Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2015, 05:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How much different will the Pentax branded version be from the original Tamron unit? I understand one of the differences will be the coatings but will there be other differences?

Could a review include a comparison to the older Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens? Many people have it and may be considering upgrading.

10-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How much different will the Pentax branded version be from the original Tamron unit? I understand one of the differences will be the coatings but will there be other differences?

Could a review include a comparison to the older Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens? Many people have it and may be considering upgrading.
I think the big difference is obviously the coatings and the fact that there will be auto correction features available in camera (which there wouldn't be for a Tamron branded version -- which obviously isn't even available).

There has been some discussion as to whether or not one or two of the elements are a little different between the two versions, but my guess is that they are the same, but with different advertising speak describing them.
10-21-2015, 06:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What a bunch of liars!!
If so, it's a lie I don't mind being told. Bonus early release!

Now if only the same turned out to be true of the full-frame...

---------- Post added 21-10-15 at 11:00 ----------

Good idea, that - although I suspect that will be one of those things which should wait for the full review. Bear in mind, of course, that full reviews will probably now have to cover performance both on the full-frame and APS-C and will be more exhaustive accordingly.
10-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Could a review include a comparison to the older Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 lens?
There is a useful DxoMark test of those two lenses on for example a Nikon FF like the D810.

The 28-75 does OK, but wide-open the 24-70 performs much better.

10-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
There is a useful DxoMark test of those two lenses on for example a Nikon FF like the D810.

The 28-75 does OK, but wide-open the 24-70 performs much better.
Oh, wow! The new Tamron really wallops the old one. doesn't it?
10-21-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Oh, wow! The new Tamron really wallops the old one. doesn't it?
It seems to. With the addition of Pentax coatings, it will probably do even better.

To verify that, one day [hopefully] will be able to see the same lens tested by DxO on both Pentax FF and Nikon FF ...
10-21-2015, 05:30 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot a few shots with it this evening. A nice lens. Quiet, speedy auto focus -- better than the 16-50 in that regard. Lens itself is a chunk -- heavy and wide.

This is at 70mm and f2.8 (full size available on Flickr):

My poor, long suffering son has to deal with new lenses and let me snag his photo. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take a few more photos over the next few days, but we'll see...

One thing I do notice is that there isn't any purple fringing that I can see. This has been the biggest negative of lenses like the 16-50 and the FA limiteds, in my experience and I don't see any at this point.

10-21-2015, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
My poor, long suffering son has to deal with new lenses and let me snag his photo. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take a few more photos over the next few days, but we'll see..

Bring him to my house, it was my birthday yesterday, there is Ice Cream and Cake to be eaten.
10-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Shot a few shots with it this evening. A nice lens. Quiet, speedy auto focus -- better than the 16-50 in that regard. Lens itself is a chunk -- heavy and wide.

My poor, long suffering son has to deal with new lenses and let me snag his photo. Hopefully I'll have a chance to take a few more photos over the next few days, but we'll see...

One thing I do notice is that there isn't any purple fringing that I can see. This has been the biggest negative of lenses like the 16-50 and the FA limiteds, in my experience and I don't see any at this point.
Thanks for sharing!

I am still debating should I get this if not getting a FF camera? I just love this range and 2.8 decisions, decisions
10-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know your processing skills are top notch and may hide some lens weaknesses, but to me this looks very very good open wide at the long end.
10-22-2015, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What a bunch of liars!!
This is Uluru speak! Can we try to avoid it?
10-22-2015, 03:37 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My poor, long suffering son has to deal with new lenses and let me snag his photo.
Such is always the case with the children of avid shutterbugs. Have we started a 24-70/2.8 Pentax club yet, or are you the first among us to snag this magnificent beast of a lens?
10-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Such is always the case with the children of avid shutterbugs. Have we started a 24-70/2.8 Pentax club yet, or are you the first among us to snag this magnificent beast of a lens?
I did start a specific thread for photos here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/306371-new-...ml#post3408010. I know others have their copies on the way and will be getting them soon so I imagine there will be lots more photos coming.