Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
AF without quick-shift?

I've tolerated it on the DA L 18-55 and the Tamron 17-50/2.8,
but generally speaking, it's a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.
The D-FA 100mm is a screw-drive lens with quick-shift capability.

Side note : what if the delay in releasing the FF is all about pre-producing 26 FA lenses based on past design for immediate consumption?

10-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
TOKYO-The lid was lifted recently from one of the photographic
industry's best-kept secrets when Asahi Pentax unveiled
a brand-new line (designated the Pentax K series) of three new
35-mm single-lens reflex cameras. These have 45-mm bayonet
lens mounts and a matching line of 26 Super-Multi-Coated Pentax
lenses.
Could they do that in this day and age, though? Leaks and corporate espionage have become easier and more commonplace these days. I'm not sure such an incredible bombshell could be hidden as efficiently as it was then. Unless all this dithering over the full-frame, the 70-200 and the collaboration with Tamron over the wide (and possibly ultra wide) angle lens(es) has just been the smokescreen prior to the Big Reveal...

The FA primes really aren't all that big. They can afford to grow a little... but not much. I wouldn't mind seeing a size growth just sufficient to add a D-FA 50mm/1.2 to the lineup. The zooms can and must grow, sadly - if you're going FF for the first time, you really do need a set of high-performance, fast zooms to take you from UWA to mid tele, and the price is worth paying there. But even then I think we'll see a variable max aperture zoom come along to keep size, weight and price down.
10-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The D-FA 100mm is a screw-drive lens with quick-shift capability.
Yes, but it's in the D FA series, not the FA series.

---------- Post added 10-28-15 at 02:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
No good having DC or QS in your lens if it doesn't have an aperture ring and can't be used on a K-1000. Read my post again carefully, and note the point I was trying to make.
I read your post as saying that the FA lenses are "the most useful Pentax lenses of all".

But an AF lens without QS is not very useful to me.

And as for those old-fashioned cameras where the sensor only lasts for 36 shots,
I've got plenty of Tak, K, M, and A lenses that work really well on those,
with a nice long focus throw that isn't compromised by AF.
10-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All this does is set us up for disappointment. If they bring 'only' 16 improved FA re-releases ..... We're disappointed.

10-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
FA are the best option as far as compatibility is concerned. If I were to choose between aperture ring and quiet AF, I would take quiet AF.
On the other hand I didn't hear many stories about FA lens that had broken screw drive AF and Pentax Forums are full of stories about broken SDM motors.

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
The trick is getting the right tool for the job.
Exactly. If I were going to theatre I would prefer quiet DC motor DA or D-FA lens, but if reliabilty were my biggest concern I would take FA*, though that's pure dreaming, because I cannot afford one

But I agree with what the pathdoc had said. If you work on film and digital FA lenses are the best option.
10-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF without quick-shift?

I've tolerated it on the DA L 18-55 and the Tamron 17-50/2.8,
but generally speaking, it's a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.
Stay away from the FA Limiteds for this reason? Not me.

QS is nice to have but when I look at shots from the 43 or 77, I don't think, "I wish I'd got the DA 40 and DA 70 for their QS".

Depends on AF accuracy and what you are shooting of course. For birds in trees, QS is very handy.

Last edited by Des; 10-28-2015 at 05:02 PM.
10-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

In all honesty if you didn't use the FA ltd for that reason you really missed something outstanding.

I agree quickshift can be quite usefull but we finally start to have fast and accurate AF with the K3. You can select the of center point you want as focus, put it say on the eye or anything else that make sense for you and let the AF does its job. This work well with the FA77 even at f/1.8...

10-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I read your post as saying that the FA lenses are "the most useful Pentax lenses of all".

And as for those old-fashioned cameras where the sensor only lasts for 36 shots,
I've got plenty of Tak, K, M, and A lenses that work really well on those,
with a nice long focus throw that isn't compromised by AF.
I agree, it's better to optimize new lenses for reasonable new cameras instead of having to compromise design to keep best compatibility with old cameras.
I do not find it very enjoyable to use AF lenses on old manual focus cameras. Not even FA limited lenses can compare in using an old manual focus lens with silk smooth focus ring with long throw, and an aperture ring with just the right feeling.

IMO standard FA series lenses are kind of worst of both worlds. Loud AF with crappy feeling on focus ring, and the general build quality is not the best. FA limited are much better in build quality, but far from optimized for best AF or manual handling. Pentax can do much better on new lenses if the focus on best design for today's and future cameras.

Cameras having compatibility with old lenses is nice, but designing new lenses to be backward compatible with very old cameras can make it difficult to be competitive.
10-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
*sigh*

I was merely trying to make the point that of all the Pentax lens series, the FA lenses had the best and most complete backward AND forward compatibility of the lot (at the present time), NOT that we shouldn't be striving to improve optical and AF performance.
10-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I was merely trying to make the point that of all the Pentax lens series, the FA lenses had the best and most complete backward AND forward compatibility of the lot (at the present time).
Our reactions arose from the "most useful" tag in the headline.

