Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
help with lens

hello,
I'm thinking of getting a PENTAX Asahi-Spotmatic super Takumar 1:1.8 / 55 for 25 $ for my k10, is this somthing is should be excited about, I'm curious which mount it has. any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

06-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

I was pretty excited when I got mine lol

well it its the one that im thinking about which I think is the Takumar series, its going to have a screw mount so you should look into buying a k mount to screw mount m42 adapter once you get it, they sell them on ebay but make sure to buy a certain specific kind of adapter since there are some which dont let you focus to infinity.

about the lens itself its definitely a great lens, its really good wide open and like most lenses, stopped down it just gets better but like I said it is really good wide open and fast so thats what you should really be excited about.

quality wise all metal construction so its really high quality and optics wise of outmost quality also

for that price its a really good deal and at this point those lenses are starting to be kind of like collectors items since they were made during the sixties but that doesnt mean they are any less good than todays optics.

one other thing you should note is that the lens is all manual so the aperture and focus both have to be set manually but that just makes you feel like you are more involved in the picture taking process

so yeah hope you like it.
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
old lens

thanks for the reply, you said "make sure to buy a certain specific kind of adapter since there are some which don't let you focus to infinity. "
is there a way of knowing which adapter is best?
06-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

yeah you should try to buy the "flush" kind

here is the link to one which looks like the one you should buy (im not advocating that you buy this one from this vendor since it is kind of pricey and I think you can find a better deal if you look around, this vendor just happens to have a really good picture of it but! you can buy it from whom ever you like)

Pentax K-PK-Camera to Screw Mount(M42)Lens Adapter Ring - eBay (item 270249299520 end time Jun-26-08 19:00:48 PDT)

this other one is an example of one you should NOT and I emphasize NOT buy

M42 screw Lens to Pentax Pk K mount adapter - eBay (item 290239667591 end time Jun-23-08 23:45:00 PDT)

regardless of what the vendor tells you in the description, if you want to focus to infinity then buy the first kind.

hope this helps

06-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for doing the leg work, your info was of great help, can't wait to get the lens,
06-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackerlee Quote
thanks for doing the leg work, your info was of great help, can't wait to get the lens,
Super Takumar 55mm f1.8

Thats some testshots I did with mine. All shot wideopen.

And about adapters. Always try to get the genuine adapter from Pentax.

Have fun.
06-24-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
nice pics, the website looks pretty helpful as well, have a great day thanks for the reply