Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Sigma 70-300: Also apparently much more sample variation (quality control) than the Tamron.
Strange, but I know some people having some issue with the Tamron not being as good as the Sigma when it comes variations in the bulid or image quality. I guess it depends where you stand when you look at the issue. As far as I know, the Sigma APO has less CA and purple fringing than the Tamron. Everything else seems to be more or less even.

06-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
As far as I know, the Sigma APO has less CA and purple fringing than the Tamron. Everything else seems to be more or less even.
There are MTF tests online at Photozone that show the Tamron well ahead of the Sigma in sharpness/resolution at 200mm and above.

Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro - Test Report / Review

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro (Pentax K) - Review / Lab Test Report
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I dispute in those findings is that they tests were done nearly 2 years apart. There were/are a lot of sample variations with the Sigma's as far as sharpness goes, but everything I've seen from those that have bought in the last year or two has shown those results to not be indicitive of what the lens is capable of. Combine that with the fact that the lens differs in external appearance from what is available now, and I can only come to the conclusion that they made changes on the inside as well. One thing is for certain, I've never seen any sign of fringing from any Sigma (if anyone else has, please share, I'm interested in seeing it). The same can not be said of the Tamron, and I have seen it quite bad in a few cases.
06-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I am pretty happy with Tamron 70-300 Di LD 1:2 Macro. I bought it used in marketplace from a great soul for $90 -- I think I may have bought it from Eastern Shore Charlie. Yes, PF can be a problem with the lens but I learn to cope with it in f/8.0 and smaller apertures (bigger f numbers as in f/8.0, f/11.0) and up ISO when in dimmer light. I also use PFree+XnView for PF removal. Here are few blog posts with test pictures on the lens

I used it for everything from tele to close up and portraits. On a limited budget, I can recommend this lens with the noted caveats on PF but if you learn to cope with it, it is a value lens to have.
I want to add that both the Sigma and Tamron are fine lens for the price. Best image quality should go to DA 55-300 but you are paying for twice the price and the lens come short in missing 1:2 macro that you have in the Sigma and Tamron. I own the Tamron lens and I have seen great pictures from Sigma and my forum friends do have the Sigma, even the non-APO one, and I have seen great shots from both the APO and the non-APO versions of Sigma.

As many have said, the Tamron do have a bit of more occurrences on PF but the sharpness and cheaper price in Tamron overshadow the weakness for me. Sharpness is my 1st criteria in choosing a lens, and I deal with the PF with techniques in knowing the lens and PP with tool.

Few test pictures from my Tamron 70-300 Di LD

PF/CA happen in similar shots but I overcome in PP and shoot it in
different timing, angle, lighting, ISO, smaller aperture

very reasonable for my $90 to do 1:2 close up

I like sharpness that I can depend on
@ 160mm

@ 300mm

@ 300mm

And I used it to the extreme on Birds In Flight as well as Bee in Flight

@ 300mm in macro
Color fringes: you can see them on lower left white edges of the flower

I use it for both flowers & bugs in hiking, very versatile to go from portraits to tele and back to close up

Range from 70mm to 150mm serve me well in portraits

@ 120mm

@ 133mm

I can recommend without a doubt that both the Tamron and Sigma will serve your purpose well. If PF bothers you, go with the Sigma and if sharpness is key to you and you want a cheaper lens, go with the Tamron.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 06-24-2008 at 07:38 PM.
06-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Pentax FA-J: It's a piece of junk according to every review I've seen of it. It's the prime example I use whenever someone makes a comment of "Why do you have a Pentax body and not use Pentax glass?"
Ya know, in the overall scheme of things the FA-J series does not represent a large proportion of the Pentax line of lenses. Plenty of great Pentax glass out there, so the J series is not a good reason to swear off the brand or suggest that others do so.
06-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Not all of the FA-J 75-300s are a piece of junk ... mine seems to be quite fine and produces quite decent images.
06-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the feedback =) im glad i posted this up. this is my first post ever, and im glad to see all the help! i think im going to go for the tamron, its cheaper, and sharper. and the pf can just be fixed with pp. thank you everyone =)

06-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Here are a few examples of the "macro" capability of the Tamron.

06-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #24
Forum Member

Go for the Tamron 70-300mm Di. Everybody seems to like it. If you are going sigma, get the APO. Do not bother with the FA J version. I had it and sold it to get the Tamron Di.
06-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Ya know, in the overall scheme of things the FA-J series does not represent a large proportion of the Pentax line of lenses. Plenty of great Pentax glass out there, so the J series is not a good reason to swear off the brand or suggest that others do so.
I guess I should have made my wording more clear, it's my response to those who say "Why have a Pentax body and use anything but Pentax glass?".

I'm not advocating completely avoiding Pentax glass, but the 70-300 FA-J is a perfect example of why third party lenses should always be considered when lens shopping - Some automatically assume that third party lenses are purchased because they are cheap, but in some cases, they are purchased because they are hands-down superior to anything in the same price/weight range. (Although really, if you want large/fast/high quality glass in the same zoom range, there's not much option other than the Sigma 100-300 f/4.)
06-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Macro shot with the Sigma70-300mm APO at 300mm:

When DoF isn't deep enough, your leaves get soft
Shot at 70mm:

Diana Looks Down

I was divided between the Tamron and the Sigma. The PF issue was making me lean towards Sigma, then I went to B&H and they didn't have the Tamron in stock, so I got the Sigma. I've been very happy with it and recommend it whenever anybody asks about getting a 70-300mm consumer zoom. However, the main difference between these two lenses is going to come from you and how you use them; use them within their limitations and you will get splendid pictures from either.

If money is an issue, then just get the cheapest. There is no point worrying any further about it. Just buy one and start shooting with it; remember that's where the fun is!
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I have the cheapo Sigma non APO and it is pretty good for most of what I use it for. A little soft at 300mm but at less its quite good. The macro is good also although I really don't use it much except when i'm bored. For the price you can't go wrong. I've seen it advertised for around a hundred bucks. Thats 2 tankfulls of gas so ride your bike for a couple of weeks and buy the lens.
06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I've owned both the Tamron 70-300 & the Sigma 70-300 (APO) - I now own the Pentax 55-300....

Of the 2 70-300s from my experiences its a choice of better sharpness (Tamron) or better colour/contrast rendition & virtually no CA/PF...

I found my Tamron to be pretty awful in the "purple" area & just couldn't remove it all with PP, some others don't seem to have quite so bad experiences...

The Sigma APO was just a little soft above 220mm for me

In the end I couldn't happily live with either & have spent quite a bit more cash buying the new Pentax 55-300, I have to say though it's definitely a step-up from either of the 70-300s

simon
06-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There are MTF tests online at Photozone that show the Tamron well ahead of the Sigma in sharpness/resolution at 200mm and above.

Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro - Test Report / Review

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di macro (Pentax K) - Review / Lab Test Report
You don't get the full story when you check only one test. Since there are production variations in EVERY brand. On one test, one of the lens might not be optimal. You need to see many tests to have a fair idea. As far as I know, they both are (in average) more or less even. I would go for the Sigma (personal choice) due to PF on the Tamron (just knowing it is there would bug me).
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You realize that the Tamron and the Quantaray are the EXACT same lens?
Funny, the Ritz Camera (Quantaray brand) guy recently said Sigma made Quantarays.

I had a Quantaray (for a couple days only, 25 years ago). It was not sharp, and the saleman did not seem surprised when i returned it. Actually, he asked "it's not sharp?"

Regardless, at least this Tamron gets good reviews and I've seen good shots from it.