As someone who appreciates focusing MF lenses,
even on modern digital bodies,
I would find the A series to be the most useful forward and backward compatible series.

In other words, for overall compatibility across the whole range of K-mount bodies,
I'd rather give up on AF in order to have full MF functionality.
Of course, that's a personal choice, but the A 50/1.2 makes it a very compelling one!

You've certainly opened up an interesting discussion.
10-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #26
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was merely trying to make the point that of all the Pentax lens series, the FA lenses had the best and most complete backward AND forward compatibility of the lot (at the present time), NOT that we shouldn't be striving to improve optical and AF performance.
It's a good point, and thanks for starting an interesting thread, @Pathdoc.

Maybe the bigger question is, how much does backward and forward compatibility matter to the majority of Pentax users who these days are shooting only digital? OK, aperture rings for macro extension tubes etc, but I suspect most digital users would get an FA lens either because it offers something special (like the Limiteds), or has no counterpart in the DA/DFA range (e.g. FA 50 f1.4, FA*400 f5.6), or is a cheaper alternative to a DA/DFA lens (e.g. FA*300 f4.5, or maybe FA 24-90 for the forthcoming full frame camera). Otherwise the improved coatings, quieter AF, QS, WR and so on will draw digital users to the more recent lenses.

Last edited by Des; 10-29-2015 at 03:38 PM.
10-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
There are quite a number of duds in the FA lines, especially the cheap zooms.

There are no real duds in the DA line.

I think the high-quality FAs are great (though some, like the 80-200, do suffer from CA) but there's no contest that, in general, the DA line is more consistently good, optically. Add quick-shift, improved and improving coatings, WR and the recent DC motor, and the DA have nothing to be ashamed of.

Re-release the FA limiteds with HD coatings, WR and DC focusing and people will be all over the place buying them, of course.
I owned the FA* 80-200 f2.8 for a while and did not find problems in high contrast situations with purple fringing, in fact that lens near the DA* 200 f2.8 in that respect. But I may have missed the CA - what would it manifest as with that lens and in what situations?

---------- Post added 10-29-15 at 08:34 PM ----------

Also my view on quiet focus in a theatre is that many don't allow it but when allowed I switch to manual focus anyway since the light is generally poor and it can lead to missed focus and angry stares even with SDM.

Additionally the FA series is quite nice but I tend to prefer the F series. Lastly since my favorite Pentax film body is the PZ-1 I don't mind a lack of an aperture ring for most lenses.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-29-2015 at 05:35 PM.
10-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #28
Forum Member

i don't think the fa limiteds being a little bit bigger if they had to be to accommodate wr at the least. the 20-40 is wr and that isn't that big. i think the only reason why it isn't in the other da hd limiteds is design probably. for their new ff line of limiteds if/when they produce them would be foolish to not be wr like the rest of the dfa line of lenses. canon has it on their top o the line primes it looks like and they have STM? motors in their cheapest lenses now instead of screw drive. the 24mm in particular i think it was is like the size of the da 21 probably and has it in there. pentax's expansive aw support would be even better if they continued to their primes so they'd be an option in adverse conditions. it'd be one more selling point of why you're paying the premium over getting a 3rd party lens. although sigmas top products are about same price as an da/fa limited right now, but who knows how a new line of limiteds would compare price wise.

---------- Post added 10-29-15 at 09:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lastly since my favorite Pentax film body is the PZ-1 I don't mind a lack of an aperture ring for most lenses.
comparing to canon again, they do not have aperture rings either. while the new lenses should be able to work on film cameras, i don't think adding an aperture ring to them is appropriate. if you don't have auto aperture film body, then just buy fa/f/a/m/k lenses? its not like you're going to need autofocus if it doesn't auto aperture and why use a lens that costs so much more if there are cheaper alternatives. it really wouldn't make sense for them to support aperture ring especially if everyone is so concerned with the size.
10-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #29
Pentaxian

*sigh*

I'm not talking about optical or AF performance, I'm taking about features on the lens and how well they work in real use.

FA-series has a wide compatibility, but there are other lenses with better backward compatibility, and other with better forward compatibility. Which type of lens you might prefer depends on how you are going to use the lens, and on what camera you are going to use.

But I guess that 90+% of new Pentax lenses sold are going to be used on DSLR solely, so backward compatibility on lenses is not very important for a large majority of the users. It's much more important that the camera is backward compatible with old lenses.
10-30-2015, 01:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I'm not talking about optical or AF performance, I'm taking about features on the lens and how well they work in real use.

FA-series has a wide compatibility, but there are other lenses with better backward compatibility, and other with better forward compatibility. Which type of lens you might prefer depends on how you are going to use the lens, and on what camera you are going to use.

But I guess that 90+% of new Pentax lenses sold are going to be used on DSLR solely, so backward compatibility on lenses is not very important for a large majority of the users. It's much more important that the camera is backward compatible with old lenses.
I agree, +1