do with any camera.

I also recommend you to have a look at BBC's documentary series "The genius of photography" which is a six episodes series about cameras and photography. Then ask yourself, how could they make all of those beautiful pictures with such simple cameras? Remember that you got 150 years of technology in your Pentax camera, all have been improved and are better then what they used. Yet there are some pictures that will never ever be forgotten. There are some really famous and beautiful pictures that have been taken with crap cameras by crap photographers and ontop of that are of crap technical quality, yet superb pictures.

06-23-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hee hee ... so I am presuming you were told this by a C or N user who has drop big $$$$$$ into their camera gear and boast about it ... but really don't produce the shots that the equipment is able to produce.

I hear it all of the time ... and really ... it doesn't bother me.

The majority of the work in the shot is done by the person holding the camera. What we have available to us current day is astounding ... a hell of a lot better than what photographers had to shoot with a long time ago (and they managed to deal with that quite well).

In the end ... i am happy that I haven't waste my $$$ on onver-price equipment that has less features ... but I am still learning and I am amazed at what my equipment can produce. Anyone can produce phenomenal images ... it comes down to the dummy holding the camera to really make it what it is.

My equipment can do everything I want it to do and much more ... my skills/ability or lack thereof is what is really holding me back.
06-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If any camera can get the job done for you depends a lot on how the ergonomics work for you.
You know the K10d, go to a store and check the ergonomics of whatever Canon or Nikon you could afford, see how they work for you.
Check if the Pentax lens line up covers what you feel you need to get the wedding job done (16-50/2.8 + 50-135/2.8 ? check)
Are there good flashes to get the job done at dark reception (Metz Meccablitz? check)
Grip for extra battery power? check
SDHC to store your large raw files? check
Good image quality? check
Good high ISO qualit/low noise? check

You know what would be really nice for a wedding job? a second body, like a K20D (i could have said second K10D)

If you want studio strobes later, you will likely trigger it the same on your Pentax as you would on your Nikon, with a radio trigger since we hate cables to trip over!?

Just read real well what Zewrak already wrote, the old lenses on a Pentax body, all stabilized, priceless.
06-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been a pro photographer with all manual equipment. PENTAX equipment. Goofy 'student/entry level' k1000 Pentax equipment.

Don't be afraid to choose your weapon. The one determining factor for any great photo is on the viewfinder side of the camera. Work on your composition & artistic eye. Pick a style or theme or angle to your shooting & exploit it to the max. Don't over-prepare with a suitcase full of lenses; have 2 MAAAAYBE 3 at hand, then possibly a couple zooms in the car if you need them.

With the type of photography you'll be doing, you'll have the luxury of researching the location. Visit before hand by a week or more to check lighting at the particular time of day you'll be shooting. Also stake out a couple of angles that will allow you to get some good pictures. Use the background to your advantage. I was shooting a wedding a few weekends ago and the stained glass was lighting the room. Powerful stuff. I lay on the floor in the isle, pointed my camera up at the pastor & as the couple turned to exchange vows... Amazing shot with the stained glass vaulting to the ceiling above the trio.

No matter what you choose, good photographers still make use of far less and are making a successful living. The photography series on Discovery showcased some folks using ancient film cameras with mediocre lenses for a 'certain effect' that reflects their style. Even small pocket P&S digitals in the hands of an old man were gathering some amazing scenes & subjects.

In short, it's the skills that put magic into the tools.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 06-23-2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: more info