Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Macro function??

Hi all,

I have recently bought this lens at a bargain price of R500 (ZAR) / +- $65 (US$) ... ... Tamron AF 75 - 300mm F/4 - 5.6 LD - MACRO 1:3.9 - (Model 672D).

I thought it to be a good deal, the lens is basically new. The guy who sold it was just getting rid of his equipment because he doesn't have time for his hobby.

On the lens it is written Macro 1:3.9, but I just can't figure out how the macro on the lens works. There is no hard switch on the lens to turn on a macro function.

Does anybody know how this works?? I downloaded the manual for the lens, but it doesn't state how it works.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Kind Regards
Danie.

06-23-2008, 05:19 AM   #2

There doesn't need to be a switch on the actual lens. Macro just means that the lens can close-focus if needed, 1:3.9 macro is not very much macro. Try checking the "close focusing distance" of the lens, it should be stated in the manual or something. Use that distance from the actual CAMERA to your subject, that way you will receive the "max-macro" of your lens.
06-23-2008, 05:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
06-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put the camera in MF, turn the focusing ring to the minimum distance and take a shot, focusing with body movement. The subject in focus is then 3.9 times smaller on image sensor than it is in real life.
This is the definition of a macro ratio.

06-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbe Quote
There doesn't need to be a switch on the actual lens. Macro just means that the lens can close-focus if needed, 1:3.9 macro is not very much macro. Try checking the "close focusing distance" of the lens, it should be stated in the manual or something. Use that distance from the actual CAMERA to your subject, that way you will receive the "max-macro" of your lens.
Yeah, the 70-300 lenses that require a switch to achieve "macro" capability can reach 1:2 with that switch enabled. I'm pretty sure that even in "normal" mode the Sigma and Tammy 70-300 units can reach 1:3.9.
06-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice....
Played around wit the lens last night and understand what you ment with the close focusing etc.

Got some nice shots in the end.

Cheers
Danie