Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma flare issues... Anyone else notice this?

So I've upgraded my 18-55mm kit lens to the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 a while ago and for the most part I love it; The IQ, contrast, sharpness, speed, and fast/silent AF are all nice upgrades, but I've recently noticed heavy flaring when shooting into any light source. This was the one thing I never payed much attention to, as the kit lens had zero flare, and I could easily shoot into the sun with it if I wanted to. I've also tested out my Sigma 50-150mm and it also appears to be flare prone.
I've tried different settings, but besides doing multiple exposures with my thumb on the light source, nothing seems to help. And removing it in PS is usually next to impossible.
Is there a reason my 600$ and 1000$ sigma lenses can't handle flare nowhere near as well as a 50$ kit lens?
Can anyone confirm this issue?

Here are the examples first one being the kit lens:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's why i settled for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, because I was worried about the flare issues. The Sigma seems to be prone to it.

Here https://500px.com/photo/105698127/cherry-blossoms-by-ncarr?ctx_page=1&from=u...er_id=11488281 the Tamron also has flare, but it is nicely controlled and purposeful, not random...
10-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It may be that the Pentax SMC coatings are superior. Also, the greater number of elements in a lens, the greater risk of flare.
10-25-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
It may be that the Pentax SMC coatings are superior. Also, the greater number of elements in a lens, the greater risk of flare.
They are, and the element count is indeed a significant factor. I'm not saying this to bash the brand out of hand. However, I've used Sigma lenses for decades, and resistance to flare and ghosting has hardly ever been one of their strengths. As it would seem, it doesn't figure very highly in their design philosophy, which is a shame, since it can also affect contrast and colour rendering.

10-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
do you have a filter on the lens?
10-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Fast wide lens seem to be very prone to lens flare and thats before you take the quality of coatings into consideration. The Da 14 and Da* 16-50 both produce a lot of flare, while the 15ltd and 20-40ltd are much better.
10-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Fast wide lens seem to be very prone to lens flare and thats before you take the quality of coatings into consideration. The Da 14 and Da* 16-50 both produce a lot of flare, while the 15ltd and 20-40ltd are much better.
100% correct. The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is an extreme example of this. Pentax is generally considered to have excellent lens coatings (and the HD coatings are even better) but the DA* 16-50mm pushes the limits of the 40-year-old SMC coatings. On the other hand, the DA 50mm f/1.8, with essentially the same coatings, is practically immune to flare.

—DragonLord

10-26-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Damn.. That's really gonna cause problems with my landscape pictures. I guess no more sunset shots for me.
At least now I know it's not a faulty lens issue. I still love my Sigma zooms for their IQ, built quality, fast/silent AF and sharpness, but I'm gonna have to find something else for my landscape shots... perhaps the kit lens? I'm actually planning to get the Sigma 8-16mm to complete my holy trinity of sigma lenses, and was hoping to use it for landscape shots... reviews say it has very little flare, so I'm still hopeful.
And after reading the reviews of the other 2 lenses (tamron and pentax), it's obvious all 3 have a lot more flare than the kit lens, making me think it is not down to the quality of lens, so much as it is down to the number of elements. That would also explain why my prime lenses have no flare.

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
do you have a filter on the lens?
No filter.
10-26-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my experience, the Sigma 17-70C and the DA 18-55 are both very prone to flare if shooting into the sun. That said, I have had some fine shots with both of those lenses with sunsets and sunrises and both do OK with landscapes. At certain angles, the flare can be brutal with the kit lens. Shooting into the sun, every lens can flare. I've found the DA15 and DA40 limiteds very resistant to flare but they can and do flare. Filters can make it worse. I don't have the DA 21 or 70 but I will assume they're also very flare resistant. Zooms seem to flare worse than primes. While coatings help, flare is caused by light reflections inside the lens and the construction of zooms just seems to make them more susceptible. I purchased the DA 50/1.8 recently but I haven't used it a lot yet and not at all in backlit shots so it's good to hear that is very resistant too. Another surprising lens I own that is flare resistant is a 28/3.5 Super Tak, pre SMC coating. I have done a lot of late afternoon shots into the sun and many out on the water which reflects light from different angles with good results.

Very important. Before shooting into the sun, make sure the front element of your lens is clean! A fingerprint, smudge, water spot, etc will cause flare with any backlight. So will a scratch or ding in the glass.