Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 05:11 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
with this lineup, you don't need more lens ^^ LBA is bad
Yeah, I know...

Once you get started it doesn't stop though. The good news is that I'm mostly into alternative glass which is generally inexpensive unless you get into exotics.

10-21-2015, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

A lot of Pentax bias in this thread. The majority of my manual focus lenses are Pentax, but most of the Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, Vivitar, etc.) lenses are superior to the their older Pentax counterparts. The 85 and 14 are especially fine FF lenses, as is the 8mm as a crop format lens.
10-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I have the Samyang 14, 24 and 85 - they're great.
10-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I have the Samyang 14, 24 and 85 - they're great.
The 14mm is probably going to end up in my bag soon for when I want ultra wide. It also would make a great astro lens, but I haven't dabbled in that (yet).

---------- Post added 10-21-2015 at 07:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
A lot of Pentax bias in this thread. The majority of my manual focus lenses are Pentax, but most of the Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, Vivitar, etc.) lenses are superior to the their older Pentax counterparts. The 85 and 14 are especially fine FF lenses, as is the 8mm as a crop format lens.
Good point. Samyang have an impressive lineup, especially for the price.

10-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I have another viewpoint regarding Samyang.
They just trade off some aspects for others.
Very cheap for what they offer of course.

14mm - ok; no complaints optically if copy is good (ok.. perhaps the very large distortion). Use wise, buldging element makes filters systems an expensive and cumbersome affair and can't protect it with a clear filter in front.

85mm - Often enough, when its used beyond just shallow DOF stuff, it does not sharpen up to the standards of most fast 85mm. So yes, good for isolation shots for my daughter in the park, but when I also spot the park gazebo in good light and want an f8-f11 landscape type shot, not as good.
Bokeh tends towards smooth but bland too (YMMV) and lack of pop.

135/2 - Lots of samples that are close focus subjects which almost all 135mm will give nice bokeh. Pull it at a longer working distance from subject like a full body shot, and I've seen samples that the bokeh isn't all that great.
To be fair, all lenses will have bokeh that are not so good depending on focus distance and bkgnd type/distance.

Again.... not saying that they are bad.
Just that like with all lenses pros and cons.
10-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I have another viewpoint regarding Samyang.
They just trade off some aspects for others.
Very cheap for what they offer of course.

14mm - ok; no complaints optically if copy is good (ok.. perhaps the very large distortion). Use wise, buldging element makes filters systems an expensive and cumbersome affair and can't protect it with a clear filter in front.

85mm - Often enough, when its used beyond just shallow DOF stuff, it does not sharpen up to the standards of most fast 85mm. So yes, good for isolation shots for my daughter in the park, but when I also spot the park gazebo in good light and want an f8-f11 landscape type shot, not as good.
Bokeh tends towards smooth but bland too (YMMV) and lack of pop.

135/2 - Lots of samples that are close focus subjects which almost all 135mm will give nice bokeh. Pull it at a longer working distance from subject like a full body shot, and I've seen samples that the bokeh isn't all that great.
To be fair, all lenses will have bokeh that are not so good depending on focus distance and bkgnd type/distance.

Again.... not saying that they are bad.
Just that like with all lenses pros and cons.
Thanks for your perspective!
10-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #37

QuoteQuote:
Any particular reason you prefer the fd's?
To be honest, no, I have been happy with the Canon FD 50mm f1.4, so I haven't looked beyond it for another 50mm.
I do like infinity to be at the canon end, rather than the pentax end, but it's not a deal breaker.

I have tried other 135s and 24s, but haven't found better: the last one being the CZJ Sonnar 135mm 3.5, which, although sharp in the centre, had really horrible bokeh.

I also had a Samyang 14mm, but I found it very soft, so I sold it in the end.
I'd bought the filter holder for the Samyang, but it was so bulky and impractical that I never used the lens. I guess that I just had a bad copy (which does seem to be an issue with that lens).

10-22-2015, 05:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glitterball Quote
To be honest, no, I have been happy with the Canon FD 50mm f1.4, so I haven't looked beyond it for another 50mm.
This makes sense. I have been pleased with my fd 50mm as well, especially given the "bang for your buck" factor. I got mine for $75 with the adapter for Sony e mount. It's a great lens from f/2 and beyond. Bokeh is mediocre though (in my opinion).
10-22-2015, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

The Samyang lenses absolutely have their share of issues. For instance, the 85 ends up oblong when stopped down beyond about f/5.6. Then again, I almost never need to use that lens stopped down that far. I think the bokeh is great, though - not too creamy for me. The 85 has some focus shift (as does the 8); most lenses focus beyond infinity. On the other hand, I haven't seen any de-centering problems on mine, even though these are high spec lenses. Overall, though, they seem to all have excellent coatings - best I've seen from third-party sources (and close to Pentax standards). Also, nice that the focus and aperture system agrees with the mount (Pentax and the other brands).

So, the engineering is especially good considering the price point.
10-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just picked up my first lens to try out. I went with a takumar 35mm f/3.5 that I found here on the sale forum. It will be a new focal length and nicely priced.

If I like it, I'll probably pick up a few more down the line.
12-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Are there significant differences between partly chrome, partly black and the only black (your preferences) versions?
I would have liked to buy partly chrome version, it would not be wise tu buy this?
I have only used the following: super takumar 105/2.8, smc takumar 105/2.8, and an all black version of the preset 105/2.8. I have never tried the chrome/black version of the preset takumar 105/2.8. It you get a clean copy, it could be just as nice as the all black version but I can't tell you for sure. There is also the semi-auto version of the 105/2.8. If you search on line you can probably find sample images from all the different versions; I did, and that's why I selected a clean copy of the all black lens. Kuan's images in particular sold me on it.