Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You don't get the full story when you check only one test. Since there are production variations in EVERY brand. On one test, one of the lens might not be optimal. You need to see many tests to have a fair idea.
There aren't many objective tests to look at. But as far as subjective tests, there are numerous posts in any forum comparing the two, and by an undeniable majority they say the same thing as the Photozone tests, the Tamron is sharper at 200-300 mm. I am quoting an objective test and many subjective descriptions, some in this thread from people who owned both. What is your proof that they are equally sharp?

I would only recommend the Tamron to someone who can't afford to move up to the Pentax 55-300mm. The Sigma APO is priced between those two, and it's normally considered comparable to the Tamron (softness vs CA), so to me it is not as good a value. If one can afford better than the $130 Tamron, get the Pentax.

06-26-2008, 06:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Funny, the Ritz Camera (Quantaray brand) guy recently said Sigma made Quantarays.

I had a Quantaray (for a couple days only, 25 years ago). It was not sharp, and the saleman did not seem surprised when i returned it. Actually, he asked "it's not sharp?"

Regardless, at least this Tamron gets good reviews and I've seen good shots from it.
Some Quantarays are Sigmas, including older 70-300s. For a while Ritz sold BOTH versions (Sigma non-APO and Tamron, you could tell the difference based on filter size.), but all of the 70-300 Quantarays for the past year or so have been Tamrons.

25 years ago, a Quantaray could have been any of the 239470923794439 third-party manufacturers.
06-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
25 years ago, a Quantaray could have been any of the 239470923794439 third-party manufacturers.
Entropy,

It's people like you that spread senseless filth around the internet that murky the waters of the photographic world. And then people read your posts and believe you, thus ensuring that inaccuracies and blatant lies get imprinted into the global subconscious of photographers everywhere...and then we have to start endless threads debunking all these myths.

Please, post responsibly, and get your facts right. The number of 3rd party manufacturers 25 years ago was 239470923794441. OK?
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There aren't many objective tests to look at. But as far as subjective tests, there are numerous posts in any forum comparing the two, and by an undeniable majority they say the same thing as the Photozone tests, the Tamron is sharper at 200-300 mm. I am quoting an objective test and many subjective descriptions, some in this thread from people who owned both. What is your proof that they are equally sharp?

I would only recommend the Tamron to someone who can't afford to move up to the Pentax 55-300mm. The Sigma APO is priced between those two, and it's normally considered comparable to the Tamron (softness vs CA), so to me it is not as good a value. If one can afford better than the $130 Tamron, get the Pentax.
I never said they were equally sharp. I just mean that overall, if you look at all the variables, they are more or les the same. The strong point of one lens is the weak point of the other re. one has purple fringing, but sharper at 220-300mm. If you look at only one quality and forget everything else, it is easy to jump to conclusion. If you look at the whole picture and check all the criterias, it is hard to say one is better than the other.

06-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I never said they were equally sharp. I just mean that overall, if you look at all the variables, they are more or les the same. The strong point of one lens is the weak point of the other re. one has purple fringing, but sharper at 220-300mm. If you look at only one quality and forget everything else, it is easy to jump to conclusion. If you look at the whole picture and check all the criterias, it is hard to say one is better than the other.
Yeah, there is a definite tradeoff between the two. That said - A soft lens is always soft, while the Tamron only PFs situationally.
06-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Yeah, there is a definite tradeoff between the two. That said - A soft lens is always soft, while the Tamron only PFs situationally.
Very good point! I had trouble deciding between these 2 lenses until I came to that exact conclusion. As long as you don't push the Tammy too hard in obvious PF situations, it's a fantastic lens.