Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I owned the FA* 80-200 f2.8 for a while and did not find problems in high contrast situations with purple fringing, in fact that lens near the DA* 200 f2.8 in that respect. But I may have missed the CA - what would it manifest as with that lens and in what situations?
Let's be clear : it's a * lens and performs as such. from the examples I've seen, however, it shows CA like most lenses from "that time". More obvious on digital. As an optical designer myself, I think the level of control over aberrations shown by DA lenses is nothing short of spectacular.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I tend to prefer the F series
Fro the looks, definitely. It's not for everyone but I dig that old-fashioned "modern" vibe.

10-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Let's be clear : it's a * lens and performs as such. from the examples I've seen, however, it shows CA like most lenses from "that time". More obvious on digital. As an optical designer myself, I think the level of control over aberrations shown by DA lenses is nothing short of spectacular.

Fro the looks, definitely. It's not for everyone but I dig that old-fashioned "modern" vibe.
If I understood it right Pentax philosophy was to make small lenses rather than perfect lenses. It also meant slower max apperture, less glass and so nice properties like better flare resistance. That's fortunate because for the ltd the hood can so be smaller too and less intrusive.

For some special lenses like that FA ltd, it was even pushed to the next step... If a lense is perfectly corrected, while the performance and resolution will be better, it might lack some spice, have less pleasing bokeh and rendering. That's another benefit. I think such idea was also a design philosophy shared with leica that discovered that if you fully correct a lenses, the results are less pleasing to the eyes.
10-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

If I understood it right Pentax philosophy was to make small lenses rather than perfect lenses. It also meant slower max apperture, less glass and so nice properties like better flare resistance. That's fortunate because for the ltd the hood can so be smaller too and less intrusive.

For some special lenses like that FA ltd, it was even pushed to the next step... If a lense is perfectly corrected, while the performance and resolution will be better, it might lack some spice, have less pleasing bokeh and rendering. That's another benefit. I think such idea was also a design philosophy shared with leica that discovered that if you fully correct a lenses, the results are less pleasing to the eyes.