Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DA 560 or 600 A*

I'm looking to upgrade from a Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 to either a DA 560 or the 600 A* to use on my K-3 for mostly wildlife and aviation photos.

They both have pros and cons but since I've never used or even seen either of these lenses I would like to get some feedback from someone who hopefully has used them. I've read many reviews on the 600 and have only found a few on the 560.

The pros for the 560 are the weather sealing, auto focus and being new. Con is just the price, as i'm typing this it's on Amazon for $3613. Adorama has one in stock for $4997 and B&H where I would prefer to buy from it's a special order for same price as Adorama.

The 600 pros are further reach and price, about $2400 on eBay right now but the con is manual focus and no weather sealing and being used.

And I'm also wondering if the upgrade is worth the money, it's just a hobby for me and I'm still learning but really enjoy being out looking for interesting shots.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

10-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The difference between 560 and 600 mm is virtually nothing. For the K3 I would (and do) lean toward the 560; but the sticker price will keep it out of my hands for some years yet. I make do with an M 400 (+ AFA 1.7X = 680 mm); but it has thousands of dollars worth of drawbacks that mean a steep learning curve. I've had mine since I bought it used for C$330 in the 1980's and I still need to work out the metering quirks with the new K3. It's in really great shape since I knocked it off the tripod and spent C$350 to have Mr. Pentax put it back together for me.

Another learning point is how easy it is to shift from center weighted metering to spot with the K3 because some of the buttons on the K3 are in a different place and the K10 had a metering switch where the lock lever is on the K3. Taking pictures of black and white birds that are 6 inches long results in some really "interesting" exposure shifts in spot mode.
10-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 560 is APS-C only, if that's an issue.
10-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

I think A* 600 is too heavy than DA 560.

10-25-2015, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
I think A* 600 is too heavy than DA 560.
I owned an A*600 for some years before upgrading to an FA 600 f/4. I was quite happy with it. You really might want to consider what TC's you want to use with it.
because yes, 600 is long, but no where near long enough --you will always want longer. Pentax made a couple classic TC's for this long glass, the 1.4x-L and the
2x-L which pretty regularly show up on the second hand market. While they don't support auto focus etc. on the long shots the depth of field is so skinny that
you often want to manually trim up the focus anyway once you decide what part of the bird you want in focus. also you need to let your attitude toward full frame
drive part of the decision.

personally I've been collecting and hoarding FF lenses for the day a FF body will appear. Of course FF makes long shots just that much more difficult.

If you think you won't want to use TC's think again. you can maintain decent quality and you certainly do more to fill the screen. Here is an example of a picture
I took today. this bird was no more than 25 feet or so away, but is fairly small--- maybe 6-8 inches long. this is uncropped but greatly reduced in size.
With the 1.4x tC I couldn't get the whole bird on a horizontal layout. at only 600mm--- it easily fit on a horizontal layout.
Attached Images

10-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sigma 500 f4.5 prime. Although the price is inflated because its the only pentax super teli...
10-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The 560 not being FF compatible isn't a big deal but I was wondering if the price will drop on it once the FF is finally released or if I could expect any deals on black Friday or cyber Monday. I would like to order something now but think I should wait until after Thanksgiving in the US.

The Sigma 500 f4.5 is nice but it is out of my budget.

10-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
The Sigma 500 f4.5 is nice but it is out of my budget.
The sigma is the same price as the da 560, i would take a look at either. My friend though who owned one in nikon mount, sold it even though it was sharp as a knife, because it was just too big of a lens to use regularly. Maybe a 300mm plus teleconverter would be sharp enough. The quality of that combination is outstanding.
10-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The lowest I've seen the Sigma 500 anywhere is $4999, the 560 is $3600 on Amazon right now.
10-27-2015, 03:29 AM   #10

I never used DA 560 but A* 600 is the descent lens! One of the best I ever tried. The only drawback that it is front heavy, so using it on tripod requires long plate. As mentioned by rvannatta above, dedicated converters work very good with A* 600: no image degradation with 1.4xL and some (mostly lower contrast) when using 2xL.
11-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #11

Hi

Firs i am sorry my bad english - but i will try.

i have gone the way from 150-500 to the 560mm and it was a fantastic change. The 560 is an awsome lense and i am happy to use it. I know it is for apsc - but i have no plans to go FF - i am sure Pentax will take good care of us, who wants o have the crop 1.5 and have the 9-10 pictures pro secund. And by the way i am sure the new FF wil have an crop finction.

The 560 makes a super job. Only cons is the size. I is rather long - and sometimes it is a litte difficult - but it is only a small problem. I often join other guys - often canikon - and my lens is absolute at the same level as theirs. So i can only recomand to take the step. I could not use a long lens with MF.

At this link you can se a few of my pictures - all taken with the 560. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/308263-nature-560mm-samples.html

Ole
11-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by naestved Quote
Hi

Firs i am sorry my bad english - but i will try.

i have gone the way from 150-500 to the 560mm and it was a fantastic change. The 560 is an awsome lense and i am happy to use it. I know it is for apsc - but i have no plans to go FF - i am sure Pentax will take good care of us, who wants o have the crop 1.5 and have the 9-10 pictures pro secund. And by the way i am sure the new FF wil have an crop finction.

The 560 makes a super job. Only cons is the size. I is rather long - and sometimes it is a litte difficult - but it is only a small problem. I often join other guys - often canikon - and my lens is absolute at the same level as theirs. So i can only recomand to take the step. I could not use a long lens with MF.

At this link you can se a few of my pictures - all taken with the 560. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/308263-nature-560mm-samples.html

Ole
Your English is just fine Ole - an awful lot better than my Danske for sure! Your shots with the 560 have ignited a fire under my LBA.
11-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ole, glad to hear from someone who has experiance with both. I was worried about spending the money and not getting that big of a upgrade.

I already purchased a upgraded tripod and gimbal head and a backpack made for a 600/F4 with body so I got the support equipment needed for the 560. I plan on buying the lens this weekend, hopefully a black Friday or cyber Monday deal.